Dual-voltage amps with Omega Super 6 XRS

lousyreeds1

Dual-voltage amps with Omega Super 6 XRS
« on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm »
Hi all,

I'm about to receive a lightly used pair of Omega Super 6 XRS speakers.  I've been eyeing these for many years and am very excited to see and hear them!  I know there are lots of amp recommendations out there, but does anyone have a dual-voltage amp that they particularly like with the Omegas?  I move every few years and don't want to constantly have to buy and sell equipment...

The Red Wine Sig 15 is of course a major player here, but I would love to find a cheaper option, preferably with tubes...  If I can't find anything I'm probably looking at the mid-fi route at least for now, which would be a little sad!

Many thanks!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Dual-voltage amps with Omega Super 6 XRS
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:53 pm »
The $899 Ideal Innovations Elite 80 PP 6AV5 20w/ch tube amp is made in Canada and is a fabulous amp.  It would be a perfect mate with your Omega speakers and can be ordered dual voltage for an extra $200.  Ideal Innovations are a very nice outfit to deal with too.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:00 am »
Thanks for the recommendation!  To show you just how picky I am - I need something with at least two sets of RCA inputs.  Looks like a great amp, but by the time I paid for all the necessary add ons I think I'd be close to the price of a RWA Sig 15.  Honestly, I think the writing is on the wall and it's just a matter of saving up some cash...

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2012, 05:16 am »
Although the Super 6 XRSs will sound great with solid state amplification, they LOVE tubes.  I would still go with the Elite 80 and add on the extra input.

The Elite 80 with the 4.5" Omega Super Five Monitor in a 25' x 13' x 9' ceiling room will produce a huge sound with no sub required and the Super 6 XRS will be even better.  I think you would have an incredible match if you went with the Elite 80.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2012, 05:09 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the single-ended Elite 40SE?  Looks like a new model.  The pricing on both of these would blow past the Red Wine Sig 15 pretty fast (dual voltage option is $350, not to mention extra inputs and volume control), and the return policy is full of major caveats and restocking fees unlike RWA, but it's still worth looking into.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm »
I have experience with both, and I still recommend the Elite 80.  It is fast, lively, punchy, and has bass control like a solid state amp.  On the Super 6 it will feel like 50w/ch.  The Elite 40SE is warmer, smoother, and a little more 3D in its soundstage, but it does not pack the punch or have the dynamics the Elite 80 has.  When I compare the soundstage between the two, they are both stellar, but the Elite 40SE has that SET depth to it that in general a PP can't quite match up to.  That said, both amps have a killer soundstage that will beat most solid state amps.  The Super 6 will be a shoe in for either of these amps.  You just have to choose your priorities in an amp.  As far as Ideal's return policy, I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it is very doubtful you will return the amp.