DIY Amplifier/Preamp books

pickens

DIY Amplifier/Preamp books
« on: 1 May 2020, 02:49 pm »
Hi all,
I'm moving on from listening and tweaking to making and building.  I appreciate forums and the wealth of knowledge that is there, but I usually prefer to get my information from one or two sources in depth and then work through the forums to answer the questions that I have after reading.  So, any recommended, recent books on amp/preamp design.  I'm looking for both theory and the practical application of it.  I've surfed around on Amazon and other places and I've looked at recent books by Igor Popovich, Douglas Self, and Bob Cordell.  Any pros and cons with those or better sources out there?  Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 1 May 2020, 06:14 pm by pickens »

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: DIY Amplifier/Preamp books
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2020, 09:02 pm »
The Douglas Self, and Bob Cordell books a excellent.
Have zero knowledge of Igor Popovich.
Looking further, I see that the Igor Popovich books are about vacuum tubes, no wounder that I never heard of him.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2020, 09:46 pm »
Hi all,
I'm moving on from listening and tweaking to making and building.  I appreciate forums and the wealth of knowledge that is there, but I usually prefer to get my information from one or two sources in depth and then work through the forums to answer the questions that I have after reading.  So, any recommended, recent books on amp/preamp design.  I'm looking for both theory and the practical application of it.  I've surfed around on Amazon and other places and I've looked at recent books by Igor Popovich, Douglas Self, and Bob Cordell.  Any pros and cons with those or better sources out there?  Many thanks!
If you are not a experiencied electronic tech dont mess with amp/preamps mainly tubed, there are many precautions to be taken and many unforeseen events can happen, for this reason and others there is no book that teaches how to build amps.
Stay safe.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2020, 09:52 pm »
Continue to hid under your bed... the World is way to dangerous to explore...   :popcorn:

I have a old (like 1950s era book on tubes, specs on what they do how they do it, with list of primary simple circuits .. tubes and graphs of the linear range of each.. It is here someplace.. Impossible to replace anyway. It was discarded from the local library and I snatched it up! $2

The one thing I would suggest is the amp camp folks. https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218
The link is to the store but IN the store page are links TO the Nelson Pass amp camp etc.
Nelson Pass and a bunch of guys run this unusual amp camp each year and build some strange amp! Some of them became famous.
Anyway if "I" wanted to get into building amps they are the #1 place I would start looking.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2020, 09:55 pm »
Continue to hid under your bed... the World is way to dangerous to explore...  :duh:
You get the gest.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2020, 10:00 pm »
LOL

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2020, 10:23 pm »
While not a book exactly, Rod Elliott has many papers and projects.
https://sound-au.com/