Vintage Knight/Allied KN2360 speaker repair

taperpowell

Vintage Knight/Allied KN2360 speaker repair
« on: 15 Mar 2020, 04:23 am »
One of the odd projects that has come my way is a pair of 2-way Knight KN2360 speakers with unbranded, but clearly JBL-manufactured drivers.  No JBL labels, but tweeters that look like LE20-1, PR-10 passive radiators (such as were used in JBL Lancer 77's), and 123-1 woofers.  Everything works, except for one tweeter (used LE20-1 ordered).  They must be at least 40, maybe 50 years old.  The crossover looks like a resistor between the L-pad and the tweeter, never saw anything else like it.  Crossovers may need help due to age, but I don't know how to tell.  Except for the passive radiator instead of a port, I've been given to believe the speaker most similar to these in the official JBL line would have been Lancer L-88 (the 88's apparently used the same drivers).  These have linen fabric grilles, very discolored now but must have been closer to white originally; they look almost like classic AR speakers until you get close enough to realize they aren't.  (It must have been the fashion for a time, because I have seen some Bozaks with linen grilles also.)

Does anyone recognize these?  Are they worth trying to repair, even just for the experience, or would I do as well to just part out the other working drivers?  How does one test a capacitor or determine what value to use to achieve a certain known crossover point (in this case, 2000 Hz)?  I'm still a newbie at repair, but I've done enough reading to know that I only know enough to be dangerous; the more I read, so far I still only gather more questions than answers.  I suspect (or at least hope) that somewhere further down the road comes a tipping point where one begins to know at least a little about what he's doing and why.  But since I'm not there yet, I seek the experience of others who are willing to share it.  Going to replace the bad tweeter with a good one, but then what?  Any suggestions?