Internet over home electrical wires

Don_S

Internet over home electrical wires
« on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:46 pm »
Has anyone ever used this item or a similar item?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUICG?pf_rd_r=P55AMRNHE3F4MM78EX3K&pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8

My main system is Ethernet connected. But in another location I have an item that sometimes loses its wifi connection. I am wondering if this would be more stable. I am not worried about signal quality regarding music or movie streaming. I am only concerned with signal stability and adequate strength for browsing.

I do not think this will fit in my in-wall control panel. And all my ports are spoken for in the box. I would need to set this up in a spare room where there is an existing Ethernet port. Would connecting there instead of at the router work?

Thanks for any help.

Phil A

Re: Internet over home electrical wires
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:54 pm »
Yes - helped a friend with similar ones.  They work fine.  Another thing that can work is a wireless access point with eithernet connectors.  The far side (away from my office and router) of my house can get week signals.  So I have one of those.  It serves two purposes.  One is stronger ethernet on that far side.  It sits near my main system, which is an integrated AV system with an ethernet connected music server.  It allows me to connect directly to the music server and then plug things into (on a different circuit than the 2-channel system) into the wireless access point like a Blu-Ray Player and a Receiver.  Something like this works - https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Wireless-Extender-EX6200/dp/B00HQ883QW/ref=sr_1_15?crid=JI8II9YQEJH8&keywords=wireless+access+point+with+ethernet+port&qid=1583261573&sprefix=wireless+acc%2Celectronics%2C178&sr=8-15

Obviously if you just want one device, you may be better off with the power over ethernet device.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2020, 08:42 pm »
Thanks Phil. I am looking at options. I have strong wifi at my house but the device I am connecting does not have built-in wifi so I am using a USB plug-in wifi adapter.

The computer in the room where I want to place the controlling unit does not have wifi so I need a two port design which costs more. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2020, 09:46 pm »
I've used a similar device for years now, the current one being a Cisco unit. Never really had any problems, though it is slower than my available wi-fi. I just like to keep things hardwired when possible. I'd think as long as you have an Ethernet connection available it would work, though mine is connected to my modem/router.

Happy connecting.   :)

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2020, 09:52 pm »
I've been using a similar device for years with my Salkstream music server, which requires internet access for control, but does not have wireless. Mine is a D-Link unit, and was plug and play.

Cornelis

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2020, 02:33 am »
Cornelis and Arthur. Thanks for the comments on specific products.