BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #360 on: 9 May 2011, 07:33 pm »
Hi James, I was just wondering if there is any update on if/when you may get back to the drive solution for the BDP?

Cheers

Hi Alpha10,

Have not really looked at it recently as the pricing issue seems to continue to be the problem.  I do not know what value we can bring to a dedicated drive given the prices of the USB drives currently out there other than matching cosmetics?

james

Alpha10

« Reply #361 on: 10 May 2011, 08:47 am »
Hi Alpha10,

Have not really looked at it recently as the pricing issue seems to continue to be the problem.  I do not know what value we can bring to a dedicated drive given the prices of the USB drives currently out there other than matching cosmetics?

james

Hi James,

I agree you cannot compete with the drives included, it is the cosmetics and convenience that are important to me. I think that what would be a great value add to the BDP is a simple drive enclosure (probably just based on an existing box such as the MPS2?) for matching cosmetics, in this have a good power supply so we do not need to use horrible wall-warts and four drive slots in the back such that we can add whatever drives we want/have? Maybe a simple USB hub such that there is a single output to the BDP?

How does that sound to others?

Cheers

terrycym

« Reply #362 on: 10 May 2011, 10:03 am »
Sounds good to me Alpha.
Only features I'd like to add is a trigger input such that the unit switches itself on when you switch on the BDP-1 and the ability to use RAID-1 or RAID-0 - selectable

It would need a sata to USB interface (I'm sure they're available off the shelf) so I could use standard drives, either solid state or mechanical ones

As far as drives sizes are concerned, we'd want to use either 3.5" or the smaller laptop types.

jas007

« Reply #363 on: 17 May 2011, 03:29 pm »
Well, I received my new Bryston BDP-1 yesterday and it sounds fantastic.  However, I seem to be having a networking problem.  Maybe someone out there has encountered the same problem?  I'm sure there's an easy solution, it's just that I'm not a computer wiz.

My setup includes a cable modem with an attached Apple Airport Extreme for Wi-Fi.  I'm using an Apple IMac (latest version). I've hard wired the BDP-1 to a spare port on the Airport Extreme.  However, sometimes the BDP-1 shows up on my system, and sometimes it doesn't.  When I turn off my computer and Bryston system and then turn it all back on again, the BDP does not show up as a device.  But if I go to the Airport Extreme and change the port that the BDP-1 is plugged into, then I can manage to get it to show up on my computer.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

klao

« Reply #364 on: 17 May 2011, 04:28 pm »
I've been using the Gnome Music Player Client (instead of MAX), on my Win7 64-bit PCs.  Happy to report back that there is no dropout at all.  Can postpone my purchase of Ipad2 or new Galaxy Tab til way later.  :thumb:

Once in a long while, the Gnome crashes and I have to restart the program, though.

Some times, I'm experiencing some hiccups or dropouts when playing music on BDP, mostly with 192/24 materials.  Ran some tests and found out that, with the same files, they occured when I use Bryston MAX / FireFox 4.0 in my notebook PC (Win7 64bit) as the controller.  No dropouts when playing with the unit's front buttons & BR-2 remote.

Should I try using FireFox 3.6 and/or Minion instead?  Or if Ipad2 can resolve the problem totally, I'll tell my wife I'll have to get it!   :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #365 on: 17 May 2011, 04:46 pm »
Well, I received my new Bryston BDP-1 yesterday and it sounds fantastic.  However, I seem to be having a networking problem.  Maybe someone out there has encountered the same problem?  I'm sure there's an easy solution, it's just that I'm not a computer wiz.

My setup includes a cable modem with an attached Apple Airport Extreme for Wi-Fi.  I'm using an Apple IMac (latest version). I've hard wired the BDP-1 to a spare port on the Airport Extreme.  However, sometimes the BDP-1 shows up on my system, and sometimes it doesn't.  When I turn off my computer and Bryston system and then turn it all back on again, the BDP does not show up as a device.  But if I go to the Airport Extreme and change the port that the BDP-1 is plugged into, then I can manage to get it to show up on my computer.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Does it reconnect if you plug and un-plug into the same port?

james

jjc1

« Reply #366 on: 17 May 2011, 05:13 pm »

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks
My audio setup is in a differnt room than my router. So I bought a Netgear Powerline adapter for the BDP1. You simply plug one adapter into an electric socket and it connects to the router via an ethernet cable. In the room with the BDP1, another adapter is connected to an electric socket and to  the BDP1 via ethernet cable. You now have a dedicated wireless connection to the BDP1 for your interface. It also is a wireless connection to the internet so that you can have internet radio thru the BDP1 and also access to album art, etc.

MttBsh

« Reply #367 on: 17 May 2011, 05:24 pm »
I have a high end CD-based audio set-up but have been doing research into incorporating network-access to my FLAC files, trying to step up to 2011. However, after reading this thread and others, and recognizing that I listen to music as my means of unwinding and relaxing, I've come to the conclusion that screwing around with network connections and drop-outs is the antithesis of relaxation. I just want to sit on my couch at night with an ice cold martini and push a button on my remote control. When I can do that with a PC based system, I will jump on it.

jas007

« Reply #368 on: 17 May 2011, 05:47 pm »
Does it reconnect if you plug and un-plug into the same port?

james

I just tried it leaving everything on and yes, it re-connected when I plugged it back in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #369 on: 17 May 2011, 06:01 pm »
My audio setup is in a differnt room than my router. So I bought a Netgear Powerline adapter for the BDP1. You simply plug one adapter into an electric socket and it connects to the router via an ethernet cable. In the room with the BDP1, another adapter is connected to an electric socket and to  the BDP1 via ethernet cable. You now have a dedicated wireless connection to the BDP1 for your interface. It also is a wireless connection to the internet so that you can have internet radio thru the BDP1 and also access to album art, etc.

That sounds like a great idea - what model Netgear do you use?

james

jjc1

« Reply #370 on: 17 May 2011, 06:08 pm »

james
I"m not at home right now. I'll check tonight and let you know.

terrycym

« Reply #371 on: 17 May 2011, 08:44 pm »
I"m not at home right now. I'll check tonight and let you know.
I have them too, XAV2501
They're good!
They have a mains socket on the front so you don't loose a socket

ricko01

« Reply #372 on: 17 May 2011, 08:51 pm »

Only issue is you now have sent "crud" down your powerline and into any components connected to the same circuit.

Vipers

« Reply #373 on: 17 May 2011, 09:49 pm »
I have a high end CD-based audio set-up but have been doing research into incorporating network-access to my FLAC files, trying to step up to 2011. However, after reading this thread and others, and recognizing that I listen to music as my means of unwinding and relaxing, I've come to the conclusion that screwing around with network connections and drop-outs is the antithesis of relaxation. I just want to sit on my couch at night with an ice cold martini and push a button on my remote control. When I can do that with a PC based system, I will jump on it.

Hi MttBsh,

I hear what you are saying but I urge you to think again, the BDP-1 is a real painless exercise in setup, mine runs faultlessly. Plus you can get access to 24bit audio and as you are not limited to the play length of a cd you can queue up and extra long playlist giving more time for relaxing and an extra large martini :)

I really can't recommend the BDP-1 highly enough.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #374 on: 17 May 2011, 10:07 pm »
...Vipers is correct! simplicity is the word that the BDP can call its own. plug in a stick or a hdd sit down and r-e-l-a-x :D. all in the name of music.

al.

jas007

« Reply #375 on: 18 May 2011, 08:48 pm »
I guess I'm now just about going crazy trying to make my BDP-1 work on my network.  This morning, when I turned everything back on (computer, BDP-1) it took three or four cycles of on and off and changing ports on my Airport Extreme to get the computer to even recognize the BDP-1 device.  Once that happens, though, the MPod remote works.  Anyway, I started fooling around with the settings on the BDP-1 and set it back to the "factory" configuration.  Now, I can't get the computer to see it at all.  Somehow, though, the MPoD on my IPod touch still works.

Could this be a problem that could be solved by assigning a static address to the device in the computer?  Assuming, that is, I can ever get the computer to see the device again.

Oh well.  I'm not that hard to please, but it would be nice if this thing worked.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #376 on: 18 May 2011, 09:25 pm »
I guess I'm now just about going crazy trying to make my BDP-1 work on my network.  This morning, when I turned everything back on (computer, BDP-1) it took three or four cycles of on and off and changing ports on my Airport Extreme to get the computer to even recognize the BDP-1 device.  Once that happens, though, the MPod remote works.  Anyway, I started fooling around with the settings on the BDP-1 and set it back to the "factory" configuration.  Now, I can't get the computer to see it at all.  Somehow, though, the MPoD on my IPod touch still works.

Could this be a problem that could be solved by assigning a static address to the device in the computer?  Assuming, that is, I can ever get the computer to see the device again.

Oh well.  I'm not that hard to please, but it would be nice if this thing worked.

Sorry you are having troubles but a static IP would help.  I do not have any experience with the Airport product though.

james

jjc1

« Reply #377 on: 18 May 2011, 10:38 pm »

james
James, the Netgear Adapter I use is  "Powerline 85 Adapter Kit. 79.99 at Best Buy. That's all you need. No use for anything more sophiscated or powerful assuming the distance from the BDP1 is a normal listening distance.(Can't see why anyone would be further away). It's also much easier to set up than a separate router.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #378 on: 18 May 2011, 10:45 pm »
James, the Netgear Adapter I use is  "Powerline 85 Adapter Kit. 79.99 at Best Buy. That's all you need. No use for anything more sophiscated or powerful assuming the distance from the BDP1 is a normal listening distance.(Can't see why anyone would be further away). It's also much easier to set up than a separate router.

Thanks a bunch for that -- I will definitely check it out :thumb:

James

jas007

« Reply #379 on: 18 May 2011, 10:51 pm »
Sorry you are having troubles but a static IP would help.  I do not have any experience with the Airport product though.

james

Thanks for listening.  I guess I'll figure it out after about 1000 hours of fooling around.