BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #320 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:50 pm »
James,

i think that the mentioned configuration is not the proper way to use the BDP-1?!

al.

saveloy

« Reply #321 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:55 pm »
Technology despises me.  This is not an observation, it is a fact. 
The only thing that has not enraged me today is my beloved BDP-1. 
I´ve been queuing up tunes since 11am.  And, aside from time in the wee wee room I´ve been enjoying the re-evaluation of my music collection.  Courtesy of my beautiful duo. 

P.S: I may consider incontinence trousers, as a future aid!

mpv

« Reply #322 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:48 pm »
James,

i think that the mentioned configuration is not the proper way to use the BDP-1?!

al.

Al,believe me.....This solution is coming from James.He recommend me this Y usb cable and BINGO,everything is OK now.You only need this cable for 750gb and up drivers,who needs more power to spin.Drivers with exterior power supply don't need to apply.

alexone

« Reply #323 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:04 pm »
ok, MPV. thanks for your input. never heard of this kind of connection before...

al.

alexone

« Reply #324 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:09 pm »
Hi Alex,

No it works fine and the only one confused is ME :scratch:

james

James,

what is confusing you?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #325 on: 12 Apr 2011, 05:25 pm »
James,

what is confusing you?

al.

LIFE :lol:

james

alexone

klao

« Reply #327 on: 18 Apr 2011, 09:57 am »
Some times, I'm experiencing some hiccups or dropouts when playing music on BDP, mostly with 192/24 materials.  Ran some tests and found out that, with the same files, they occured when I use Bryston MAX / FireFox 4.0 in my notebook PC (Win7 64bit) as the controller.  No dropouts when playing with the unit's front buttons & BR-2 remote.

Should I try using FireFox 3.6 and/or Minion instead?  Or if Ipad2 can resolve the problem totally, I'll tell my wife I'll have to get it!   :lol:

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #328 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:11 am »
Some times, I'm experiencing some hiccups or dropouts when playing music on BDP, mostly with 192/24 materials.  Ran some tests and found out that, with the same files, they occured when I use Bryston MAX / FireFox 4.0 in my notebook PC (Win7 64bit) as the controller.  No dropouts when playing with the unit's front buttons & BR-2 remote.

Should I try using FireFox 3.6 and/or Minion instead?  Or if Ipad2 can resolve the problem totally, I'll tell my wife I'll have to get it!   :lol:

Thank you.

Hi Klao,

It is worth a try - I use the iTouch and the iPad with no issues.  I also have minion on a Laptop I sometimes use as well.

What type of USB drive and how many drives are you using?

james

terrycym

« Reply #329 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:43 am »
Hi Klao,

It is worth a try - I use the iTouch and the iPad with no issues.  I also have minion on a Laptop I sometimes use as well.

james
Hi James,

I don't understand any of this!
Please explain why you believe the conroller software Minion/Max should cause drop-outs on replay? And why would the platform they are running on make any difference, PC or iPAD. They're just sending data over the UTP connection surely?
These are just controllers providing control squences to the BDP-1 and shoudn't affect playback, unless the BDP-1 is very poorly designed.
I'm confused.

Terry

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #330 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:49 am »
Hi Klao,

I use the iPad2 with MPaD and no drop outs. I had problems with drop outs using the Bryston interface running either Firefox or Safari. I would get that iPad2. Once you start using the MPaD app there will be no turning back.
Ned

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #331 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:19 pm »
Hi James,

I don't understand any of this!
Please explain why you believe the conroller software Minion/Max should cause drop-outs on replay? And why would the platform they are running on make any difference, PC or iPAD. They're just sending data over the UTP connection surely?
These are just controllers providing control squences to the BDP-1 and shoudn't affect playback, unless the BDP-1 is very poorly designed.
I'm confused.

Terry

Hi Terry

That's why I asked about the drives. Usually the drives would cause dropouts due to excessive computer resources being consumed?

James

terrycym

« Reply #332 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm »
Hi Terry

That's why I asked about the drives. Usually the drives would cause dropouts due to excessive computer resources being consumed?

James

Thanks James,

What are you suggesting, if the drives are slow (maybe?) then you could have drop-out issues?

Terry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #333 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:34 pm »
Thanks James,

What are you suggesting, if the drives are slow (maybe?) then you could have drop-out issues?

TerryN

No nothing to do with speed. It has to do with the power supply being loaded down if your using some older drives and that can affect the resources's available.

Also when your using the Bryston webbased Max or Mini interface your using more computer resources's than a dedicated APP like mPad or mPod.

I have had no issues with Max or Mini in my 3 setups.

James

terrycym

« Reply #334 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm »
No nothing to do with speed. It has to do with the power supply being loaded down if your using some older drives and that can affect the resources's available.

Also when your using the Bryston webbased Max or Mini interface your using more computer resources's than a dedicated APP like mPad or mPod.

I have had no issues with Max or Mini in my 3 setups.

James
Now that you've explained it that way, it makes more sense now.
Thanks,
Terry

klao

« Reply #335 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:57 pm »
It's the external HDD that got this problem, specifically the Buffalo DriveStation HD-LB2.0TU2 (2TB).  This is the only drive attached to the BDP-1 via its back USB port.  The HDD has its own power supply/cord.

http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=th&code=2&id=514

Sometimes, rebooting the BDP-1 (and this drive) helped.

Hi Klao,

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #336 on: 18 Apr 2011, 04:07 pm »
It's the external HDD that got this problem, specifically the Buffalo DriveStation HD-LB2.0TU2 (2TB).  This is the only drive attached to the BDP-1 via its back USB port.  The HDD has its own power supply/cord.

http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=th&code=2&id=514

Sometimes, rebooting the BDP-1 (and this drive) helped.

Ok it might be worth investing in a 2.5 500GB or 750GB USB drive and see if the problem goes away - much cheaper than an iPad 2 :D

james

terrycym

« Reply #337 on: 18 Apr 2011, 07:11 pm »
Ok it might be worth investing in a 2.5 500GB or 750GB USB drive and see if the problem goes away - much cheaper than an iPad 2 :D

james
Speaking of which....
Still waiting on the Bryston hard disk solution :whip:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #338 on: 18 Apr 2011, 07:32 pm »
Speaking of which....
Still waiting on the Bryston hard disk solution :whip:

Hi Terry,

I am not feeling as pressured now about it due to the new BDP-1 software allowing for attached file memory.

james

alexone

« Reply #339 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:55 am »
i have 2 hdd (500gb + 1tb) connected to the BDP-1. both are NTSF. the 500gb seems to have serious issues...the player doesn't has promptly access to the files. both hdd are new (WD) and 2.5".
have to check...

al.