BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

skunark

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #300 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:11 am »
The only time I experienced this was with the Bryston interface (max). It has never been a problem with the MPoD client. The two interfaces are different (I think). It is interesting that the best performance I get is with a 2 TB WD Caviar Black hard disk (a drive that should be way beyond what is needed, but it has a huge buffer). Also make sure the hard drives have been defragmented as this will improve performance.
Ned

Good observation, now that i think about it, when i was syncing, updating and playing when the drop out occurred I was also selecting songs through the MAX webpage... so perhaps that needs to be tuned a bit more?

BrysTony

« Reply #301 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:07 am »
I have had my BDP-1 for 3 months now and I have never experienced a dropout.  I am running a SSD and thumbdrives.  I have not used a HDD.
Tony

klao

« Reply #302 on: 4 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm »
Hi James & all,

I just picked up my new BDA-1 (17"-silver) with new buttons a few hours ago.  So which setup sounds better, BDP-1 on top, or BDA-1 on top?  Just kidding.   :P

A really serious question is that I also got the BR2 remote this time.  No problem coding it to use with the DAC because BR2 manual mentioned how to.  I can't find the instruction anywhere on how use the remote with BDP-1 and do coding, though.  Please help.  Thank you.

Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #303 on: 4 Apr 2011, 04:24 pm »
Hi James & all,

I just picked up my new BDA-1 (17"-silver) with new buttons a few hours ago.  So which setup sounds better, BDP-1 on top, or BDA-1 on top?  Just kidding.   :P

A really serious question is that I also got the BR2 remote this time.  No problem coding it to use with the DAC because BR2 manual mentioned how to.  I can't find the instruction anywhere on how use the remote with BDP-1 and do coding, though.  Please help.  Thank you.

Klao

Hi Klao,

The BR2 DAC button has to be pushed to control the BDP-1.

james

klao

« Reply #304 on: 4 Apr 2011, 04:28 pm »
Oops!  Thanks, James.
OK, it's working now.  :duh:

Hi Klao,

The BR2 DAC button has to be pushed to control the BDP-1.

james

klao

« Reply #305 on: 4 Apr 2011, 05:47 pm »
James,

Should we engage the "upsample" button in the BDA-1 when playing files from BDP-1 whose resolutions are less than say 88KHz/24bit, or always on might be best no matter?  Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #306 on: 4 Apr 2011, 06:08 pm »
James,

Should we engage the "upsample" button in the BDA-1 when playing files from BDP-1 whose resolutions are less than say 88KHz/24bit, or always on might be best no matter?  Thanks.

Tough one as there seems to be a 50/50 split on whether you should strictly play files in their Native resolution only. :scratch:

james

klao

« Reply #307 on: 7 Apr 2011, 03:30 am »
Thank you, James.  I think I'll just play them at native resolution.  BTW, upgrading the firmware file you sent was successful.   :thumb:

Another question:  while the BPD-1 is still turn on, can we just unplug the thumb drive / HDD that the machine is not playing the files from?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #308 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:57 am »
Thank you, James.  I think I'll just play them at native resolution.  BTW, upgrading the firmware file you sent was successful.   :thumb:

Another question:  while the BPD-1 is still turn on, can we just unplug the thumb drive / HDD that the machine is not playing the files from?

Hi klao

Yes you can unplug a USB and it will be removed from the menu on your interface and front panel display. You will have to refresh the interface to show that the drive was disconnected.  Same for plugging in a new USB drive.

James

terrycym

« Reply #309 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:09 pm »
James,

Assuming it won't damage anything, what happens if you try it and if you do, can you hear a difference?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #310 on: 7 Apr 2011, 03:09 pm »
Assuming it won't damage anything, what happens if you try it and if you do, can you hear a difference?

Yes it may cause serious impotency  :lol:

james

terrycym

« Reply #311 on: 7 Apr 2011, 03:41 pm »
Yes it may cause serious impotency  :lol:

james
What, Bryston ownership can seriously damage your health?
Or is that wealth??

jas007

« Reply #312 on: 8 Apr 2011, 07:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been asked to show the type of cables and connectors the BDP-1 utilizes:

AES-EBU 110 ohm Digital cable

BNC to BNC 75 ohm Digital Cable

BNC to RCA (COAX) Digital Cable

james

Hello Everyone,

New Bryston owner here.  So far this week, I've got a new 4BSST2, a new B6 preamp, and a BDA-1 that is still on its way.  So far, everything sounds fantastic (B&W 805 Nautilus speakers), although I'm only listening to some Vinyl so far.  In any event, I suppose I'll buy a new BDP-1 in a few weeks.  I want to have a library of lossless files loaded onto drives dedicated for playback though the BDP-1.  My computers are an I-Mac and a MacBook Air. 

Since I'm starting from scratch, what cables should I use to connect the BDP-1 to the external DAC?  Price isn't an object, really.  I just want what's best.  I intend to connect the BDP-1 to my network via an ethernet cable, and control the whole thing via an IPAD or an IPod Touch.

Anything else I'm missing?

John

Heckler75

« Reply #313 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:02 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Samsung Galaxy Tablet – Android
OS 

Feb 2011

Hi Folks,

Another device you can use to control the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player is the ‘Samsung Galaxy Tablet’ running the (2.2) Android operating system.

The BDP-1 works well using the ‘MPDroid’ music player interface. Looks like the standard Android music player except controls Linux MPD.

Log on to the internet and go to the 'MARKET' icon on the Galaxy Tablet desktop and download the 'MPDROID APP (it’s free) by searching 'MPD'

NOTE: - currently need to put the IP Address in HOST (not- bryston-bdp-1.local)

(The Tablet will also run the Bryston ‘MINI’ application and we recommend using the Android Zirco Browser (available free on Android Market Place.    http://market.android.com/search?q=zirco.)

James Tanner
Bryston

Will   this   app  "MPDROID"   work on my  Samsung  galaxy  cell  phone (2.2 android)

klao

« Reply #314 on: 9 Apr 2011, 08:15 am »
If I remember correctly, James said Bryston engineers seem to prefer AES/EBU over SPDIF for the BDP-1.  I suppose this preference is based on some engineering principles rather than optimizing the AES/EBU output. 

Basically, I wonder if same care were taken for both kinds of outputs in the BDP-1 when designing, choosing parts, and manufacturing the units.  Along the same line, how about different digital inputs of the BDA-1?

Comments from the field from those who have tried both AES/EBU and SPDIF connections for the BDP-1 & BDA-1 combo would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #315 on: 9 Apr 2011, 10:38 am »
Hi klao

Yes it is very important that attention be paid to the connections with digital gear. Digital signals operate at very high frequencies so the potential for signal reflection etc are significant. The BDA DAC has impedance matching transformers at the inputs to prevent problems and the outputs on the BDP are optimized as well.

The BNC connection is a true 75 Ohm connection and that's why we prefer it over COAX. So if you use a BNC cable with a BNC connection the signal path is predictable. The advantage of the AES EBU Digital connection is it has twice the voltage swing on it's output. The input devices really seem to like this.

So by all means give the BNC and AES a try with the BDP and see what you think. By the way the BNC cable and connectors should be 75 ohms and the AES should be 110 ohms. Available on our website if you have trouble finding some.

http://bryston.com/specsel.html

James

mpv

« Reply #316 on: 9 Apr 2011, 09:48 pm »
hi, folks!

anyone out there who noticed droputs while playing songs with the BDP-1 ? i did :o. not too often but now and then it happens...
the connected hdd is a 2,5" WD. maybe i should try a hdd with an external power supply ?

any ideas anyone??

thanks,

al :scratch:.
Yes,I had this problem.If you use 1TB 2.5 drive,you'll need a double headed usb cable.Than your drive will suck power from both usb back connection.Using this cable eliminate any dropouts.
enjoy

saveloy

« Reply #317 on: 10 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm »
I experienced a couple of drop outs earlier this week. 
I re-ripped the problem tracks/albums and bingo!  All is now well. 

Kyri

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #318 on: 10 Apr 2011, 07:56 pm »
mpv,

thanks for your reply. but just to make sure: are you using both usb inputs at the back of the BDP-1 with one single (two headed) usb cable that is connected with your external hdd??
i could imagine that this configuration could confuse the BDP-1?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #319 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:40 pm »
mpv,

thanks for your reply. but just to make sure: are you using both usb inputs at the back of the BDP-1 with one single (two headed) usb cable that is connected with your external hdd??
i could imagine that this configuration could confuse the BDP-1?

al.

Hi Alex,

No it works fine and the only one confused is ME :scratch:

james