BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

pbnmjk

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #960 on: 4 Jun 2015, 06:44 pm »
Hello, I have a 16TB RAID 5 with 1TGB usable (4 x 4TB HDs) with more than 70,000 songs now and expecting complete around 140,000. Now my question to the users is:

What is the maximum files quantity are you using/used with the BDP-1?

I want to know how this work in the real life, is the reason becasuse I ask to the users.

Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2015, 01:15 am by pbnmjk »

ishmael010

« Reply #961 on: 4 Jun 2015, 11:45 pm »
Bryston BDP-1 crowd-Which is advisable, to turn my
BDP-1 off after every use, or leave it on? 

Regards!

Dane

Mag

« Reply #962 on: 5 Jun 2015, 12:04 am »
Hello, I have a 16GB RAID 5 with 12GB usable (4 x 4GB HDs) with more than 70,000 songs now and expecting complete around 140,000. Now my question to the users is:

What is the maximum files quantity are you using/used with the BDP-1?

I want to know how this work in the real life, is the reason becasuse I ask to the users.

Thanks in advance...

I'm in the process of re-mastering all my favourites. So I'm using 32 gig sticks, one fore electronic, one for rock, and one for pop. I'm planning on using 64 gigs for the rest of my collection. Then I want to get one large drive for back up.

I don't like going too large as I find it more cumbersome to scroll through songs. My system isn't well organized other than alphabetical and the 4 jump drives for regular use. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #963 on: 5 Jun 2015, 12:07 am »
Bryston BDP-1 crowd-Which is advisable, to turn my
BDP-1 off after every use, or leave it on? 

Regards!

Dane

I shut mine down every night, but on the weekend I leave it on 24/7 as well as the rest of my gear. 8)

pbnmjk

« Reply #964 on: 5 Jun 2015, 01:11 am »
I'm in the process of re-mastering all my favourites. So I'm using 32 gig sticks, one fore electronic, one for rock, and one for pop. I'm planning on using 64 gigs for the rest of my collection. Then I want to get one large drive for back up.

I don't like going too large as I find it more cumbersome to scroll through songs. My system isn't well organized other than alphabetical and the 4 jump drives for regular use. :smoke:

Thank you for your feedback, at the present time I'm using a Macbook Pro 16Gb RAM plus Audirvana+ with the RAID connected using Firewire 800 to the MBP and all flow without problems to my BDA-1 through a Wireworld USB, but I want to remove the computer from middle and I have the opportunity of buy a BDP-1. My library is organized by iTunes. Do you think the BDP-1 have the power to move all this music?

PS: I corrected the size of the RAID, I wrote GB instead of TB.

generichs

« Reply #965 on: 5 Jun 2015, 01:40 am »
I have a 2TB hard drive that works with BDP1.  I don't think the size of the drive matters.  It comes down to software.  My 4TB NAS Drive won't connect to BDP1, but since I only play from Flashdrives for best fidelity, the NAS drive is only used for storage.

pbnmjk

« Reply #966 on: 5 Jun 2015, 02:40 am »
I have a 2TB hard drive that works with BDP1.  I don't think the size of the drive matters.  It comes down to software.  My 4TB NAS Drive won't connect to BDP1, but since I only play from Flashdrives for best fidelity, the NAS drive is only used for storage.

Thank you for your feedback... I'm concerned about the file quantity the BDP-1 can manage without issues.

Krutsch

« Reply #967 on: 5 Jun 2015, 04:20 pm »
Thank you for your feedback... I'm concerned about the file quantity the BDP-1 can manage without issues.

FWIW, I have more than 13,000 tracks on an attached USB drive with a BDP-1. I've experimented with USB Flash drives (128 GB and another 512 GB), as well as NAS (WD MyCloud). The attached USB drive is fastest for library generation (it's a powered, 7200 rpm drive).

The internal MPD playback software, and associated apps (e.g. MPad and MPDroid) work without breaking a sweat; library generation from scratch takes only a few minutes; playback is flawless. My guess is that my library could be a LOT larger with the same user experience.

Manic Moose works, as well, once your library and cover art are generated; that can take a seriously long time with a larger collection. I've been downloading the BETAs as they appear and the library issues are improving.

pbnmjk

« Reply #968 on: 7 Jun 2015, 12:54 am »
FWIW, I have more than 13,000 tracks on an attached USB drive with a BDP-1. I've experimented with USB Flash drives (128 GB and another 512 GB), as well as NAS (WD MyCloud). The attached USB drive is fastest for library generation (it's a powered, 7200 rpm drive).

The internal MPD playback software, and associated apps (e.g. MPad and MPDroid) work without breaking a sweat; library generation from scratch takes only a few minutes; playback is flawless. My guess is that my library could be a LOT larger with the same user experience.

Manic Moose works, as well, once your library and cover art are generated; that can take a seriously long time with a larger collection. I've been downloading the BETAs as they appear and the library issues are improving.

Thank you Krutsch, your answer is very helpful to me... I'm asking because Bryston say it can work with 30.000 files, and I have more than double...
I can understand from what you said, it depend more of the software...
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2015, 02:25 am by pbnmjk »

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #969 on: 15 Jun 2015, 02:49 am »
Hi James,

Is there a "compiled FAQ" or "known bug list" for the latest firmware of the BDP-2 ?

I just took possession of my BDP-2 a few weeks ago and I'd like to see if the problems/situation I am experiencing are already in the process of being adressed without posting them again...

Or just I simply dump everything here ?   :D

Thanks!

Take care!

AJE

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #970 on: 15 Jun 2015, 09:32 am »
Hi James,

Is there a "compiled FAQ" or "known bug list" for the latest firmware of the BDP-2 ?

I just took possession of my BDP-2 a few weeks ago and I'd like to see if the problems/situation I am experiencing are already in the process of being adressed without posting them again...

Or just I simply dump everything here ?   :D

Thanks!

Take care!

AJE

Hi

Yes please let us know what issues you are having - so far I am not aware of any major issues with the latest software.

james

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #971 on: 16 Jun 2015, 01:33 am »
Hi James,

Sorry if I sounded alarming...  The BDP-2 works without any major issues.

The problem I'm referring to are mostly "little annoyance" or simply not properly understood on my side.

But I've just seen there's been an update I don't have (S2.14 2015-06-08).  I'll update first and check if any of my concern have already been addressed.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Take care!

Rocket

« Reply #972 on: 18 Jun 2015, 03:03 pm »
Hi Guys,

Considering purchasing a dealer demo Bryston Bdp 1 and just wondering if it is coax out?

Thanks

Regards Rod

srb

« Reply #973 on: 18 Jun 2015, 03:51 pm »
Considering purchasing a dealer demo Bryston Bdp 1 and just wondering if it is coax out?

If it's not the currently available BDP-1USB (USB output only) but the previous BDP-1, it has an S/PDIF BNC Coaxial output and AES/EBU XLR output.

Steve

Rocket

« Reply #974 on: 18 Jun 2015, 11:10 pm »
Hi Steve,

The dealer demo is the previous model.  Looks like I will have to order an xlr balanced cable.

Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #975 on: 19 Jun 2015, 03:06 am »
Hi Guys,

Just ordered a Bryston Bdp 1 from my Australian dealer which is located in Melbourne.  I live in Perth which is about 2000 miles away. We are a small market :)

Luckily, I was able to purchase a brand new unit but this is the older version of the Bdp 1.  Hoping that it sounds great and is easy to setup.  I am a clux with computers.  Also bought an AES/EBU cable.  Looking forward to storing my cd's in the attic.

Cheers Rod

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #976 on: 19 Jun 2015, 07:44 am »
Hi Rod,

With the current firmware, Bryston has made operation/use of the BPD series pretty user friendly. And if you run into a hiccup, just post here!

- Garrett

Norton

« Reply #977 on: 19 Jun 2015, 01:49 pm »
Rod

Would be worth asking the dealer to load the latest firmware before taking delivery.  If it's an original BDP 1it could still be on much older firmware -  so you can get started with the latest and best.

Not that's it's much hassle to do yourself, I've had no problems but apparently it can go wrong sometimes.

R. Daneel

« Reply #978 on: 19 Jun 2015, 03:55 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just ordered a Bryston Bdp 1 from my Australian dealer which is located in Melbourne.  I live in Perth which is about 2000 miles away. We are a small market :)

Luckily, I was able to purchase a brand new unit but this is the older version of the Bdp 1.  Hoping that it sounds great and is easy to setup.  I am a clux with computers.  Also bought an AES/EBU cable.  Looking forward to storing my cd's in the attic.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod!

The BDP-1 is every bit as good as the BDP-2 when audio quality is in question. The "new" BDP-1USB is essentially a BDP-1 without BNC and XLR output so even if the BDP-1 is an older model, it is better than the BDP-1USB. I bought the BDP-1 last year, two weeks before the company discontinued it so it is one of the very last few that were made but let me tell you, I did this with a specific purpose. The BDP-2 had features I do not need so I felt the substantial difference in ptice (1000 Euro) was not worth it for me.

You will like the BDP-1 player.

Cheers!
Antun

Rocket

« Reply #979 on: 20 Jun 2015, 05:03 am »
Hi Guys,

Looks like I'm going to get lots of friendly help in this circle.  I've been reading James Tanner's posts for years and it is such a friendly circle.  One of the reasons I bought the Bryston Bdp1 is because of the back up.

I'll post when the unit arrives here in Perth.  It has 2000 miles to travel to get to me.

Cheers Rod