BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

R. Daneel

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #900 on: 4 Jan 2015, 04:21 pm »
A BDP-1 should handle 192khz just fine, you should try upgrading the firmware.  That firmware will require the BDP placed into service mode to be updated by us.  Service mode is covered on page 24 or 26 in the manic moose manual.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, check your PM. I read the manual and have sent you a message but got no reply from you.

Cheers!
Antun

docder

Manic Moose CD Backup App
« Reply #901 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:33 pm »
Hi,

I see mention in the firmware updates of a CD backup App. Is this available on the BDP-?  If so, how does it functiuon.

Thank you,

David

WillyC3

« Reply #902 on: 21 Jan 2015, 08:15 pm »
I am debating what hardware to buy as a digital music player / DAC.  I was originally considering the Sony HAP-Z1ES, am intrigued by the new Cocktail Audio X40 as a combined solution, but my audio advisor recommends the Bryston BDP-1USB, coupled to the Bryston BDA-3 DAC when it comes out this spring.

I mostly play lossless ripped and hi-rez FLAC files (as well as some downloaded DSDs) stored on my Windows 8 PC hard drive using J River software, connected to my Oppo BDP-105 as a USB DAC, into a Bryston B135 Integrated Amp driving B&W CM-10 speakers.  I also have several dozen SACDs I play using my Oppo.

I would appreciate feedback on some questions related to the Bryston solution as I ponder my decision:

1) What control software/web page would I be using on my Windows 8 Surface Pro 3 to play music on the BDP-1USB in place of the J River software?  What would be the user experience relative to J River type functionality?

2) What type of USB hard drives are recommended to connect to the BDP1-USB?  Separately powered?  What about SSDs?

3) What file structure works best to organize my collection on the hard drive I would connect to the BDP1-USB, i.e. Artist/Album/Songs or other?  Include a PDF with album art in each file folder?  I have about 1800 discs/albums worth of digital material.

4) It looks like I would be able to play my SACDs using the Oppo as a transport and the BDA-3 as a DAC when it is available, correct?

5) One attraction of the Cocktail X40 is using it's HDMI out to my TV as a control display in lieu of networked software, but it would reason that the Bryston solution will be more flexible in the long run and should be sonically superior (at about twice the price).  It is hard to estimate what the difference in listening experience would be between the two.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

PS: I thought I solved all this four years ago when I bought an Olive 6HD.  Long sad story... 

ttsto

« Reply #903 on: 22 Jan 2015, 06:04 pm »
Hi
1. You can use own Bryston control web client by entering IP address of the player in a browser. Or use an app from the store, like Chimney
2. I use separate NAS, found it most convenient
3. I use Genre\Artist\[year] Album, I am used with this structure from old days
5. Phone is much more convenient than TV
Best!

WillyC3

« Reply #904 on: 23 Jan 2015, 05:55 pm »
Hi
1. You can use own Bryston control web client by entering IP address of the player in a browser. Or use an app from the store, like Chimney
2. I use separate NAS, found it most convenient
3. I use Genre\Artist\[year] Album, I am used with this structure from old days
5. Phone is much more convenient than TV
Best!

Thanks, ttsto!

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #905 on: 23 Jan 2015, 06:18 pm »
Hi,

When the BDP-2 has an installed internal harddrive inside of it, how does it exposes it to the outside world ?

Does it exposes it as a share on the ethernet network ?

SMB ?  (Windows compatible network share)

Can we define users with read/write permission and users with only read permission ?

Can it be use as a small NAS ?  (dedicated to music file)

Thanks!

ozzy

« Reply #906 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:33 pm »
Can the BDP-2 output DSD over the USB?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #907 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm »
Can the BDP-2 output DSD over the USB?

Yes with the new MM software.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #908 on: 24 Jan 2015, 07:41 pm »
Yes with the new MM software.

James

Hi James!

is Chris still around? I have sent him a message and didn't get a reply. I am experiencing some glitches with my BDP-1 when playing 24/192 FLAC. Perhaps he's on a vacation, God knows he deserves one, in which case I don't want to bother him.

Best wishes!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #909 on: 24 Jan 2015, 08:02 pm »
Hi James!

is Chris still around? I have sent him a message and didn't get a reply. I am experiencing some glitches with my BDP-1 when playing 24/192 FLAC. Perhaps he's on a vacation, God knows he deserves one, in which case I don't want to bother him.

Best wishes!
Antun

Hi Antun

Yes he is around during the week.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #910 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:28 am »
Hi Antun

Yes he is around during the week.

james

Okay thanks! I will give him a shout tomorrow.

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #911 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:03 am »
Okay thanks! I will give him a shout tomorrow.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun,

I havn't recieved any messages from you since September of last year.... Or if that's it my apologies for missing it.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #912 on: 28 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm »
Hi Antun,

I havn't recieved any messages from you since September of last year.... Or if that's it my apologies for missing it.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Curious but never mind!

If you remember, I am experiencing some glitches (interruptions) with my BDP-1 on 24/192 files. It works perfectly with everything else - 24/96 or below. You then said I should upgrade the system firmware. It is currently running MM, S2.04. I have read the instructions in the MM manual and nned you to tell me when to place the machine in it's service mode so that you can perform the upgrade remotely.

Best wishes,
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #913 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:43 am »
Hi Antun,

Just place it in service mode email me the servce id

crice[at]bryston[dot]com

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #914 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:29 pm »
Hi Antun,

Just place it in service mode email me the servce id

crice[at]bryston[dot]com

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Email sent! Please let me know if there is something I must do on my end. The BDP-1 is working even while in Service Mode so I assume it is safe to use it.

Cheers!
Antun

Rod_S

« Reply #915 on: 30 Jan 2015, 12:38 am »
Hi;

I have a question not so much for the BDP's themselves but the software people use to rip their CD's in order to play them via the BDP's.

So I think I'm going to purchase dbpoweramp this weekend to start the process of ripping my CD's which by default appears to come with both the CD ripper software as well as the music converter software. My question is do I or should I also buy the PerfectTUNES that's also offered on the website? I haven't seen people mention this so I'm not sure if it brings anything to the table for the BDP usage and/or the file playback software i.e. MPOD, Bryston-MAX etc.

Thanks

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #916 on: 30 Jan 2015, 04:20 am »
Ooof. No idea. I love dbPoweramp, you're getting a great product.

I highly recommend you make some hard choices first though. Decide for certain what folder and file name format you want to go with. Do you want albums with disc to all be in the same folder, but include "disc 1" in the file name? Do you want to have the folder structure show which disc you have? Do you want to use the default album art, or do through and use Album Art Exchange or something else to manually select album art? Do you want all of your album art the same size (1000x1000, 600x600, etc).

None of these will affect quality, just how you use/interface with the rips.

I'd suggest you get two cd's with one artist and one disc, two cds with multiple artists and one disc, a soundtrack, and a classical disc. Rip those and see how the file names and structures work. Then, if you make any changes, you don't have to redo your whole library!

I didn't do that, and when i got about 100 discs into it, I decided I wanted to catalog stuff in a different manner. It was easier to re-rip everything than to manually rename it. So, plan ahead, then start your ripping.

Rod_S

« Reply #917 on: 30 Jan 2015, 05:32 pm »
Thanks for the info.  :thumb: Dang! That's a lot of stuff to consider.

drummermitchell

« Reply #918 on: 30 Jan 2015, 05:51 pm »
Or you could call Chris Rice to help you with dbpoweramp end of story(ONE THING) :thumb:.

Rod_S

« Reply #919 on: 31 Jan 2015, 02:15 am »
Who is Chris Rice?