BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

Dreamseeker

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #860 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:02 pm »
Hi,
I own a Bryston BDP-2 with firmware 1.74 that is connected to an APL DSD-S. This DAC has a USB interface that should be USB 2.0 compliant. As I understand it should then be possible to connect BDP-2 to the DAC with a USB cable running from one of BDP-2's USB ports into the USB port on DSD-S. But when I try that I get no sound. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #861 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:09 pm »
Have you chosen the DSD Dac under Audio Devices on the main page of Manic Moose software?

james

Dreamseeker

« Reply #862 on: 12 Nov 2014, 08:06 pm »
Even if I have firmware 1.74 it seems like it's build Loony Loon and not Manic Moose. At least it doesn't seem to be a choice for audio devices when I go into settings. I'll update the firmware later tonight, then I guess there will be a choice for selecting the DAC under audio devices.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #863 on: 12 Nov 2014, 09:07 pm »
Even if I have firmware 1.74 it seems like it's build Loony Loon and not Manic Moose. At least it doesn't seem to be a choice for audio devices when I go into settings. I'll update the firmware later tonight, then I guess there will be a choice for selecting the DAC under audio devices.

Yes you need to use MM.

James

rw@cn

« Reply #864 on: 14 Nov 2014, 07:25 pm »
I just finished reading all of the BDP-2 relevant pages. Whew! I think I understand most aspects of the BDP-2s operation. The one question that I need to resolve concerns the optional internal disk drive.

I presently have a Synology NAS which contains all of my music. I stream the music via Ethernet to a renderer which sends the music to a DAC. If the BDP-2 were to replace my renderer, what benefits would I see if I installed a 512 GB SSD versus a BDP-2 without any internal SSD installed?

Thanks

Dreamseeker

« Reply #865 on: 14 Nov 2014, 07:34 pm »
Yes you need to use MM.

James
OK, now I got it to work. I think it sounds noticeably better through USB than through AES that I have used up to now. But then I also think DSD-S has a very high quality USB interface as pointed out by it's designer Alex Peychev.

Wapiti

« Reply #866 on: 15 Nov 2014, 04:03 pm »
If the BDP-2 were to replace my renderer, what benefits would I see if I installed a 512 GB SSD versus a BDP-2 without any internal SSD installed?
The only benefit is the BDP-2 would then be entirely self-contained with no external drives attached to it. 

The only downside is an SSD is more expensive than an external USB drive.  And the minimal inconvenience of opening the unit to install the SSD.

rw@cn

« Reply #867 on: 15 Nov 2014, 05:31 pm »
The only benefit is the BDP-2 would then be entirely self-contained with no external drives attached to it. 

The only downside is an SSD is more expensive than an external USB drive.  And the minimal inconvenience of opening the unit to install the SSD.

Thanks Wapiti. I would continue to use my NAS. I was thinking that the SSD would serve as a cache (or prefetch) and that perhaps there would be some sonic or efficiency benefit.

bjski

« Reply #868 on: 17 Nov 2014, 09:48 pm »
Hi James,
I posted on the Bryston support page. My BDP-2 said it crashed. Everything runs fine. I unplugged the unit and it still says my BDP-2 crashed. How do I get rid of the notice?
Cheers,
BJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #869 on: 17 Nov 2014, 09:54 pm »
Hi James,
I posted on the Bryston support page. My BDP-2 said it crashed. Everything runs fine. I unplugged the unit and it still says my BDP-2 crashed. How do I get rid of the notice?
Cheers,
BJ

I think it is just a bug that Chris is fixing in the next release.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #870 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:56 am »
I think it is just a bug that Chris is fixing in the next release.

james

Likely the artist view started building and he unit was turned off before it finnished, simply resume building it by going to the artist view.

Cheers
Chris

Ren

« Reply #871 on: 15 Dec 2014, 07:06 pm »
Hi, All... I am a happy owner of a BDP-1, and (after I upgrade firmware to Manic Moose) I want to migrate my album storage for BDP-1 playback to an external USB SSD drive.  I currently use powerline networking adapters to play back music from a NAS drive located with my router in another room.  That setup is convenient and quiet, but it only reliably supports playback of files up to 16/44.1 FLAC. I expect the external USB drive to support 24/192 FLAC playback reliably.

SO, MY QUESTION IS...  what would you recommend for an external USB drive using SSD storage for  storing my album collection?  The closer to 1.0 TB the better.  Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Ren

ttsto

« Reply #872 on: 15 Dec 2014, 07:09 pm »
Not a chance to have wired network connection to your NAS? Will be much cheaper, I guess...
I run wired CAT 5 network cable and play 24/192 without any issues.

Ren

« Reply #873 on: 15 Dec 2014, 07:41 pm »
Not a chance to have wired network connection to your NAS? Will be much cheaper, I guess...
I run wired CAT 5 network cable and play 24/192 without any issues.

Unfortunately, no.  My router and NAS are in the bedroom closet on the second floor.  My listening room (where the BDP-1 is located) is in the basement.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #874 on: 17 Dec 2014, 02:04 am »
SSD arn't perfect, they are filled with billions of transistors that will create electrical noise, whether or not you can hear this is up to you.  Although while not in use they are more efficient, but when all those transistors fired up, a ssd generally uses more power then some of the more energy efficient hard drives like a WD.  A WD 2.5" drive will typically use 350mA consistently, where SSD's typical use 700mA to 1600mA while in use.

Hard Drives have there own disadvantages aswell, typically this is audible noise, although personally this doesn't bother me as I need to hold my ear up to the drive to.... Well hear it.

As far as reliability, niether is really any better then the other.  A hard drives magnets are typically the first to go and a ssd, generally the memory controller dies.

Finally you are left with price, hard drives are still all lot less expensive then SSD's, for some people that maybe a non issue.

Personally if your considering dropping $500 for a 1TB solid state drives, perhaps you should see about just having an electrician run a network cable in the wall, It could be the same amount of money and you keep the benefits of using the NAS.

Something to consider

Cheers
Chris

sputnikcdn

« Reply #875 on: 17 Dec 2014, 04:43 pm »

Unfortunately, no.  My router and NAS are in the bedroom closet on the second floor.  My listening room (where the BDP-1 is located) is in the basement.

I drilled a small hole in a heating duct (I live in a very old house) and was able to run a network cable to the basement very easily.

Definitely worth the hassle, I'd recommend using at least a CAT6 cable.

R. Daneel

« Reply #876 on: 17 Dec 2014, 04:52 pm »
Hi folks!

I'm running into a bit of a problem with my BDP-1 (MM, S2.04). Sometimes it has a "hiccup" in the form of a short interruption in playback. This happens only with 192kHz music, never with 96kHz or any of the lower sampling rates. The interruptions are sporadic at best, sometimes only once or twice during an entire album but sometimes once or twice during each track.

They are usually closer to the beginning of the track I think and unlike with a skipping CD, they don't appear to happen at the same point in time.

I'm using a Sony 32GB flash drive.

Is it possible that the bitrate of these files is too high for BDP-1 to handle?

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

Cheers!
Antun

BrystonFan

« Reply #877 on: 17 Dec 2014, 10:52 pm »
I'm still amazed how files on a NAS (say on the third floor) can sound the same travelling via CAT5/6 cable all the way down to the basement vs. the same files on an SSD installed in the BDP-2.  :scratch:

BrysTony

« Reply #878 on: 17 Dec 2014, 11:15 pm »
I'm still amazed how files on a NAS (say on the third floor) can sound the same travelling via CAT5/6 cable all the way down to the basement vs. the same files on an SSD installed in the BDP-2.  :scratch:

The music file is buffered in the BDP. 

Tony

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #879 on: 20 Dec 2014, 01:30 am »
Hi folks!

I'm running into a bit of a problem with my BDP-1 (MM, S2.04). Sometimes it has a "hiccup" in the form of a short interruption in playback. This happens only with 192kHz music, never with 96kHz or any of the lower sampling rates. The interruptions are sporadic at best, sometimes only once or twice during an entire album but sometimes once or twice during each track.

They are usually closer to the beginning of the track I think and unlike with a skipping CD, they don't appear to happen at the same point in time.

I'm using a Sony 32GB flash drive.

Is it possible that the bitrate of these files is too high for BDP-1 to handle?

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

Cheers!
Antun

A BDP-1 should handle 192khz just fine, you should try upgrading the firmware.  That firmware will require the BDP placed into service mode to be updated by us.  Service mode is covered on page 24 or 26 in the manic moose manual.

Cheers
Chris