BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #820 on: 29 Aug 2014, 09:40 am »
James!

We had a power blackout. The BDP-1 lost it's IP address and shows only zeros on it's display. I use it's IP to access it's interface in the Chrome and of course, now it doesn't work and I can't access it. It is like the machine isn't even connected to the internet. I tried restarting it a few times but it just shows zeros.

What should I do?

Cheers!
Antun

I will let Chris respond but if it does not show an IP address then my guess is the router is not sending one?

I assume the front panel works OK?

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #821 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:08 am »
I will let Chris respond but if it does not show an IP address then my guess is the router is not sending one?

I assume the front panel works OK?

james

Hi James!

Yes, the front panel is okay and I can operate the machine with no problems. It is connected to the same switch as the computer and the computer is working fine. I did some experiments with cables and they work fine too. It is just that BDP-1 won't recognize it's internet connection.

I can also access the USB thumbdrives connected to the BDP-1 with the computer so obviously, the BDP-1 has a network connection.

I tried accessing it by entering http://bryston-bdp-1.local in the Chrome search bar instead of the IP address but no luck. It says the page cannot be opened.

Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #822 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:13 am »
Hi James!

Yes, the front panel is okay and I can operate the machine with no problems. It is connected to the same switch as the computer and the computer is working fine. I did some experiments with cables and they work fine too. It is just that BDP-1 won't recognize it's internet connection.

I can also access the USB thumbdrives connected to the BDP-1 with the computer so obviously, the BDP-1 has a network connection.

I tried accessing it by entering http://bryston-bdp-1.local in the Chrome search bar instead of the IP address but no luck. It says the page cannot be opened.

Antun

Ok it sure sounds like the router is the issue  - do you have another router to try - are you using a wireless bridge?

R. Daneel

« Reply #823 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:22 am »
Ok it sure sounds like the router is the issue  - do you have another router to try - are you using a wireless bridge?

I have a router downstairs. The cables runs to a switch downstairs to accomodate the server, IPTV and the phone. One cable from that switch goes upstairs into another switch to which I have connected the computer and now the BDP-1.

So it's a wired connection, no wifi. I only use wifi when I am controlling it via Android phone.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #824 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:25 am »
I have a router downstairs. The cables runs to a switch downstairs to accomodate the server, IPTV and the phone. One cable from that switch goes upstairs into another switch to which I have connected the computer and now the BDP-1.

So it's a wired connection, no wifi. I only use wifi when I am controlling it via Android phone.

Ok maybe consider getting another router and connecting it directly to the BDP using the Man-cave option I mentioned and that should tell you where the problem lies.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #825 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:28 am »

Oh my... Now, don't get upset but the IP address is there after all! What I didn't realise is that once the BDP-1 has initialised, you need to press the "down" cursor button for the IP address to appear. I kept pressing the "LEFT" cursor button and always got that eth000... Pressing "DOWN" shows the IP adress as 192.XXX.X.XX.

The address is different than what it was before the power blackout we had this morning but I have read this is normal and that if I want to have a constant IP address, I need to make some changes to the router settings, right?

Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #826 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:30 am »
Oh my... Now, don't get upset but the IP address is there after all! What I didn't realise is that once the BDP-1 has initialised, you need to press the "down" cursor button for the IP address to appear. I kept pressing the "LEFT" cursor button and always got that eth000... Pressing "DOWN" shows the IP adress as 192.XXX.X.XX.

The address is different than what it was before the power blackout we had this morning but I have read this is normal and that if I want to have a constant IP address, I need to make some changes to the router settings, right?

Antun

Correct you can set it to a Static IP address if you want but generally it will keep the assigned IP address - at least I find that in most cases.  Glad we found out what was going on  :thumb:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #827 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:35 am »
Correct you can set it to a Static IP address if you want but generally it will keep the assigned IP address - at least I find that in most cases.  Glad we found out what was going on  :thumb:

james

Me too! Thank you!

Let me ask one more thing - the PC interface says "BDP has no internet connection" right above "New firmware is available". I don't know why it says that and it is something I noticed when I first connected the BDP-1 to the network. Any ideas?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #828 on: 29 Aug 2014, 11:01 am »
Me too! Thank you!

Let me ask one more thing - the PC interface says "BDP has no internet connection" right above "New firmware is available". I don't know why it says that and it is something I noticed when I first connected the BDP-1 to the network. Any ideas?

Don't worry about that as it searches for the connection every few minutes and it is still connected.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #829 on: 29 Aug 2014, 11:14 am »
Don't worry about that as it searches for the connection every few minutes and it is still connected.

James

Oh I see! Well, the PC interface runs on Chrome and it too needs to be refreshed every now and then.  I am not worried!

Chris tells me there will be a new version of firmware next week which will fix a bug in the diagnstic program on the BDP which will then be used to examine the BDP to try and find out why the entire drive cannot be loaded once navigated to "drives" and pressed "play".

At least, that is whyt I think he said!! Chance of comprehension on my part when it comes to IT is less than 50%!!

R. Daneel

« Reply #830 on: 31 Aug 2014, 01:49 pm »
Hi fellas!

What does "Error 05" mean? This is the second time it happened. The manual says it is because of higher voltage coming from the outlet and the circuit prevents damage to BDP-1's microprocessor.

Is this true?

I switched the machine off and then back on and it works perfectly. Is this normal?

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #831 on: 31 Aug 2014, 02:54 pm »
Hi fellas!

What does "Error 05" mean? This is the second time it happened. The manual says it is because of higher voltage coming from the outlet and the circuit prevents damage to BDP-1's microprocessor.

Is this true?

I switched the machine off and then back on and it works perfectly. Is this normal?

Cheers!
Antun

I don't know why it says microprocessor, it's to protect the linear regulator from overheating and burning up.  It all depends on how stable the power lines are.  In North America it's not uncommon for some people to start getting error 04 messages in the summer time.  The error 04 can be tripped by a severe enough brown out, the brown outs are caused by the increase load on the power grid by all the air conditioners running at once.  The BDP-2 has been designed to tolerate a 10% (maybe 20% it's been over a year since I did the test) +/- swing in the voltage line.  Error 05 can be compensated by increasing the load on the BDP's transformer by plugging in a bus powered USB hard drive.

R. Daneel

« Reply #832 on: 31 Aug 2014, 03:06 pm »
I don't know why it says microprocessor, it's to protect the linear regulator from overheating and burning up.  It all depends on how stable the power lines are.  In North America it's not uncommon for some people to start getting error 04 messages in the summer time.  The error 04 can be tripped by a severe enough brown out, the brown outs are caused by the increase load on the power grid by all the air conditioners running at once.  The BDP-2 has been designed to tolerate a 10% (maybe 20% it's been over a year since I did the test) +/- swing in the voltage line.  Error 05 can be compensated by increasing the load on the BDP's transformer by plugging in a bus powered USB hard drive.

Hi Chris!

I am not sure what you mean by "Error 05 can be compensated by increasing the load on the BDP's transformer by plugging in a bus powered USB hard drive"... You mean to say that I can preven Error 05 from happening if I plug in a hard drive to my BDP-1 that is powered directly from the USB?

I assume the BDP-1 has the same protection you speak of as the BDP-2?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #833 on: 31 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm »
Hi Chris!

I am not sure what you mean by "Error 05 can be compensated by increasing the load on the BDP's transformer by plugging in a bus powered USB hard drive"... You mean to say that I can preven Error 05 from happening if I plug in a hard drive to my BDP-1 that is powered directly from the USB?

I assume the BDP-1 has the same protection you speak of as the BDP-2?

Yes and yes

vengky

« Reply #834 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:39 am »
Hi All

I have not been here in ages. My current BDP-1 software is S1.75 2014-05-01. Is there a newer version now. One thing I really miss is the radio streaming. Wish we could have it back.

Cheers
VK

Rod_S

« Reply #835 on: 1 Oct 2014, 11:56 pm »
I'm in the process of setting up my first NAS and I need to choose a file system. The default for my Synology DS415play is ext4 so I was wondering if the BDP's can access drives formatted in ext4 without issue or should I look at formatting in something else, perhaps NTFS? I want to avoid Fat32 if I can due to it's 4Gb file limit.

srb

« Reply #836 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:26 am »
The default for my Synology DS415play is ext4 so I was wondering if the BDP's can access drives formatted in ext4 without issue or should I look at formatting in something else, perhaps NTFS? I want to avoid Fat32 if I can due to it's 4Gb file limit.

I believe the BDP with latest firmware/OS is ext4 compatible, so this might only be a concern if you were directly connecting an ext4 drive to the BDP and also needed to rip to it from a non-Linux computer.  But because you are accessing it through a NAS, the NAS' Linux OS is compatible with ext4 and becomes the intermediary between your computer or BDP device, regardless of the OS, and the drive.

The only incompatibility might be if you needed to access the drive removed from the NAS and directly connected to your Windows or Mac computer.  These OS aren't natively compatible, but can access ext4 drives with third party drivers/software.  Of course if the drive is in a RAID configuration, that might be a moot point anyway.

Steve
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2014, 01:27 am by srb »

Rod_S

« Reply #837 on: 3 Oct 2014, 08:09 pm »
Excellent, thanks

catmonv

« Reply #838 on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:59 am »
Hi James.  Any usb dual external hard drive with the other one serving as backup that you can recommend?  I got the most scary experience last night with my BDP-1.  The albums would not load right.  I got like 25% of the albums to show up.  i thought the file was corrupted.  i repeated turning it on and off last night the BDP-1, hoping it will run right ?  i also had to go to the settings update and load it many times.  After cycling the
BDP-1 around 15-25 times, my BDP1 is now back at work. 
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2014, 03:41 pm by catmonv »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #839 on: 4 Oct 2014, 03:50 pm »
Hi James.  Any usb dual external hard drive with the other one serving as backup that you can recommend?  I got the most scary experience last night with my BDP-1.  The albums would not load right.  I got like 25% of the albums to show up.  i thought the file was corrupted.  i repeated turning it on and off last night the BDP-1, hoping it will run right ?  i also had to go to the settings update and load it many times.  After cycling the
BDP-1 around 15-25 times, my BDP1 is now back at work.

Hi

I use my desktop computer as a backup and I have a 2 TB USB drive at work as a further backup

James