BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #800 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:11 pm »
It's like an IP address then? I see!

But can you please tell me whether the display can show track time?

Hi,

No the interface you use on your Computer or IPAD will show track time and resolution etc.  Thats why I was saying getting an IPAD to control your files or a Laptop etc. would make things much more convenient as well as informative.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #801 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:20 pm »
Hi,

No the interface you use on your Computer or IPAD will show track time and resolution etc.  Thats why I was saying getting an IPAD to control your files or a Laptop etc. would make things much more convenient as well as informative.

james

Hi James!

I am slowly beginning to see that! :thumb:

Okay, I'll see where I can run long network cables and get a tablet or something. But I'd still like it if you guys would include basic time information on the main display.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #802 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:28 pm »
Hi James!

I am slowly beginning to see that! :thumb:

Okay, I'll see where I can run long network cables and get a tablet or something. But I'd still like it if you guys would include basic time information on the main display.

Cheers!
Antun

We really can't as far as I know as it is a function of the interface not the front panel display capability.

Also you do not have to run a long Ethernet cable - just buy a cheep router and attach it to the rear of the BDP and you will have a dedicated network for the BDP - its what I call my 'Man Cave' option.  :thumb:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #803 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:00 pm »
We really can't as far as I know as it is a function of the interface not the front panel display capability.

Also you do not have to run a long Ethernet cable - just buy a cheep router and attach it to the rear of the BDP and you will have a dedicated network for the BDP - its what I call my 'Man Cave' option.  :thumb:

james

That's me! Man in Cave! :thumb:

Alright, I'll do it! Thanks for your help James, I appreciate it!

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #804 on: 25 Aug 2014, 09:51 pm »
One other question about loading. For instance, I have this Kingston USB thumbdrive (32GB) plugged into the BDP-1. I use the cursor buttons to navigate to that drive and press "Play". It says "loading..." for minutes but it doesn't load the songs. The drive holds around 10GB of files but interestingly, if I navigate into the Kingston drive and select a specific album and then press "Play", playback starts immediately no matter the resolution. Does loading an entire thumbdrive take long for specific reasons or are there limits to the system and it cannot load the entire drive?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #805 on: 25 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm »
One other question about loading. For instance, I have this Kingston USB thumbdrive (32GB) plugged into the BDP-1. I use the cursor buttons to navigate to that drive and press "Play". It says "loading..." for minutes but it doesn't load the songs. The drive holds around 10GB of files but interestingly, if I navigate into the Kingston drive and select a specific album and then press "Play", playback starts immediately no matter the resolution. Does loading an entire thumbdrive take long for specific reasons or are there limits to the system and it cannot load the entire drive?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

How many songs total?

Time for an IPAD - :lol:

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #806 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:42 am »

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun,

What if you have just the thumb drive plugged in, push the play button before even navigating to the drives menu?

If you place the BDP into service mode, email me the service id, I can see why this is occurring and perhaps fix it if it is a software bug.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #807 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:44 am »

james

There are other options like using a wireless bridge or powerline av kit

R. Daneel

« Reply #808 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:02 pm »
Hi Antun,

What if you have just the thumb drive plugged in, push the play button before even navigating to the drives menu?

If you place the BDP into service mode, email me the service id, I can see why this is occurring and perhaps fix it if it is a software bug.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Okay, this is what happens:

If I plug in two thumbdrives and press play while in default screen (no navigation into drives or folders) it will play both drives in succession flawlessly.

If I navigate to "drives" and select the provided Bryston sampler and press play, it plays flawlessly. However, if I navigate to my own Kingston drive instead (displayed right underneath the Bryston one), it says "loading..." but does nothing.

If I navigate into the folders on that Kingston drive and press play on whichever album, it plays flawlessly.

So it appears I can't select that Kingston drive and play all the files on it without going into specific folders on it because it won't play it.

What shall I do?

How do I enter the service mode and where do I find the service ID?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #809 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:37 pm »
To add to my previous email, this is what happens when only the Kingston drive is plugged in:

When in default sreen mode (no selected drives or folders) it plays flawlessly when I press play.

However, if I navigate to "drives" so that the Kingston drive is displayed and press play does nothing. It says "loading..." but doesn't really load the music.

It's funny, it must be software. It plays the drive while in the default screen and it plays them if you eneter the drive and select a specific album or even a specific track if you go deep into the folder to display individual tracks. But it just doesn't play the drive when you navigate to it. At least not with my Kingston drive, it does with the provided Bryston sampler drive.

R. Daneel

« Reply #810 on: 27 Aug 2014, 09:14 am »
Hi fellas!

I need a bit of help here.

Okay, so I connected the BDP-1 to a network switch. I have copied the IP address from the BDP-1 display into the Firefox address bar on the PC and it opened the interface. Which interface is this? Is this the "MAX" version?

Also, I have done the same thing on the Android smartphone in it's Chrome browser and it opened a very similar application that seems to have less menus. Is this the "MINI" version then?

I also see that the interface says "New firmware version available". How can this be when the machine has been with me for less than one week?

I can now place the BDP-1 in service mode. Chris, please give me your email address and I will send you the service ID.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #811 on: 27 Aug 2014, 10:16 am »
Hi fellas!

Okay, so I connected the BDP-1 to a network switch. I have copied the IP address from the BDP-1 display into the Firefox address bar on the PC and it opened the interface. Which interface is this? Is this the "MAX" version?

Also, I have done the same thing on the Android smartphone in it's Chrome browser and it opened a very similar application that seems to have less menus. Is this the "MINI" version then?

I also see that the interface says "New firmware version available". How can this be when the machine has been with me for less than one week?

I can now place the BDP-1 in service mode. Chris, please give me your email address and I will send you the service ID.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I would recommend Safari or Chrome over Firefox.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #812 on: 27 Aug 2014, 11:22 am »
Hi Antun,

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Sent you a PM! Let me know when you want me to place the machine in SM and I'll send you the service ID.

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #813 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:06 am »
Hi fellas!

Cheers!
Antun

We purposely ship our machines with firmware that is one revision behind so the customer immediately knows what to expect when software becomes available.  In your case it sounds like you have purchased an older piece from spring, I say that because it sounds like you have a system with the older loony loon (S1.XX) firmware.  I only say hat because you mention max and mini, two interfaces replaced by one (media player) in the new firmware.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #814 on: 28 Aug 2014, 07:40 am »
We purposely ship our machines with firmware that is one revision behind so the customer immediately knows what to expect when software becomes available.  In your case it sounds like you have purchased an older piece from spring, I say that because it sounds like you have a system with the older loony loon (S1.XX) firmware.  I only say hat because you mention max and mini, two interfaces replaced by one (media player) in the new firmware.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

It says S2.04 2014-05-20 on the front display. I am really not familiar with either MAX or MINI. It says MEDIA PLAYER in the menu. I just mentioned those two because I watched some videos of James introducting the BDP-1 and thought that must have been it. I will place the machine in SM and let you know the ID at 10am ET according to your wishes.

Best wishes!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #815 on: 28 Aug 2014, 10:15 am »
Hi Antun

New MM software looks like this on your interface:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #816 on: 28 Aug 2014, 10:35 am »
Hi Antun

[james

It looks exactly like that James!

R. Daneel

« Reply #817 on: 28 Aug 2014, 07:07 pm »
Hi Antun

james

James, may I have Chris' email? I'd like to ask him something.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #818 on: 28 Aug 2014, 08:22 pm »
James, may I have Chris' email? I'd like to ask him something.

Cheers!
Antun

Sure - email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #819 on: 29 Aug 2014, 07:16 am »
Sure - email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

James!

We had a power blackout. The BDP-1 lost it's IP address and shows only zeros on it's display. I use it's IP to access it's interface in the Chrome and of course, now it doesn't work and I can't access it. It is like the machine isn't even connected to the internet. I tried restarting it a few times but it just shows zeros.

What should I do?

Cheers!
Antun