BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #700 on: 23 May 2014, 08:45 pm »
Antun,

i have a BDP-1 and it surely is a great sounding piece. three hdd are connected (via a powered usb hub) with a total of around 2.3 tb of music. the BDP-1 can load all these titles but it cannot play them flawlessly in a row...during playback it gets a nice hickup every now and then.
but no reason to get mad about the BDP-1 as long as your listening sessions don't need tb of music. i'd say that the average laid back listening event has some hundreds songs or so (even a few thousand songs would be no problem for the BDP-1).
i don't see myself selling this unit as it perfectly does what i want: playing my playlists whenever i want it. playlists never contain more than a few hours of music. so in most cases the BDP-1 should do the trick :D

al.

R. Daneel

« Reply #701 on: 23 May 2014, 09:19 pm »
Hi Antun

Chris is more capable at answering this in detail but I can tell you that products like the BOT Drive will work better with the BDP-2.  I think you are correct that more computing power and processing capability in the BDP-2 will provide much more flexibility going forward when it comes to hardware and software.

james

Thank you James! Can you please ask Chris to answer the technical part of my question?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #702 on: 23 May 2014, 09:25 pm »
Antun,

i have a BDP-1 and it surely is a great sounding piece. three hdd are connected (via a powered usb hub) with a total of around 2.3 tb of music. the BDP-1 can load all these titles but it cannot play them flawlessly in a row...during playback it gets a nice hickup every now and then.
but no reason to get mad about the BDP-1 as long as your listening sessions don't need tb of music. i'd say that the average laid back listening event has some hundreds songs or so (even a few thousand songs would be no problem for the BDP-1).
i don't see myself selling this unit as it perfectly does what i want: playing my playlists whenever i want it. playlists never contain more than a few hours of music. so in most cases the BDP-1 should do the trick :D

al.

Hi Al and thank you for your reply!

I have no doubt whether what you are saying is true and perhaps BDP-1 would be just as perfect for me as a BDP-2. WHat concerns me is the software. If BDP-1 was released the same time as a BDP-2 as a more affordable alternative, then I'd have no doubts. But it is a few years old and I don't want to discover that the new software version will be too much for a BDP-1.

Cheers!
Antun

skunark

« Reply #703 on: 23 May 2014, 09:26 pm »
Antun,

al.

What USB Hub are you using?  That probably shouldn't cause a hicup, but I would remove it and see.  I've only had an issue with a certain codec causing glitches at the end of songs, but that's an easy fix...     A hiccup now and then would upset me... (also cause me to go grab a beer to cool off :) )

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #704 on: 24 May 2014, 03:36 am »
Skunark,

it's a D-Link hub. the mentioned hiccup only appears if i want to play the whole content (2.3 tb). so it's more a problem of the BDP-1 than of the hub, i guess?!?

al.

mr_bill

« Reply #705 on: 26 May 2014, 02:45 pm »
Not sure - thats a Chris question. :scratch:

james

Thanks James, is there any way to get Chris to answer this question?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #706 on: 26 May 2014, 03:08 pm »
Thanks James, is there any way to get Chris to answer this question?

Will poke again.

james

skunark

« Reply #707 on: 27 May 2014, 04:19 am »
Skunark,

it's a D-Link hub. the mentioned hiccup only appears if i want to play the whole content (2.3 tb). so it's more a problem of the BDP-1 than of the hub, i guess?!?

al.

I've never experienced hiccups when playing the complete library...  It won't be the size of the drive or files but the number of songs and in this case Chris set the max playlist length to 3000 songs, about a weeks worth of nonstop music.   Do the hiccups occur during the transition to the next song that happens to be on a different drive or at the creation of the 'play-all' playlist?  If the hiccup occurs with the next song from a different drive then I would guess the hub is causing the hiccups.  If the hiccup is that the creation of the playlist, then I would be curious about the number of songs in your library and is something Chris or the MPD folks could address.   I have ~17k songs on one drive and other than the codec issue, it's worked flawlessly for me.

Jim

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #708 on: 27 May 2014, 12:43 pm »
Logitech media server
Yes, if you run Logitech Media Server on your computer, you can play that content through your BDP with Manic Moose.

ozzy

« Reply #709 on: 27 May 2014, 06:43 pm »
I can't seem to be able to perform the upgrade to the new Manic Moose with my Samsung Android tablet. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #710 on: 28 May 2014, 06:22 am »
Hi Don

Yes we officially released Manic Moose software yesterday - hope you like it :thumb:

james

Whaaaat? :) So excited! I was too busy over the weekend to get to listen, so I had no idea it was released.  :thumb:

ttsto

« Reply #711 on: 28 May 2014, 03:42 pm »
Can you post how to install this firmware on BDP-1? It does not show in automatic upgrade.
Thanks!

RonCH

« Reply #712 on: 2 Jun 2014, 08:25 am »
Hi Chris,

When using the BDP1 (MM) with a NAS ( in my case it's a Synology ) is there any difference between network protocols: SMB and AFP.  Is one faster or more stable than the other?

thanks
Ron

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #713 on: 5 Jun 2014, 05:14 pm »
Hi Chris,

When using the BDP1 (MM) with a NAS ( in my case it's a Synology ) is there any difference between network protocols: SMB and AFP.  Is one faster or more stable than the other?

thanks
Ron

the development and stability of samba is much more mature then afp, even if your using a mac to host the files i would still recommend using samba over afp.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #714 on: 5 Jun 2014, 05:17 pm »
Can you post how to install this firmware on BDP-1? It does not show in automatic upgrade.
Thanks!

you can use either these instructions

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Manic%20Moose%20Upgrade%20Instructions.pdf

or these instructions

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/BDP%20image%20Windows.pdf

The first should work, however if the BDP fails to re-partition its storage or worse you can use the second set to restore the cf card to a factory fresh state or contact Bryston for additional service options.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #715 on: 5 Jun 2014, 05:18 pm »
Early draft of the manual for the new manic moose operating system for the BDP's

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

MoPac

« Reply #716 on: 23 Jun 2014, 08:24 pm »
I've never experienced hiccups when playing the complete library...  It won't be the size of the drive or files but the number of songs and in this case Chris set the max playlist length to 3000 songs, about a weeks worth of nonstop music.   Do the hiccups occur during the transition to the next song that happens to be on a different drive or at the creation of the 'play-all' playlist?  If the hiccup occurs with the next song from a different drive then I would guess the hub is causing the hiccups.  If the hiccup is that the creation of the playlist, then I would be curious about the number of songs in your library and is something Chris or the MPD folks could address.   I have ~17k songs on one drive and other than the codec issue, it's worked flawlessly for me.

What codec did you have issues with?
 How do I get my above question out of this gray box?  I'm new at this.

R. Daneel

« Reply #717 on: 26 Jun 2014, 10:07 am »
Hi!

I have a question about the Linux software on the BDP-1/2. How much processor time and RAM is occupied by the software when the system is idle? I guess what I am trying to ask is how much longer the BDP-1 will remain "relevant".

From what I can see, everything that BDP-2 can do, BDP-1 can do as well. But for how much longer? With the expansion of firmware, deamands on the hardware become greater, at least with ordinary computers.

I'm trying to make a final decision on whether I should purchase a BDP-2 or a BDP-1. I really don't need the extra connectivity of the BDP-2 since I intend do use it exactly as I use my CD player but if purchasing a BDP-1 means I'll be out in the dry in a year or two because it's hardware will be insufficiently powerful for the future firmware versions, then I'd rather purchase a BDP-2.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Chris!

Can you please comment on the quoted question I posted a few weeks ago?

Just trying to reach a decision here.

Cheers!
Antun

MoPac

« Reply #718 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:16 pm »
When using local cover art in MPad do I leave the "Cover Art File Name" blank if my Cover Art files all have different names?

Thanks

vladacasa

« Reply #719 on: 30 Jun 2014, 10:39 am »
Hi,
The procedure to enable USB output for BDP-1, with the latest upgades, to a suitable DAC was just briefly mentioned.
Could you please elaborate in detail!
Kind regards,
Vlad