BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #680 on: 15 May 2014, 06:28 pm »
Hi,,how do I configure the usb OUTPUT on my Bdp-1. I am running the latest firmware. I'll be connecting it to W4S dac2.  Very sorry if this was already covered in the forum.
Thanks!!

Never mind people,, I pm'd Chris for the answer.  Thanks Chris

Just reboot the BDP-1 with the DAC attached.

james

BVillet

« Reply #681 on: 17 May 2014, 07:21 pm »
This is my first post on this forum and I really hope to find a few answers. Much as I love the sound of my BDP-1, which I have had for several years, I find I am using it less and less because of interface issues.
I have tried Gnome on PCs connected to my home network and MPDroid on Android devices and am not fully satisfied with either.
As background, I have a large music collection on a NAS (more than 100,000 tracks), some from very obscure CDs.
My problem is cover art. I like to have the cover art available as both a basis for search and while playlists are in progress. But very many of the CDs I have ripped are not in the data bases used by Gnome and MPDroid.
I have all covers on my NAS as Folder.jpg files.
I have two questions:
1. Is there a setting in MPDroid that will allow MPDroid to correctly display the cover art from the NAS where all cover art files are Genre\Artist\Album\Folder.jpg.
2. If not, is there any possibility that the BDP firmware and software may be updated in the future to include JRiver MediaCenter now that JRiver is available for Linux and operates easily from remote apps such as Gizmo, and can also be controlled from any PC in the network with Jriver loaded? I would gladly pay an additional purchase fee to have this available.

ttsto

« Reply #682 on: 18 May 2014, 11:23 am »
On the settings of MPDroid
  Download local cover art checked
  Path to music = http://ip_address_of_bdp/music
  Cover filename = Folder.jpg

On PC: try Cantata, there is possibility for similar settings, not in initial set up but after first run, in "Menu\Configure Cantata\Collection"

Hey James,

Not sure if anyone's previously listed the Cantata mpd client for windows & linux.  I just happened to stumble on it...still playing with it...Denny

https://code.google.com/p/cantata/

BVillet

« Reply #683 on: 18 May 2014, 04:49 pm »
Thank you for the suggested settings. But I am afraid they simply do not yield the cover art for some albums. I am not sure what the issue is. The Android device I am using is a Samsung S3

ttsto

« Reply #684 on: 18 May 2014, 06:12 pm »
I am on version 1.03 from 16.10.2012 of MPDroid
I remember at one moment I upgraded to version 1.05 and I had similar issues, some cover art was not displayed.
Link to older versions: https://github.com/abarisain/dmix/downloads

BVillet

« Reply #685 on: 19 May 2014, 05:32 am »
Thanks again. I discovered that part of my problem may be the difference between entering Folder.jpg and folder.jpg in the Android settings, a difference I did not expect. But not all art is displaying on MPDroid yet. Will work through this to see if I can find the cause.

ttsto

« Reply #686 on: 19 May 2014, 06:36 am »
another plausible cause may be use of some special characters in the name of the folders or path being too long...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #687 on: 21 May 2014, 01:03 am »
You'll so want to make sure your running recent software, I don't believe it was until February of this year that we fixed a compatibility issue with local cover art on android devices.

Cheers
Chris

ttsto

« Reply #688 on: 21 May 2014, 06:12 pm »
you mean this one:

firmware20140123
S1.74 2014-01-23
*Apache 2: enable url slash encoding, should fix local cover art compatibility with some android apps
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 07:31 pm by ttsto »

drummermitchell

« Reply #689 on: 22 May 2014, 12:10 pm »
Just did an firmware up grade on my BDP-2 which was released 05/20.
I like it when it's posted on the BDP's dashboard :thumb:..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #690 on: 22 May 2014, 12:55 pm »
Just did an firmware up grade on my BDP-2 which was released 05/20.
I like it when it's posted on the BDP's dashboard :thumb:..

Hi Don

Yes we officially released Manic Moose software yesterday - hope you like it :thumb:

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #691 on: 22 May 2014, 01:12 pm »
Hi James,
so far so good.
Would like to know  when I create a playlist on the left side and say I'm doing playback.
How do I remove a track from that list without taking all the tracks off.
I don't see anything there where I can remove  a certain track,thx.
Seems I have to clear everything on that playlist and start over :scratch:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #692 on: 22 May 2014, 02:20 pm »
Hi James,
so far so good.
Would like to know  when I create a playlist on the left side and say I'm doing playback.
How do I remove a track from that list without taking all the tracks off.
I don't see anything there where I can remove  a certain track,thx.
Seems I have to clear everything on that playlist and start over :scratch:.

I think you have to clear the complete list but I will check.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #693 on: 22 May 2014, 02:29 pm »
James,I remember the older program(not manic moose)that you could take out a track or tracks while keeping the playlist intact.

mr_bill

« Reply #694 on: 22 May 2014, 02:43 pm »
Does the launch of Manic Moose mean we now have access to LMS as a server via the BDP-1/2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #695 on: 22 May 2014, 02:49 pm »
Does the launch of Manic Moose mean we now have access to LMS as a server via the BDP-1/2?

LMS?

james

mr_bill

« Reply #696 on: 23 May 2014, 04:02 am »
Logitech media server

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #697 on: 23 May 2014, 09:24 am »
Logitech media server

Not sure - thats a Chris question. :scratch:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #698 on: 23 May 2014, 10:17 am »
Hi!

I have a question about the Linux software on the BDP-1/2. How much processor time and RAM is occupied by the software when the system is idle? I guess what I am trying to ask is how much longer the BDP-1 will remain "relevant".

From what I can see, everything that BDP-2 can do, BDP-1 can do as well. But for how much longer? With the expansion of firmware, deamands on the hardware become greater, at least with ordinary computers.

I'm trying to make a final decision on whether I should purchase a BDP-2 or a BDP-1. I really don't need the extra connectivity of the BDP-2 since I intend do use it exactly as I use my CD player but if purchasing a BDP-1 means I'll be out in the dry in a year or two because it's hardware will be insufficiently powerful for the future firmware versions, then I'd rather purchase a BDP-2.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #699 on: 23 May 2014, 10:46 am »
Hi!

I have a question about the Linux software on the BDP-1/2. How much processor time and RAM is occupied by the software when the system is idle? I guess what I am trying to ask is how much longer the BDP-1 will remain "relevant".

From what I can see, everything that BDP-2 can do, BDP-1 can do as well. But for how much longer? With the expansion of firmware, deamands on the hardware become greater, at least with ordinary computers.

I'm trying to make a final decision on whether I should purchase a BDP-2 or a BDP-1. I really don't need the extra connectivity of the BDP-2 since I intend do use it exactly as I use my CD player but if purchasing a BDP-1 means I'll be out in the dry in a year or two because it's hardware will be insufficiently powerful for the future firmware versions, then I'd rather purchase a BDP-2.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Chris is more capable at answering this in detail but I can tell you that products like the BOT Drive will work better with the BDP-2.  I think you are correct that more computing power and processing capability in the BDP-2 will provide much more flexibility going forward when it comes to hardware and software.

james