BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

geordienp

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #520 on: 25 Dec 2011, 07:29 pm »
As far a transfer efficiency, when I was ripping my CD collection, I might have 20-30 albums to be transferred at one sitting.. It was more time efficient to attach the BDP-1 drive directly to the USB port on my Mac than to transfer via wireless.  Now that I just transfer a song or a few albums, I rarely do direct transfer.

Steve
Steve, so where do you keep your music files?  Do you have them only on USB thumb drives and external USB hard drives connected to the Bryston or do you have a back-up on your Mac as well?

srb

« Reply #521 on: 25 Dec 2011, 07:32 pm »
what about the Lacie device which seems functionally very similar: http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10491 ?  I thought someone said that did work with the BDP-1?  It boasts both ethernet and USB interfaces.

The USB port on the LaCie NAS is for direct connection to a computer (or the BDP-1) in lieu of the Ethernet network connection, they cannot be used simultaneously.

Steve

geordienp

« Reply #522 on: 25 Dec 2011, 07:54 pm »

The USB port on the LaCie NAS is for direct connection to a computer (or the BDP-1) in lieu of the Ethernet network connection, they cannot be used simultaneously.

Steve

Presumably it could simultanously be connected to a home network by ethernet and connected to the BDP-1 by USB, so that it could be used as a network server and principal data store whenever it was not being used to play files on the Bryston?  I could live with that!

Nigel
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2011, 10:50 pm by geordienp »

srb

« Reply #523 on: 25 Dec 2011, 08:08 pm »
Presumably it could simultanously be connected to a home network by ethernet and connected to the BDP-1 by USB, so that it could be used as a network server and principle data store whenever it was not being used to play files on the Bryston?  I could live with that!

LaCie advises to disconnect the Ethernet connection when using USB.

http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/ns2-nsmax/usb

If your network is limited to 10/100 megabit transfer speeds or if you use Wi-Fi, the USB connection will generally permit faster transfer rates. In such cases, LaCie suggests that you copy large quantities of files from your computer to your LaCie network storage via USB. Please note that your network storage device should not be connected to the network while it is attached to a computer via USB

Steve

SHV

« Reply #524 on: 25 Dec 2011, 08:37 pm »
Steve, so where do you keep your music files?  Do you have them only on USB thumb drives and external USB hard drives connected to the Bryston or do you have a back-up on your Mac as well?

I have backup on a separate external HD, just for music files and on Mac OSX "Time Machine" backup on a RAID.

Steve

geordienp

« Reply #525 on: 25 Dec 2011, 10:49 pm »
Thanks guys for your help.  It looks like it boils down to having quite separate storage devices with USB thumb drives and external hard drives (powered or low current USB powered) reserved for the Bryston and completely independent network attached storage and/or external powered hard drives for PC back-up and central data storage.  Which, for shifting ripped CD and high res download files, means either unplugging the Bryston's USB drive(s) and plugging into a networked PC for direct drag and drop file transfer, or transfer over the network from PC to the USB drive plugged into the Bryston.  Hard-wired ethernet connections would presumably be needed for reliable and faster transfer than wireless connection.

Nigel

geordienp

« Reply #526 on: 27 Dec 2011, 10:32 am »
Sent: August-16-11 5:33 AM
To: Bryston - James Tanner
Subject: Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1

The BDP-1 can read FAT32 or NTSF it was just it could not write to NTSF until recently – new software
james

James, re this new software, does this mean you can now write over the network to a HDD attached to the BDP-1 if the drive is formatted NTSF rather than FAT32?

Nigel 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #527 on: 27 Dec 2011, 04:50 pm »
James, re this new software, does this mean you can now write over the network to a HDD attached to the BDP-1 if the drive is formatted NTSF rather than FAT32?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Yes you can write to both Fat32 and NTSF

FAT32 is cross platform compatible and hard to imagine support for it ever going away on any platform due to it being ubiquitous.

"Formatting a drive for FAT32 is not difficult on a Mac of Linux desktop. Unfortunately, Microsoft has removed support for creating a FAT32 volume from it's drive manager. This is likely because of the very cross platform compatibility discussed above.

Fortunately there are free small applications that can be used on Windows 7 to make FAT32 format volumes up to 2 TB in size.

Changing the format of a new drive for FAT32 is also very quick with any of the available tools.

Other drive formats like NTFS and HFS+ gain the listener nothing when used in the application of music playback. NTFS and HFS+ may actually bring unneeded baggage, including security and permissions issues the customer may accidentally engage, along with them. And the new software included with major brand NTFS formatted drives to make them work with Mac OS may very well present problems with all computer systems when it comes to reliability and speed. The new Seagate drives, for example, take longer to show up when connected to a Windows computer than is typical with other drives.

As always, the simple solution that does the job is best."

bluemark81

« Reply #528 on: 1 Jan 2012, 07:48 pm »
I am using an iPod Touch/iPad and MacBook Pro for control of the BDP-1.  I have a Harmony remote for the control of my other equipment.  Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes can be used to control the BDP-1?  I do not have Bryston's remote, so I would not be able to learn the commands from it, so I would have to rely on the Harmony database of commands.  Thanks

Alpha10

« Reply #529 on: 1 Jan 2012, 08:01 pm »
I am using an iPod Touch/iPad and MacBook Pro for control of the BDP-1.  I have a Harmony remote for the control of my other equipment.  Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes can be used to control the BDP-1?  I do not have Bryston's remote, so I would not be able to learn the commands from it, so I would have to rely on the Harmony database of commands.  Thanks

The BDP is already in the harmony database, look under 'Music Player/Digital Music Server' I think it is, works fine.

Cheers

bluemark81

« Reply #530 on: 1 Jan 2012, 08:22 pm »
Yes, the bdp-1 appears to be in the harmony database, but it does not seem to work.  When I press the power button, the light on the bdp flickers as though it recognizes the signal, but it will not turn it on.

Alpha10

« Reply #531 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:06 pm »
Yes, the bdp-1 appears to be in the harmony database, but it does not seem to work.  When I press the power button, the light on the bdp flickers as though it recognizes the signal, but it will not turn it on.

Hmm, that is strange, it works fine for me (both BDP and BDA turn on/off together). I wonder if it has to do with other settings - duration or something?

Cheers

Deftone

« Reply #532 on: 4 Mar 2012, 07:45 pm »
Hi Gilles,

Yes you can connect a dedicated router to the BDP-1 and use any wireless device to connect to it - I call it my ManCave option.

james

James,

With this mancave option will you be able to upgrade the firmware wireless.Will it show up in your computer network?Or it's strictly just for the use of the interfaces with your wireless devices with the bdp-1?Will Mpod/Mpad work in this config or only Max/Mini only?  :scratch:

What router are you using?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #533 on: 4 Mar 2012, 08:00 pm »
James,

With this mancave option will you be able to upgrade the firmware wireless.Will it show up in your computer network?Or it's strictly just for the use of the interfaces with your wireless devices with the bdp-1?Will Mpod/Mpad work in this config or only Max/Mini only?  :scratch:

What router are you using?

With Mancave anything on the home network will not show up as you are independent of any networks around you so updates are not possible over the mancave network of course. You would have to connect short term to your home network router for a wireless update or replace the flash card inside the BDP.

Any of the interfaces like Mpad and Mpad, Bryston interfaces, Gnome etc work just fine with the Mancave option.  :thumb:

James

geordienp

« Reply #534 on: 10 Mar 2012, 10:58 am »
I have managed to set up my BDP-1 on my home network, my PC can see attached USB devices (the Bryston flash drive and my WD My Passport 1TB hard drive) and I am controlling everything wirelessly with a Sony S tablet (android).  I can read and play flac files on my PC over the network from both devices when they are connected to the BDP-1, but when I try to drag and drop files from my PC to the Bryston over the network I can only write to the flash drive.  When I try to write to the WD My Passport USB hard drive I am told I need permission, access denied.  The Bryston settings page lists the drive under "writeable" as "no" whereas for the flash drive it says "yes".  I have looked at the settings for the WD on my PC (properties-sharing and security) and it is set for sharing files and the box against "write" is ticked. Indeed I can write normally to the WD when it is directly attached to the PC but not when connected to the BDP-1 over the network.  Any suggestions?? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #535 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:34 pm »
I have managed to set up my BDP-1 on my home network, my PC can see attached USB devices (the Bryston flash drive and my WD My Passport 1TB hard drive) and I am controlling everything wirelessly with a Sony S tablet (android).  I can read and play flac files on my PC over the network from both devices when they are connected to the BDP-1, but when I try to drag and drop files from my PC to the Bryston over the network I can only write to the flash drive.  When I try to write to the WD My Passport USB hard drive I am told I need permission, access denied.  The Bryston settings page lists the drive under "writeable" as "no" whereas for the flash drive it says "yes".  I have looked at the settings for the WD on my PC (properties-sharing and security) and it is set for sharing files and the box against "write" is ticked. Indeed I can write normally to the WD when it is directly attached to the PC but not when connected to the BDP-1 over the network.  Any suggestions?? :scratch:

The drive has to be formatted FAT32 or NTSF.

james

geordienp

« Reply #536 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:07 pm »
James, the drive is formatted NTSF.

Nigel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #537 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:43 pm »
James, the drive is formatted NTSF.

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Not sure what is happening - do you have another drive that you can format FAT32 and see if you can write to it?  Most thumbdrives come FAT32.

James

geordienp

« Reply #538 on: 10 Mar 2012, 06:55 pm »
Hi Nigel

Not sure what is happening - do you have another drive that you can format FAT32 and see if you can write to it?  Most thumbdrives come FAT32.

James

Yes, I can write over the network on to the Bryston thumb drive which came with the BDP-1 and is FAT32 fomatted.  But I can't write to the NTFS formatted My Passport drive unless I plug it in directly to the PC.  I don't have another external hard drive which I can reformat.

On the Bryston settings page it says "README: *NTFS (Windows) volumes do not support Read/Write function currently; support is planned
*After remotely copying files to a drive, click the 'Update' button above"

Nigel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #539 on: 10 Mar 2012, 07:13 pm »
Yes, I can write over the network on to the Bryston thumb drive which came with the BDP-1 and is FAT32 fomatted.  But I can't write to the NTFS formatted My Passport drive unless I plug it in directly to the PC.  I don't have another external hard drive which I can reformat.

On the Bryston settings page it says "README: *NTFS (Windows) volumes do not support Read/Write function currently; support is planned
*After remotely copying files to a drive, click the 'Update' button above"

Nigel

OK - email Chris Rice at Bryston and see if he can help. crice@bryston.com

james