BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

TingBB

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #500 on: 1 Dec 2011, 02:06 am »
*sigh, hoping that it can be used with NAS in the future.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #501 on: 1 Dec 2011, 02:12 am »
*sigh, hoping that it can be used with NAS in the future.

Hi,

I would not count on that - do not want to mislead anyone.

james

bluemark81

« Reply #502 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:42 pm »
Is there a way to connect the digital out on a Wadia 170i dock to the USB on the BDP-1?  I've searched for a cable to convert the two as well as adapters, but have had no luck.  It would be nice to be able to connect them and use the 44.1 kHz music files stored on my iPod as opposed to connecting my computer via USB to the BDP-1 each time.

terrycym

« Reply #503 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:52 pm »
Not going to work as they do two entirely different things.
Why not connect the Wadia output to whatever the BDP-1 is connected to?

SHV

« Reply #504 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:58 pm »
I have the Cambridge Audio equivalent IPod dock and have it connected to my BDA via SPDIF coax.  From previous discussions, the IPod/Pad can't be connected to the BDP as an USB drive.

Steve

bluemark81

« Reply #505 on: 13 Dec 2011, 01:48 am »
Not going to work as they do two entirely different things.
Why not connect the Wadia output to whatever the BDP-1 is connected to?

Because then I would have to disconnect the BDP-1 as it is connected to my Simaudio Supernova CD players digital input.  Everyone says everything seems to sound better through the BDP-1, so I was hoping to try it out.  I was hoping to connect the Wadia to one of the 4 USB ports and leave it there as opposed to disconnecting the BDP-1 each time I wanted to use the Wadia.  The other option I suppose is to get a dedicated DAC.

srb

« Reply #506 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
Another option would be to get an S/PDIF switch box like the Inday.

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

Steve

Tezza009

« Reply #507 on: 20 Dec 2011, 10:06 am »
Hi there
Hopefully I have posted this to the right spot. Just wondering if the BDP-1 will play 24 bit ALAC flies. Does not seem to work on my setup.
Regards
Terry

JfTM

« Reply #508 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm »
My ALAC library plays fine.  I just copied my iTunes music files (at the artist folder level) to an appropriate external HDD. 

Tezza009

« Reply #509 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:24 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply. I should have been clearer. 16 bit ALAC play fine as do hi rez Flac files. However, cannot get hi rez 24 bit ALAC files to play.
Regards Terry.

« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2011, 01:41 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #510 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:41 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply. I should have been clearer. 16 bit ALAC play fine as do hi rez Flac files. However, cannot get hi rez 24 bit ALAC files to play.
Regards Terry.

Hi Terry

Where can I get 24bit ALAC to test?

james

Tezza009

« Reply #511 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:38 pm »
Hi James, I will send to your email account, Terry

geordienp

« Reply #512 on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:46 am »
Hi. I have just ordered a BDP-1 and BDA-1 to drive my new Bryston/PMC system and I am now working out what kit I need to feed it with digital music files.  I am thinking about controlling the equipment initially with a laptop (on my home wi-fi network) and a universal remote.  So I will try out Max and GNOME.  I understand that the BDP-1 can be hard-wired with ethernet cable to my wireless router for receipt of control signals from the remote control device (laptop).  I may invest later in an Ipad. 

I am more intrigued now about how and where to store ripped CD FLAC files and how to feed them to the BDP-1.  I plan to use my desktop PC to rip CD's (using dbPoweramp or EAC) to FLAC files on my PC's second hard drive and I would ideally like to drag and drop them onto a networked storage device connected by ethernet cable rather than having to keep unplugging USB devices and moving them back and forth from computer room to lounge.  Although I am sure I will make some use of USB flash drives and maybe a USB powered HDD (like the WD Pssport Essential SE) I am keen to be able to directly select music from my entire CD collection and any high res downloads I acquire over the next few years, so I will want to connect a couple of large hard drives to the BDP-1.

In the absence of a Bryston dedicated NAS drive I am attracted to the Synology DS211j NAS http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS211j/index.php
which adds all sorts of additional functionality to being a bay for two hard drives.  It could double as a back-up file server for all my family's computers and could ocasionally be used to stream music, photos and video to any devices on my home wi-fi network (and over the net to anywhere else) as well as feeding the BDP-1 with FLAC files via its USB output.  It is a powered device containing computer circuitry - 1.2GHz Marvell Kirwood CPU, 128MB DDR2 RAM with support for JBOD, RAID 0 and RAID 1 arrays plus iSCSI support - so it is basically a low power computer as well as a data storage device.  I imagine any objection to using this with the BDP-1 will be the risk of noise contamination degrading the audio chain?  It runs very quietly apparently and could be located well away from the hifi or in a cupboard by using a long USB cable.  It has many very good customer reviews over here in the UK but has anyone actually tried it with the BDP-1?  Is there any reason why I should not go down this route?  I would obviously not want to compromise sound quality.

James, when is the planned Bryston USB file server going to come out?

And a merry Xmas to everyone!

Nigel

SHV

« Reply #513 on: 25 Dec 2011, 03:28 am »
"I plan to use my desktop PC to rip CD's (using dbPoweramp or EAC) to FLAC files on my PC's second hard drive and I would ideally like to drag and drop them onto a networked storage device "
I think that you are over thinking the situation.  The USB drive/s that are connected to the BDP-1 show up as drives on the network.  So it's just drag and drop from computer to BDP-1.  If you rip 10s of albums at a sitting, it's more time efficient to transfer files directly rather than over the network.

Steve

srb

« Reply #514 on: 25 Dec 2011, 03:53 am »
The BDP-1 requires a directly attached USB drive for music file storage.  The USB port on the Synology NAS is a USB host port to connect peripherals (a USB drive, a USB printer, a USB wireless network dongle, etc.) to be shared on the network, however it cannot be connected to another host (another computer or the BDP-1) to provide connectivity to its internal drives.

Steve

geordienp

« Reply #515 on: 25 Dec 2011, 10:26 am »
The USB drive/s that are connected to the BDP-1 show up as drives on the network.  So it's just drag and drop from computer to BDP-1.  If you rip 10s of albums at a sitting, it's more time efficient to transfer files directly rather than over the network.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  When you say "over the network" do you mean wirelessly?  I am assuming that the drag and drop transfer would send the data down hard-wired ethernet cable linking my PC to the BDP-1 via my router?  Or when you say "it's more time efficient to transfer files directly rather than over the network" do you mean unplugging a USB hard drive or flash drive from the BDP, inserting it in the PC's USB socket and then dragging and dropping on the PC from internal to external drive?  I was hoping to be able to transfer files from the PC to a hard drive connected to the BDP-1 without having to unplug devices.  Appreciate your guidance.

Nigel

geordienp

« Reply #516 on: 25 Dec 2011, 10:39 am »
The USB port on the Synology NAS is a USB host port to connect peripherals (a USB drive, a USB printer, a USB wireless network dongle, etc.) to be shared on the network, however it cannot be connected to another host (another computer or the BDP-1) to provide connectivity to its internal drives.

Steve

Glad I asked first then!  But are you sure?  If, as is apparently the case, reading a review, the Synology's USB ports can be used "to add further storage and backup specific content to thumb drives" then data files can clearly be transferred out via the USB, so why could that data not be seen and read by a connected BDP-1?

Nigel

SamKVA

« Reply #517 on: 25 Dec 2011, 01:31 pm »
Glad I asked first then!  But are you sure?  If, as is apparently the case, reading a review, the Synology's USB ports can be used "to add further storage and backup specific content to thumb drives" then data files can clearly be transferred out via the USB, so why could that data not be seen and read by a connected BDP-1?

Nigel

Thumb drives are not hosts and the BDP-1 is (as is the NAS). Best way to confirm is to hold the ends of a USB cable in your hands while looking at the ports on the NAS and BDP-1; it should be clear that it won't work.

Sam

SHV

« Reply #518 on: 25 Dec 2011, 04:39 pm »
Thanks Steve.  When you say "over the network" do you mean wirelessly?  I am assuming that the drag and drop transfer would send the data down hard-wired ethernet cable linking my PC to the BDP-1 via my router?  Or when you say "it's more time efficient to transfer files directly rather than over the network" do you mean unplugging a USB hard drive or flash drive from the BDP, inserting it in the PC's USB socket and then dragging and dropping on the PC from internal to external drive?  I was hoping to be able to transfer files from the PC to a hard drive connected to the BDP-1 without having to unplug devices.  Appreciate your guidance.

Nigel

I am not an expert on this stuff but...for example, I have a wireless router to which my BDP-1 is hard wired, the alternative would be to use a D-link power line adapter or lastly a travel adapter such as trendnet tew-654.  It is my understanding that the BDP-1/internet connection performs two main functions: control of the BDP and access for album art. In addition, the USB drives attached to the USB show up on you home network so that music file may be transferred wireless from your PC/Mac to the BDP-1 attached USB drive.

As far a transfer efficiency, when I was ripping my CD collection, I might have 20-30 albums to be transferred at one sitting.. It was more time efficient to attach the BDP-1 drive directly to the USB port on my Mac than to transfer via wireless.  Now that I just transfer a song or a few albums, I rarely do direct transfer.

Steve

geordienp

« Reply #519 on: 25 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm »
The BDP-1 requires a directly attached USB drive for music file storage.  The USB port on the Synology NAS is a USB host port to connect peripherals (a USB drive, a USB printer, a USB wireless network dongle, etc.) to be shared on the network, however it cannot be connected to another host (another computer or the BDP-1) to provide connectivity to its internal drives.

Steve

Not being into computers I am learning slowly here.  I understand what you mean by two hosts and that you would normally use a USB port to attach a peripheral device to a host computer (or a BDP-1), but I don't understand where the line is drawn between a storage device whose files the BDP-1 can read and one which it cannot.  If it cannot connect via USB and play the music files on the Synology's hard drives, what about the Lacie device which seems functionally very similar: http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10491 ?  I thought someone said that did work with the BDP-1?  It boasts both ethernet and USB interfaces.

Failing that, the BDP-1 obviously can read the files on external hard drives like the WD My Books, Essentials and the portable Passports which James recommends.  But you would still want to keep the music files safely somewhere else - i.e. another hard drive or NAS.

Is there no NAS which directly interfaces via USB with the Bryston and which can also be used as a principal media storage for streaming to other devices (e.g. video and photo files)? 

Nigel