In the default view its part of the artist index feature introduced with S2.38

http://vps96186.vps.ovh.ca/docs/whatsnew/manicmoose/2.38/index.html

In the artist view it was introduced in S2.36

http://vps96186.vps.ovh.ca/docs/whatsnew/manicmoose/2.36/index.html

Chris

jwsadauskas

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1401 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:54 pm »
I'm in the process of installing an internal SSD into my BDP-2.   I have the SSD partitioned as FAT32 with 220Gb in a primary partition volume labeled LIBRARY and 10Gb in a logical partition volume labelled SCRATCH, intended for the scratch drive.   The music library works fine.  And I'm seeing some album art.  Volume names and sizes look fine in MiniTool Patition Wizard.

Problem:  Manic Moose - Disk Information reports the volume size for SCRATCH as NaN.  What did I do wrong?  How do I fix this?

jwsadauskas

« Reply #1402 on: 17 Feb 2019, 09:38 pm »
I answered my own question.

I changed the partition from Logical to Primary, and the NaN problem went away.

Now I just need to figure out how to get Read/Write access to a drive from Windows.  When I try to delete a file, it says I need to have permission, but I don't see any way to submit any credentials.  (I have the same problem with an external USB drive)

jwsadauskas

« Reply #1403 on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:19 pm »
More details on my question:

How do I get Read/Write access to a USB drive connected to a BDP-2 from Windows. 

I have A USB connected SSD drive partitioned as FAT32 with 220Gb in a primary partition volume labeled LIBRARY and 10Gb in a logical partition volume labelled SCRATCH, registered as the scratch drive.   The music library works fine.

But I can only write to the drive when I disconnect it from the BDP and connect it to my Windows PC

When I navigate over the network  from my Windows PC to the drive connected to the BDP,  I'm asked for a User ID and password, which I enter.   Then when I try to copy a file from Windows to the BDP or delete a file on the BDP, it says I need to have permission, but I don't see any way to submit any additional credentials.  How do I grant myself permission?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1404 on: 4 Mar 2019, 07:30 pm »
To be honest sounds like a configuration issue on the NAS, but if you want to place the BDP into service mode and email me the service ID along with any needed credentials for the BDP to connect to the NAS we can take a look remotely.  Service mode and my email address can be found in the manic moose manual (page 24), linked below.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #1405 on: 6 Mar 2019, 12:34 pm »
Hello!

I have a few questions regarding high-res support on the BDP pkatform. I have a BDP-2 but I assume this applies to all models. My questions are as follows:

1. Is BDP still limited to DSD128 (5.6 MHz) and if so, what is the limiting factor - hardware or software?
2. What is the maximum sampling rate suššprted by the BDP with factory installed BUC-board through it's AES/EBU and COAXIAL output?
3. In relation to question number 2 (not to be repeating myself), how about the USB output?
4. A few years ago when BDP-2 became available, I read there is an optional connector bracket that can be attached to the rear panel and provide 2 additional USB ports just by removing the plate cover withheld by 2 screws and replacing it with this bracket. If you look at the BDP-2 from behind, this plate cover is located on the far left. Have I understood this correctly and is this bracket available from Bryston? I ssume this bracket is connected to the main computer board inside.
5. What purpose does the HDMI port on the BDP-3 serve? Is this an audio interface or a video interface to connect to a monitor?
6. With respect to USB connection to outboard DACs, is it limited to Bryston DACs only or does it work with any DAC with a USB input? I assume the DAC has to be a USB class 2.0 compliant. I am sorry if I have missed this bit of information but it would perhaps be a good idea to have a list of compatible DACs on your website. It would be impossible to test them all but some forum members might be of assistance in providing some information.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1406 on: 8 Mar 2019, 11:42 am »
Anyone?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1407 on: 8 Mar 2019, 01:36 pm »
Hello!

I have a few questions regarding high-res support on the BDP pkatform. I have a BDP-2 but I assume this applies to all models. My questions are as follows:

1. Is BDP still limited to DSD128 (5.6 MHz) and if so, what is the limiting factor - hardware or software?
2. What is the maximum sampling rate suššprted by the BDP with factory installed BUC-board through it's AES/EBU and COAXIAL output?
3. In relation to question number 2 (not to be repeating myself), how about the USB output?
4. A few years ago when BDP-2 became available, I read there is an optional connector bracket that can be attached to the rear panel and provide 2 additional USB ports just by removing the plate cover withheld by 2 screws and replacing it with this bracket. If you look at the BDP-2 from behind, this plate cover is located on the far left. Have I understood this correctly and is this bracket available from Bryston? I ssume this bracket is connected to the main computer board inside.
5. What purpose does the HDMI port on the BDP-3 serve? Is this an audio interface or a video interface to connect to a monitor?
6. With respect to USB connection to outboard DACs, is it limited to Bryston DACs only or does it work with any DAC with a USB input? I assume the DAC has to be a USB class 2.0 compliant. I am sorry if I have missed this bit of information but it would perhaps be a good idea to have a list of compatible DACs on your website. It would be impossible to test them all but some forum members might be of assistance in providing some information.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!
Antun

As far as I am aware there is no limitation on sample rate of pcm or dsd on a USB interface.  We've only been able to test up to DSD128 because we haven't had a USB DAC that supports higher then this via DoP to test with.  Our own DSD capable DAC the BDA-3 only supports up to DSD128 via DoP and only DSD256 via the native DSD protocol.  Native DSD support for the BDA-3 and other Bryston DACs are planned for the next major release, but there really hasn't been a big push for it.  We've been focused on improving the user interface and streaming services.

192khz 24bit is the maximum supported

As per the first answer I don't think there is anything technically limiting it but the USB DAC it self, but we've only tested with what our DACs are capable of doing.

The plan was to offer a USB 3.0 option, but in the early days it required newer firmware, which we did eventually release (manic moose with 3.16 kernel(I think)).  By the time we got there it really wasn't being asked for and ended up not really ever going anywhere.  Although now that we carry the needed parts for the BDP3 I may investigate what needs to be done to bring it to the bdp2 as well.  Maybe follow up with me in Monday?

It acts as both, we don't really recommend it for audio, it will go up to pcm 192khz, but the quality of the interface is inferior to the digital spdif and usb interfaces.  It should also produce an image showing the currently playing tracks cover art along with the track name, artist and album.

That is correct, the bdp's (all of them except maybe the bdp-pi) should work with most any standard USB audio class 2 DACs.  We've only ever tested with our own DACs and occasionally a customer or dealer will send us a DAC to test with, but I'm not sure if we have a list.  We've even added an advance audio settings page to our audio device settings page to help change any irregular settings that the Linux firmware might not just do with certain 3rd party DAC manufacturers that don't test with Linux.

Hope this answers your questions

R. Daneel

« Reply #1408 on: 8 Mar 2019, 07:50 pm »
As far as I am aware there is no limitation on sample rate of pcm or dsd on a USB interface.  We've only been able to test up to DSD128 because we haven't had a USB DAC that supports higher then this via DoP to test with.  Our own DSD capable DAC the BDA-3 only supports up to DSD128 via DoP and only DSD256 via the native DSD protocol.  Native DSD support for the BDA-3 and other Bryston DACs are planned for the next major release, but there really hasn't been a big push for it.  We've been focused on improving the user interface and streaming services.

192khz 24bit is the maximum supported

As per the first answer I don't think there is anything technically limiting it but the USB DAC it self, but we've only tested with what our DACs are capable of doing.

The plan was to offer a USB 3.0 option, but in the early days it required newer firmware, which we did eventually release (manic moose with 3.16 kernel(I think)).  By the time we got there it really wasn't being asked for and ended up not really ever going anywhere.  Although now that we carry the needed parts for the BDP3 I may investigate what needs to be done to bring it to the bdp2 as well.  Maybe follow up with me in Monday?

It acts as both, we don't really recommend it for audio, it will go up to pcm 192khz, but the quality of the interface is inferior to the digital spdif and usb interfaces.  It should also produce an image showing the currently playing tracks cover art along with the track name, artist and album.

That is correct, the bdp's (all of them except maybe the bdp-pi) should work with most any standard USB audio class 2 DACs.  We've only ever tested with our own DACs and occasionally a customer or dealer will send us a DAC to test with, but I'm not sure if we have a list.  We've even added an advance audio settings page to our audio device settings page to help change any irregular settings that the Linux firmware might not just do with certain 3rd party DAC manufacturers that don't test with Linux.

Hope this answers your questions

Hi Chris!

Yes, thank you, it is very helpful!

Okay, I will follow up with you on Monday on the additional rear USB ports.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1409 on: 11 Mar 2019, 04:32 pm »

Hi Chris!

Did you have time to investigate whether this is applicable to BDP-2 perhaps?

Cheers!
Antun

Rod_S

« Reply #1410 on: 23 Mar 2019, 05:32 pm »
So yesterday I decided to use my Galaxy S9 to control my BDP-2 for the 1st time but was surprised to see an incredibly minimalist and primitive interface, not at all like I see on my PC and iPad. I could not find the dashboard nor could I find Artist view to easily and visually scroll through my artists and albums. All I could find was the search screen for attempting to locate music.

Am I doing something wrong?

Rod_S

« Reply #1411 on: 27 Mar 2019, 10:18 pm »
What's the URL to enable the enhanced dashboard that shows all of the album art?

Rod_S

« Reply #1412 on: 28 Mar 2019, 11:21 am »
OK, I found the media player in Android on my Samsung S9. Wow, was that buried. The Media Player heading you see when the app initially loads doesn't work, it wasn't until I accidentally hit the Virtual Control Panel option under settings that I saw both the Dashboard and Media player buttons. I clicked on Media Player there and it loaded with all of the visualization and options I'm accustomed to seeing on my PC and iPad.

I clicked on Dashboard and it loads the view I see when I launch the BDP page but it does not contain the album artwork hence my question above asking for the URL that triggers the V2 Dashboard as I thought you needed to do that in order to see the album art. I was able to find the URL's in the Manic Moose thread on page 98 but they don't work for me. They contain bryston-bdp-2.local which simply does not work on my S9, the phone does not recognize the name thus can't find the player. I ran into a similar issue when trying to connect to the player initially. It wasn't until I came across the mybryston URL in the BDP-3 documentation that I was able to use that to connect to the player. Is there anyway I can leverage that to get the dashboard to display the artwork like it does on my PC and iPad?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1413 on: 28 Mar 2019, 06:26 pm »
Hi Chris!

Did you have time to investigate whether this is applicable to BDP-2 perhaps?

Cheers!
Antun

It’s on my radar I just need to submit the paper work to get a retail price, it’ll probably be around $200-$300 for one rear facing USB 3.0 port.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1414 on: 28 Mar 2019, 06:29 pm »
They contain bryston-bdp-2.local which simply does not work on my S9

You’ll need to replace bryston-bdp-2.local with the up address assigned to your bdp, you can get the up address by pushing the down arrow button on the front of the unit.

Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #1415 on: 30 Mar 2019, 05:05 pm »
You’ll need to replace bryston-bdp-2.local with the up address assigned to your bdp, you can get the up address by pushing the down arrow button on the front of the unit.

Chris

Thanks

So just to make sure there is no confusion I able able to control the BDP from my cell phone it's just that I'm trying to get the V2 dashboard to engage so I can see all of my albums there vs having to go over into artist View in media player. This is already working correctly on my iPad via Chrome and Safari and on my Windows laptop via Chrome, Edge and IE.

So when following the below instructions:

enable the version 2 dashboard issue the below command in terminal prompt
php -f /bin/chgsettings.php system dashboard 2
To revert back to the original use this command
php -f /bin/chgsettings.php system dashboard 1
Alternativly using a web browser use the following two url's
http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=2
http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=1

If I go to:

http://##.###.##.##/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=2

That should turn on the v2 dashboard and show all of my album covers?

Calypte

« Reply #1416 on: 30 Mar 2019, 08:09 pm »
Neither of the provided URLs work  for me.  I have no idea what a V2 dashboard is, so I was hoping one of these would give me a clue.  I have a BDP-pi.  MM v.2.36 for Android cell phone is ridden by bugs.  MM v.2.38 is worse, since it's prone to degenerating into displays of hex-code and garbage.  I had to have Gary Dayton reinstall v.2.36 for me, since its bugs are at least manageable.  If there's an alternative interface, I'm interested in seeing it.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2019, 10:23 pm by Calypte »

docder

« Reply #1417 on: 4 Apr 2019, 01:05 pm »
The notion of a version 2 dashboard has always been a bit of a mystery to me, too.
I have a BDP-1 and not a BDP-2, would it still work in that case? When I have replaced BDP-2 with BDP-1 in the provided url nothing happens.

Rod_S

« Reply #1418 on: 4 Apr 2019, 02:18 pm »
If I remember correctly when I did this on my iPad and PC nothing will happen when you go to the URL, it acts as a switch to flip dashboard modes. In order to see the effect you had to then load up the interface and go to dashboard at which time you would see all of your albums displayed with their artwork (if you enabled the 1st URL), the 2nd URL switched the dashboard back.

docder

« Reply #1419 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:14 pm »
Thanks, Rod. Ah, I see it all now, pictures everywhere.