Stratos Mono not working

mtho33

Stratos Mono not working
« on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:33 am »
The amps are meant to be used for the Mid/High towers of my Infinity RS1a (earlier version of RS1b) speakers.
I bought the speakers close to 20 years ago and never power it up.

I power up the RS1a speakers yesterday for the first time with Odyssey monos for the mid/high towers and Threshold amp for the bass towers. I found that the sound of the left midrange tower was very soft. It seems that the seven midrange EMIM drivers were not working and the tweeters have high pitch music.
The right speaker sound normal.

The passive crossover was set with input impedance 25K and non-inverting.

I then pull out wire from the EMIM drivers terminals of the left speaker and put them back in to clean of some dust.
I power up the speaker again and now the left side sound a lot better as the EMIM drivers are working. So I power off and proceed to do the same thing with
the right midrange tower as well.

I power up again and found now the left speaker is working like normal but there was no sound to the right speaker.
What I found was the Odyssey mono at the right channel have no power. The front 'Odyssey' blue led does not light up.

I checked the four fuse visually and found no problem. There have 'continuity' when checked with multimeter.

I am thinking of replacing the fuse with the one that comes with my amp but i am not sure. The three replacement fuse are the white one in the picture but the four fuse inside the amp have see through glass.

Can I use the 'white' fuse as my last resort to fix the problem? (I do not know anything about electronics)

Beside fuse is there a protection switch inside the amplifier that was shut off? (I checked power cable and found no problem and there are electricity in the outlet)

Picture shows the mid range tower with seven EMIM drivers for the Mids.

klaus@odyssey

Re: Stratos Mono not working
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2021, 12:18 pm »
When amp doesn't power up  =  light doesn't come on,  then it's most likely the external power fuse.....in a hidden compartment in the plastic IEC  housing in the back plate....right underneath the pins.....should also be a spare in there.........

mtho33

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2021, 05:50 pm »
Thanks Klaus. Now I can see the fuse holder.

I am not sure how to remove the fuse holder and afraid that I damage it with the screw driver. I search the internet and found only video of inserting the holder back in. No video of pulling the holder out.
Please correct my understanding if I am wrong:

Insert flat screw driver to the gap shown in the picture. Apply sideway force to 'slide' out the fuse holder like opening a cabinet drawer.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2021, 07:50 pm »
Yes...it's a standard fused IEC  connector...the pics are correct

mtho33

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm »
Thanks Klaus! You are correct!
I finally removed the fuse. The 'active' white fuse shows no continuity when tested with multimeter.
Now I use the glass type spare fuse as the main fuse and one of the extra white fuse you gave me as spare fuse.
I now realized that the extra fuse I got from you are external fuse.

I need to apply force to remove the fuse holder while at the same time do not want to damage the plastic.
One of my screwdriver actually broke into two.

Now the right amp have power and both channels of my Infinity RS1a speakers are working.

I do not know why the fuse blown. Maybe it is because the left Mid/High tower was not working initially due to dirty terminals and so all power went to the right channel or maybe the right mono amp was ON when I was cleaning the terminals of the right speaker.

mtho33

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2021, 10:40 pm »
The external fuse have specs T10A 250V.

Right now I just wanted to test to ensure that the old Infinity towers are working. Some of the wires I use are cheap Monoprice wires that I temporary borrow from my home theater system that is still work-in-progress.
Even with cheap interconnects the sound of the Odyssey monos running the Infinity Mid/High towers are smooth and sweet.

The OPPO 205 player is connected directly to the Infinity passive crossover with no Preamp. I tested up to volume 70 (out of 100) and the Odyssey monos show no sound distortion.

I also have a secondary system with Odyssey Extreme for Polk Lsi 705 speakers.

mtho33

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2021, 10:44 pm »
The power for the amps use for Infinity towers came from dedicated 20 Amp outlet.

qdrone

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2021, 11:38 pm »
Nice system,bet it sounds awesome.

mtho33

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2021, 11:47 pm »
Nice system,bet it sounds awesome.

Thanks. The more recent upgraded silver Odyssey monos have much better sound quality than the old black 'upgraded' Extreme monos of the secondary system.

mtho33

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2023, 03:44 am »
I have not used my Stratos/Kismet monos for a while. This week I use it a few times. Today when I switch on the amp the left mono channel does not work.
I replaced the fuse at the power outlet and it works again.
Klauss have given me three extra fuse and now I used up all of them.
I wonder the problem is related to the thick and heavy power cable I used? It is so heavy that the connector cannot seat flush to the outlet.
So I will use thinner power cable now to test.

I wanted to get extra fuse. Where can I buy them?
On the fuse I can see FT10AH250VP - is this a slow blow fuse 10A and 250V rating?