Loving the new BDP-3!

Socal77

Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #160 on: 26 Jan 2021, 08:56 pm »
Hello James. You are correct. However it was not an issue with the BDP-1 (my experience) nor the early BDP-2 units before the updates.  If this were not a problem, I would be buying a BDP-3 today (actually, I would have bought one a long time ago).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #161 on: 27 Jan 2021, 01:02 am »
^ Hi

Do you not feel though that the goal is to listen to the music in its Native Format and not translate everything into a DSD file?

james

Socal77

« Reply #162 on: 27 Jan 2021, 01:34 am »
^ Hi

Do you not feel though that the goal is to listen to the music in its Native Format and not translate everything into a DSD file?

james

Do you not feel we should be agnostic to format? I think the goal is to achieve the best possible sound, most analog and free of digital artifacts, etc.   The PS Audio DirectStream DAC does that extraordinarily well.  It does it well with my BDP-1, but the BDP-1 is severely resource limited in its processing power. The BDP-3 makes up for that deficiency but is not usable with the DirectStream if any HiRez files are going to be encountered. The unanswered question that no one can explain is why does the BDP-1 interface well while the more powerful, better refined BDP-3 cannot.

Jeff

Johnney

« Reply #163 on: 27 Jan 2021, 06:29 am »
I only have a good grade of USB 2 cable, can it still be used with DSD128?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #164 on: 27 Jan 2021, 07:14 am »
I only have a good grade of USB 2 cable, can it still be used with DSD128?

Hi Johnney

I believe so but I will check with engineering.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 27 Jan 2021, 07:19 am »
Do you not feel we should be agnostic to format? I think the goal is to achieve the best possible sound, most analog and free of digital artifacts, etc.   The PS Audio DirectStream DAC does that extraordinarily well.  It does it well with my BDP-1, but the BDP-1 is severely resource limited in its processing power. The BDP-3 makes up for that deficiency but is not usable with the DirectStream if any HiRez files are going to be encountered. The unanswered question that no one can explain is why does the BDP-1 interface well while the more powerful, better refined BDP-3 cannot.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I agree that the goal is to achieve the best possible sound but I guess my solution to that is to let each format stand on its own merits and I just think that playing back the digital file in its 'Native' format rather than 'Converting' it to another format makes for the best potential to achieve that goal.

I am not sure on the BDP-3 issue but I will ask engineering and see if they have any thoughts.

james

Johnney

« Reply #166 on: 27 Jan 2021, 07:54 am »
Just setup WiFi Dongle with BDP-3. I could only access to BDP-3 with IP address, not from my.Bryston.com nor BryFi App, anyone could provide me an advice? Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #167 on: 27 Jan 2021, 09:18 am »
Just setup WiFi Dongle with BDP-3. I could only access to BDP-3 with IP address, not from my.Bryston.com nor BryFi App, anyone could provide me an advice? Thanks

Hi Johnney - email Chris at crice@bryston.com

james

Johnney

« Reply #168 on: 27 Jan 2021, 09:53 am »
Hi Johnney - email Chris at crice@bryston.com

james
Thank you, James. I just emailed Chris for it.

Johnney

« Reply #169 on: 29 Jan 2021, 03:44 am »
I have my bdp3 installed with an internal 2TB SSD and WiFi dongle, how do I add or remove music file from SSD remotely? Thanks

Wapiti

« Reply #170 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:59 am »
Hi Folks,

I think engineering told me the PS Audio Direct Stream upsamples all incoming digital signals to DSD and that was an issue for us.

james

Incoming PCM is first converted by the PS Audio DAC to 352.8 or 384 PCM (depending on the rate of the input) then to 56.448MHz (20 times the SACD DSD rate), then to quad rate DSD (DSD256).

This should have no impact on the inability to pass 24/192 PCM from the BDP-2 to the DSD using the AES/EBU connection.  The other inputs on the PS Audio DAC work fine with the BDPs.  Also, what the DAC subsequently does with data should not matter.

It is an odd issue. 

GSDaudio

« Reply #171 on: 29 Jan 2021, 12:11 pm »

This should have no impact on the inability to pass 24/192 PCM from the BDP-2 to the DSD using the AES/EBU connection.  The other inputs on the PS Audio DAC work fine with the BDPs.  Also, what the DAC subsequently does with data should not matter.

It is an odd issue.

Are there any International Standards promoting interchangeability between DACs and Digital Transports?  One would assume the SPDIF would have certain protocols that every manufacture abides by.   Is there a DSD protocol?   I don't think that I would mix and match manufacturers products but if I got a great deal on a well renowned DAC other than Bryston it would be comforting to know if such standards/protocols exist.

Cheers,
Richard

audioMirror

« Reply #172 on: 30 Jan 2021, 08:31 pm »
I have my bdp3 installed with an internal 2TB SSD and WiFi dongle, how do I add or remove music file from SSD remotely? Thanks

I only have a BDP-2, and it is on hard-wired ethernet, but this is my guess as to what you need to do.

Can you access the manic-moose interface via http://bryston-bdp-3/   ?  If so, then your wifi is working.

Is your hard-drive formatted?  If not, then use Manic Moose to format it via the "Erase" function, and choosing the drive (the interface could be a bit better).  You choose a partition name, and do the erase (really a format).  I choose FAT format (I don't know what the EXT format is, or if it is better).  After a minute it should show the partition.  Then click on Mount (make sure this doesn't unmount.  the same button toggles between the two states).

That procedure is only for a new drive.  It won't work on an already partitioned drive (which you can just mount).

One you have the drive mounted, you can add music to it by connecting from a PC as a Network drive.

connect to \\BRYSTON-BDP-3 via the Windows 10 search pane.  It may also show up as a Network drive in Explorer (but I find that Explorer doesn't always poll what is recently on the network).

If you can't get there, you may have to go into go into "Turn Windows Features On/Off", and enable Samba 1 client capability on the Windows machine.  I'm not sure if Manic Moose has upgraded the Samba version, but in 2018 I lost Bryston connectivity when Windows turned off the old Samba 1 for security reasons.

Once you have the drive up in Explorer, you can copy to it just like a normal Windows drive.

That's about the extent of my knowledge, and hopefully someone else or one of the Bryston people can help you if any step doesn't work.

GSDaudio

« Reply #173 on: 30 Jan 2021, 09:49 pm »
Is your hard-drive formatted?  If not, then use Manic Moose to format it via the "Erase" function, and choosing the drive (the interface could be a bit better).  You choose a partition name, and do the erase (really a format).  I choose FAT format (I don't know what the EXT format is, or if it is better).  After a minute it should show the partition.  Then click on Mount (make sure this doesn't unmount.  the same button toggles between the two states).

Damn, I thought you had to buy a sata-usb adapter and format outside the BDP-3!!   Time to shop!

That's about the extent of my knowledge, and hopefully someone else or one of the Bryston people can help you if any step doesn't work.

I have a new BDP-3 for a month now.   The firmware is the latest release.  Be sure to enable "SAMBA" in the dashboard.   If you are using a MAC then open a new finder window and click the Bryston BDP "mount".   A few seconds later you will see your hard drive in the window.   To move files copy them from another finder window and paste into the hard drive.   A bit slower than a direct file transfer but you can listen to your BDP-3 while files are copying.

Johnney

« Reply #174 on: 31 Jan 2021, 01:25 am »
I only have a BDP-2, and it is on hard-wired ethernet, but this is my guess as to what you need to do.

Can you access the manic-moose interface via http://bryston-bdp-3/   ?  If so, then your wifi is working.

That procedure is only for a new drive.  It won't work on an already partitioned drive (which you can just mount).

One you have the drive mounted, you can add music to it by connecting from a PC as a Network drive.

connect to \\BRYSTON-BDP-3 via the Windows 10 search pane.  It may also show up as a Network drive in Explorer (but I find that Explorer doesn't always poll what is recently on the network).

If you can't get there, you may have to go into go into "Turn Windows Features On/Off", and enable Samba 1 client capability on the Windows machine.  I'm not sure if Manic Moose has upgraded the Samba version, but in 2018 I lost Bryston connectivity when Windows turned off the old Samba 1 for security reasons.

Once you have the drive up in Explorer, you can copy to it just like a normal Windows drive.

Mine SSD is already formatted in FAT32. I will try rest steps you provided when I get home. Thank you so much

Johnney

« Reply #175 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:56 am »

It works! Once go into "Turn Windows Features On/Off", and enable Samba 1 client capability on the Windows machine, I see BDP appears in network. Thank you so much for the tips!

Johnney

« Reply #176 on: 2 Feb 2021, 04:28 am »

Today I try to copy a main folder which has many sub folders (70GB) into BDP on network. WiFi dongle of BDP stops responding after few minutes and same result happened twice.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2021, 02:53 pm by Johnney »

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #177 on: 14 Feb 2021, 04:57 pm »
Hi Folks,

Review from German magazine on the BDP-3 - been told its exceptional 
:thumb:

I have the PDF if anyone wants it.

Can you send me the pdf of review

Thanks

Dan

gbaby

« Reply #178 on: 2 Mar 2021, 08:57 pm »

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #179 on: 6 Jun 2021, 12:18 am »
I suspect there's some simple software adjustment I haven't made, but I cannot get the USB outputs on my BDP-3 (both of them, actually!) to output any signal.

The USB DAC I've been trying has meters which tell me that no signal is being received from any of the USB outputs of the BDP-3.

The BNC-S/PDIF and XLR-AES digital outputs work perfectly on both units.

Any guidance or tips on resolving this curious problem would be much appreciated!

TIA, Joel.