Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #700 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:08 pm »
Did the weight of some of the cubes go up in comparison to the SST2's? I was browsing through the SST2 manuals because I needed to get the weight of my 28's then out of curiosity I looked up the cubes weight. The SST2 manual has is as 80lbs shipping weight so it would actually be less on it's own. The cube weight is 93lbs with no mention of shipping weight. Was there a big weight increase or is one (or both) manuals wrong?

The new specs are correct the old ones are probable lite.

james

Hikmer

« Reply #701 on: 25 Jun 2016, 02:33 pm »
I want to say thanks to all those who have provided feedback on this forum in regards to the Bryton 4B3.  I recently acquired one after weeks of research and can say without any doubt it is one of the best audio upgrade purchases I have made in a long time.  It literally tied my stereo together (as to quote a famous movie line).  I went from a 20 year old Conrad Johnson MF-2300A to the latest incarnation of the 4B3 and couldn't be happier.  It is a great fit for my current CJ LS17 preamp and my Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq subs.  Clean and undistorted was my first impression but it turns out my previous amplifier wasn't reproducing the frequency spectrum equally and was lacking in the lower octave regions in significant ways.  Gain and glare have all but disappeared, I thought this was due to my digital playback setup but that has even improved (OPPO 105).

A few thoughts.  Its heavy.  It stays significantly cooler than my CJ Amp.  The toggle switches are easy to bump on the back when setting up and I had bumped it into bridged mode while setting up the cables.  Nice to have the option for balanced inputs when I get the itch to upgrade my preamp someday too.  I really like the speaker connects on back but didn't realize I could use a coin to tighten them up at first.

One "con" is the quality of the RCA connections on the back.  I think they should spend a few more dollars for nicer RCA inputs.  My cables are somewhat loose on these connections.

Finally, it looks great...I "had" to have the 19 rack style with handles...you know it sounds better that way :P 

PS does anyone actually believe the 4B3 needs to be left on for a significant amount of time to sound any better?  I am not noticing any warm up characteristics....sounds just as good one minute as it does a full day of being left on.  Is the new pushbutton switch leave it in a state of "semi" powered?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #702 on: 25 Jun 2016, 03:31 pm »
PS does anyone actually believe the 4B3 needs to be left on for a significant amount of time to sound any better?  I am not noticing any warm up characteristics....sounds just as good one minute as it does a full day of being left on. 

There is a quite a bit of "mythology" in hi-end audio. Magic markers for CDs, shakti stones, etc.  I own a 14B2, and did not notice the slightest change in dynamics and SQ with warm-up times of several hrs.

Congrats and enjoy your 4B3!

Hikmer

« Reply #703 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:05 pm »
There is a quite a bit of "mythology" in hi-end audio. Magic markers for CDs, shakti stones, etc.  I own a 14B2, and did not notice the slightest change in dynamics and SQ with warm-up times of several hrs.

Congrats and enjoy your 4B3!

I figured as much, thanks...I am glad I waited to grab the newest model.  From what I can tell, these are a terrific bargain right now.  The SST2 series has really dropped in price but I was able to pick up a barely used 4B3 for about the same as a used SST2 model.  Maybe I got lucky...

srb

« Reply #704 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:33 pm »
One "con" is the quality of the RCA connections on the back.  I think they should spend a few more dollars for nicer RCA inputs.  My cables are somewhat loose on these connections.

The fit of an RCA plug usually has nothing to do with the center pin, which when making contact has to move aside the spring center contact.  Unfortunately, the ground shell fit is dependent on the relationship between the RCA jack outside diameter and the plug shell inside diameter, and there seems to be no standardized tolerance for this.

Because I have often experienced to loose or too tight a fit with RCA connections, even "quality" ones, I like to use locking RCA plugs which solves either potential problem.

Steve

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #705 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:34 pm »
hi, Hikmer!

congrats on your new amp :thumb:especially if you had an amp for 20 years...man, it must be a complete new musical experience.

enjoy!

al.

Hikmer

« Reply #706 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:48 pm »
The fit of an RCA plug usually has nothing to do with the center pin, which when making contact has to move aside the spring center contact.  Unfortunately, the ground shell fit is dependent on the relationship between the RCA jack outside diameter and the plug shell inside diameter, and there seems to be no standardized tolerance for this.

Because I have often experienced to loose or too tight a fit with RCA connections, even "quality" ones, I like to use locking RCA plugs which solves either potential problem.

Steve

I sent an email to the cable manufacture and asked if the RCA ends could be adjusted (AudioQuest Sky).  I have expensive crossovers form Vandersteen that limit my ability to change out RCA cables. 

However, the RCAs on this model still seem rather inexpensive and do move slightly.  An RCA with a nut to secure the input to the back plate would be desired and also look far more professional (IMO).  Most reasonably high end equipment I purchase has this type of input.

Hikmer

« Reply #707 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:49 pm »
hi, Hikmer!

congrats on your new amp :thumb:especially if you had an amp for 20 years...man, it must be a complete new musical experience.

enjoy!

al.
I really had no idea what I was missing...I always thought it was some other piece of gear that needed upgrading but quality amplification is a foundation that I will never overlook again.

srb

« Reply #708 on: 25 Jun 2016, 05:02 pm »
However, the RCAs on this model still seem rather inexpensive and do move slightly.  An RCA with a nut to secure the input to the back plate would be desired and also look far more professional (IMO).

Understood.  I've had components that have also had PCB mounted RCA jacks secured only by a screw through the back panel into the jack assembly, and when I plugged in a too-tight RCA cable (Monoprice), the PC board assembly could be heard creaking under strain.

Although some of the high end components that have RCA jacks secured by a threaded nut are hardwired (not PCB mounted), RCA jacks certainly do exist that are both PCB mounted and have a thread for hex nut retention.

Steve

Hikmer

« Reply #709 on: 25 Jun 2016, 05:10 pm »
Understood.  I've had components that have also had PCB mounted RCA jacks secured only by a screw through the back panel into the jack assembly, and when I plugged in a too-tight RCA cable (Monoprice), the PC board assembly could be heard creaking under strain.

Although some of the high end components that have RCA jacks secured by a threaded nut are hardwired (not PCB mounted), RCA jacks certainly do exist that are both PCB mounted and have a thread for hex nut retention.

Steve

Yeah that would have been my expectation as well....why not both?  Also, having the power plug located in the dead center is difficult to three legged rack stands.  I really consider these quibbles to be somewhat cosmetic but if anyone is reading who can give feedback to Bryston for the 4b4 model...then all the better.   The toggle switches are also somewhat clumsy.  Like I said, I easily switched these while reaching behind my amp and instantly knew something was wrong with the sound...FYI your amp will play music when in bridge mode with two speakers hooked up but it will sound terrible.

srb

« Reply #710 on: 25 Jun 2016, 05:18 pm »
I really consider these quibbles to be somewhat cosmetic but if anyone is reading who can give feedback to Bryston for the 4b4 model...then all the better.

Your "quibbles" have some merit for functionality.

In another post, someone was complaining that the power trigger Phoenix block connector was green instead of gray.

I always install my components with the front panel facing forward.  ;)

Steve

Hikmer

« Reply #711 on: 25 Jun 2016, 05:26 pm »
Your "quibbles" have some merit for functionality.

In another post, someone was complaining that the power trigger Phoenix block connector was green instead of gray.

I always install my components with the front panel facing forward.  ;)

Steve

Ha funny.

One other thing...the order of operations on the amplifier threw me for a scare.  The main circuit breaker on the back needs to be turned ON before the power cord is plugged in, otherwise the amp will not power up.  I had the switch turned off then plugged in, and nearly freaked out thinking there was something wrong.  There is a status light that blinks on the back which is red for bad and green for good...however being color bling I am at a loss to see this indication correctly.  I finally figured it out but maybe I can help out another color challenged person.

Rod_S

« Reply #712 on: 25 Jun 2016, 06:06 pm »
I want to say thanks to all those who have provided feedback on this forum in regards to the Bryton 4B3.  I recently acquired one after weeks of research and can say without any doubt it is one of the best audio upgrade purchases I have made in a long time.  It literally tied my stereo together (as to quote a famous movie line).  I went from a 20 year old Conrad Johnson MF-2300A to the latest incarnation of the 4B3 and couldn't be happier.  It is a great fit for my current CJ LS17 preamp and my Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq subs.  Clean and undistorted was my first impression but it turns out my previous amplifier wasn't reproducing the frequency spectrum equally and was lacking in the lower octave regions in significant ways.  Gain and glare have all but disappeared, I thought this was due to my digital playback setup but that has even improved (OPPO 105).

A few thoughts.  Its heavy.  It stays significantly cooler than my CJ Amp.  The toggle switches are easy to bump on the back when setting up and I had bumped it into bridged mode while setting up the cables.  Nice to have the option for balanced inputs when I get the itch to upgrade my preamp someday too.  I really like the speaker connects on back but didn't realize I could use a coin to tighten them up at first.

Finally, it looks great...I "had" to have the 19 rack style with handles...you know it sounds better that way :P 

PS does anyone actually believe the 4B3 needs to be left on for a significant amount of time to sound any better?  I am not noticing any warm up characteristics....sounds just as good one minute as it does a full day of being left on.  Is the new pushbutton switch leave it in a state of "semi" powered?

Congrats on the new amp. Yeah the jacks on the Bryston's are bit janky/cheap in comparison to other competing products in their price range unfortunately, it's always been that way though. They should bump up to using high quality WBT, Furutech, etc. connectors in my opinion. Given the quantity they would be ordering them in the cost increase wouldn't be much. I find your comment about the new toggle switch interesting and a bit troubling that you accidently changed it's position. I wondered if that would be an issue and it appears it is, they are large enough to get bumped. I think they look cooler than the previous style low profile plastic switches.

Hikmer

« Reply #713 on: 25 Jun 2016, 06:27 pm »
Congrats on the new amp. Yeah the jacks on the Bryston's are bit janky/cheap in comparison to other competing products in their price range unfortunately, it's always been that way though. They should bump up to using high quality WBT, Furutech, etc. connectors in my opinion. Given the quantity they would be ordering them in the cost increase wouldn't be much. I find your comment about the new toggle switch interesting and a bit troubling that you accidently changed it's position. I wondered if that would be an issue and it appears it is, they are large enough to get bumped. I think they look cooler than the previous style low profile plastic switches.

Yeah the choice of RCA is odd but maybe they are limited by what they can pick as they are mounted to the board behind?  Just a guess...   I mean they did spend some case on those fancy speaker connections, why stop there?

The switches are easy to accidently flip if you are reaching around a difficult area and rub your arm against the back of the amp (as I did).  They don't make any noise when the position is changed and very small to see...I had to triple check then read the manual to verify what setting was up and down.  I had changed two of the switches on accident, the gain and bridged mode...that made a significant problem.  However apparently it is ok to make these changes on the fly...but I would avoid it at loud volumes.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #714 on: 29 Jun 2016, 09:40 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 14B Cubed Amplifier

Hi James,

I hooked up our new 14B cubed demo yesterday and let it run overnight. 

This morning, right after the store opened, I wanted to listen to see what it was all about and wound up sitting in the sound room for almost an hour. 

This is the best Bryston amp that I've ever heard and I believe it can easily compete against others costing 2 to 3 times the price, it's that darn good!

You guys deserve a serious pat on the back for this one...

A very happy Bryston dealer,

Igor

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #715 on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:55 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston 4B³ Cubed Review

July,  2016

Hi Folks,

Please see link to a review from Inner Ear Report magazine on the new Bryston 4B Cubed amplifier.

http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/amplifiers/Bryston_4B-3.htm

Favourite Quote:

“The 4B Cubed is one of the few amplifiers of which I know where careful listening and a good system set-up can transport one from the doldrums of merely good to the rank of excellence.”

Ernie Fisher
Inner Ear Report

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #716 on: 5 Jul 2016, 09:51 am »
HI James

One great 4B³ review is online on one of the most popular online HiFi high end platforms in German speaking markets..:

http://www.hifistatement.net/

Best regards

Edvard
AViTech, Dkfm. Edvard Potisk e. U.
Czerningasse 16
1020 Vienna, Austria

Tympani

« Reply #717 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:54 pm »
James,

Have you auditioned the Cube amps with your Maggie MG20.7's? Are the 7B3's enough, or do I hold out for the 28's on my Maggie MG20 ? Currently using Classe CAM400 monoblocks, which frankly, are inadequate, with 800 watts into 4 ohms. I realize it's not all about sheer wattage, but the 4 ohm output of the 7B3's is essentially the same, at 900 watts.

I need an amp that can deliver the unrestrained crescendos and subtleties of my BDP2/BDA3 combo.

dznutz

« Reply #718 on: 8 Jul 2016, 03:46 am »
Any word on when beaded faceplates will be available for all the other gear?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #719 on: 8 Jul 2016, 10:09 am »
James,

Have you auditioned the Cube amps with your Maggie MG20.7's? Are the 7B3's enough, or do I hold out for the 28's on my Maggie MG20 ? Currently using Classe CAM400 monoblocks, which frankly, are inadequate, with 800 watts into 4 ohms. I realize it's not all about sheer wattage, but the 4 ohm output of the 7B3's is essentially the same, at 900 watts.

I need an amp that can deliver the unrestrained crescendos and subtleties of my BDP2/BDA3 combo.

Hi

Yes I have and the Maggies need all the power you can give them if you want to move away from and sense of that plastic quality they tend to have if they are under powered IMO.   You need the reserve for the dynamic contrast to bloom as well. So if its not a budget issues (and it always is) go for the 28B's.  Also (and I am not sure why) the 28B's just sound so open and liquid on the Maggies of any version.

james