Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

audio.bill

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #640 on: 11 May 2016, 12:11 am »
Words of wisdom, Rod!

Rod_S

« Reply #641 on: 13 May 2016, 12:41 pm »
Speaking of the SST2's and cubes, James has there been any new developments with respect to when/if there will be SST2 upgrades available?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #642 on: 13 May 2016, 01:20 pm »
Speaking of the SST2's and cubes, James has there been any new developments with respect to when/if there will be SST2 upgrades available?

Hi

We are still waiting on the requirement for certification on the update issue to be answered by the powers that be.  I know there is nothing we can do on the 14B (chassis issues) as an upgrade but the other models look doable as soon as we get the OK.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #643 on: 14 May 2016, 03:29 pm »
Hi

We are still waiting on the requirement for certification on the update issue to be answered by the powers that be.  I know there is nothing we can do on the 14B (chassis issues) as an upgrade but the other models look doable as soon as we get the OK.

james

Thanks for the update and at least we now know the answer for one amp so 14B-SST2 owners can move forward armed with that info.

scirica

« Reply #644 on: 15 May 2016, 01:08 am »
Hi

james

Well, there goes my upgrade path!  Oh well, the 14bsst2 is no slouch.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #645 on: 21 May 2016, 08:28 pm »
Nice shot of the new 4B Cubed at one of our dealers.

james

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #646 on: 22 May 2016, 04:01 am »
Nice shot indeed. The looks are growing on me. Thank you James, thank you very much.  :duh:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #647 on: 22 May 2016, 01:32 pm »
Well, there goes my upgrade path!  Oh well, the 14bsst2 is no slouch.

Very true. A lifer for me.  :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #648 on: 23 May 2016, 09:20 pm »
my thoughts:

the cosmetics did strike me as a bit odd on fist glance via the website. after seeing james' pics here, i now feel they look pretty cool.

as for the chronic complaining regarding the switch from sst2 to 3 or cubed, as james said it has been over 8 years sice the release of sst2, so imo, this not so much an abrupt change...and the complaints are not really warranted, imo especially when you have other manufacturers changing up stuff every 5 years or less.

finally, it looks like bryston is really on top of their game more than ever before. sky's the limit, it seems.

and james, would you say it's time for a checkup of my bp6 and 4bsst? both units are 9 years old.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #649 on: 23 May 2016, 11:03 pm »
my thoughts:

as for the chronic complaining regarding the switch from sst2 to 3 or cubed, as james said it has been over 8 years sice the release of sst2, so imo, this not so much an abrupt change...

I didn't sense any form of complaining here....just technical queries, insights, and perspectives concerning the squared/cubed series.

Only time and owners will tell how big a jump the cubed amps will be, and in which direction, from the squared amps. Under real listening room conditions.

techguy0192

« Reply #650 on: 23 May 2016, 11:08 pm »
Nice shot of the new 4B Cubed at one of our dealers.

james

I'd much rather have that 4B than the Tenor gear below it and some change in my pocket. 8)  The new look is growing on me.

vegasdave

« Reply #651 on: 24 May 2016, 12:21 am »
I didn't sense any form of complaining here....just technical queries, insights, and perspectives concerning the squared/cubed series.

Only time and owners will tell how big a jump the cubed amps will be, and in which direction, from the squared amps. Under real listening room conditions.

well, everyone percieves differently...and that's a hot potato waiting for the user feedback. since it's your ears and your wallet, you are the final judge regardless of others say...i could say the 3s absolutely are superior and the other guy could say the sst2s blow the 3s right out of the water.and then you'll have the guy who'll say his 4bsst is still the cat's meow. in other words, it will never end...but i digress, it's better than nothing, but you and only you have to please yourself first...personally, i can't see why bryston,being the company that they are, which is rather conservative, would roll out a product line just for the heck of it.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #652 on: 24 May 2016, 07:21 pm »
well, everyone percieves differently...and that's a hot potato waiting for the user feedback. since it's your ears and your wallet, you are the final judge regardless of others say...i could say the 3s absolutely are superior and the other guy could say the sst2s blow the 3s right out of the water.and then you'll have the guy who'll say his 4bsst is still the cat's meow. in other words, it will never end...but i digress, it's better than nothing, but you and only you have to please yourself first...personally, i can't see why bryston,being the company that they are, which is rather conservative, would roll out a product line just for the heck of it.

hi, Dave!

first: welcome back! second: well said :thumb:

al.

vegasdave

« Reply #653 on: 25 May 2016, 04:47 am »
hi, Dave!

first: welcome back! second: well said :thumb:

al.

thanks to everything!

Rod_S

« Reply #654 on: 25 May 2016, 02:52 pm »
...personally, i can't see why bryston,being the company that they are, which is rather conservative, would roll out a product line just for the heck of it.

Not that they (Bryston) would ever do that in my mind but if we are broadening that thought across manufacturers in general here are some thoughts. For example an amp like the SST2 has been around, what 7 years???, so after a while it becomes harder for a dealer to sell an "old" amp to a customer who knows the amp has been around for a long time and prefers to wait for the next best thing or simply look across the showroom floor to a recently released amp from the competition. People's memories are short, we often forget how good the old is and simply want the new.

Another reason could simply be parts supply for a manufacturer, perhaps an older series uses components which have become harder and harder to source then a company is either forced to do a new design (i.e. new release) or make major tweaks to the current. Also new tech comes along that a company wants to utilize thus this facilitates a new design because the old can't be modified to accept it or a company has no desire to invest more into the older design and simply moves forward with a new model. You have to move on eventually.

techguy0192

« Reply #655 on: 26 May 2016, 12:08 am »
For example an amp like the SST2 has been around, what 7 years???

We could take that even further.  The 2B-LP was release in 1983 and is still in production!

That's one reason I like Bryston.  No flavor of the month or change for the sake of change. :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #656 on: 26 May 2016, 03:25 am »
We could take that even further.  The 2B-LP was release in 1983 and is still in production!

That's one reason I like Bryston.  No flavor of the month or change for the sake of change. :thumb:

exactly.

vegasdave

« Reply #657 on: 26 May 2016, 03:27 am »
Not that they (Bryston) would ever do that in my mind but if we are broadening that thought across manufacturers in general here are some thoughts. For example an amp like the SST2 has been around, what 7 years???, so after a while it becomes harder for a dealer to sell an "old" amp to a customer who knows the amp has been around for a long time and prefers to wait for the next best thing or simply look across the showroom floor to a recently released amp from the competition. People's memories are short, we often forget how good the old is and simply want the new.

Another reason could simply be parts supply for a manufacturer, perhaps an older series uses components which have become harder and harder to source then a company is either forced to do a new design (i.e. new release) or make major tweaks to the current. Also new tech comes along that a company wants to utilize thus this facilitates a new design because the old can't be modified to accept it or a company has no desire to invest more into the older design and simply moves forward with a new model. You have to move on eventually.

good point. food for thought. maybe james can chime in on this...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #658 on: 26 May 2016, 01:50 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peek - review of the Bryston 4B Cubed amplifier in Canada Hi-Fi Magazine:

"The new Bryston Cubed Series amplifiers are an evolution of the company's SST2 design; however, rather than an evolutionary step, I’d call this one more of a leap."

Full review coming June 1st.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #659 on: 26 May 2016, 02:27 pm »
Another nice pic of the Bryston Cubed - 14B, 4B and 2.5B  :thumb: