Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

Rod_S

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #500 on: 5 Apr 2016, 05:36 pm »
In case you'd like to compare the BDA-3 with Esoteric's product, I think you'd have to pick the D-07x, which is a D/A Converter like the BDA-3. D-07x's price should be around 5.000$

I believe they both use the same chip, the 05 and 07, the 07 would be closer in price to the BDA3 though.

Sorry, I started mixing up devices. I didn't pick up on the fact that you stated the D-07x (DAC only) not the K-07X. The D-07X although strictly just a DAC like the BDA-3 does not have the similar chip as the BDA-3 and K-05X/K-07X.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #501 on: 5 Apr 2016, 07:54 pm »
Just to bring it back on topic...  :D

...I had confirmation of my 7B3 order today, so hope to be able to give them a thorough listen in early May.

I'd be happy to then post a review provided that a) it would be of interest to folks and b) it doesn't break any Forum rules...

Very excited to be *finally* introducing some Bryston Amplification after I've enjoyed their Digital gear for many years.

Happy days !  :D

Ian

audio.bill

« Reply #502 on: 5 Apr 2016, 09:04 pm »
Ian - Congratulations on ordering the 7B Cubed amps! I believe you will be one of the first here to get them, and I would appreciate getting your comments on their performance in time. Enjoy!  :thumb:

Grant Hill

« Reply #503 on: 5 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm »
Just to bring it back on topic...  :D

...I had confirmation of my 7B3 order today, so hope to be able to give them a thorough listen in early May.

I'd be happy to then post a review provided that a) it would be of interest to folks and b) it doesn't break any Forum rules...

Very excited to be *finally* introducing some Bryston Amplification after I've enjoyed their Digital gear for many years.

Happy days !  :D

Ian

Congrats!

Please post your comments  :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #504 on: 6 Apr 2016, 06:43 am »
Hi Alex

No I do not think it can be as it is a slightly different design - I will ask.

james

...have you been able to find out, James?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #505 on: 6 Apr 2016, 08:27 am »

...have you been able to find out, James?

al.

Hi Al

No the 875 will not have a Cubed version.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #506 on: 8 Apr 2016, 06:54 pm »
Hi Al

No the 875 will not have a Cubed version.

james

James, just to make sure...has the 875 ever been a SST or SST² version???? if not then what type of design is it in reality?

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #507 on: 8 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm »
James, just to make sure...has the 875 ever been a SST or SST² version???? if not then what type of design is it in reality?

thanks,

al.

It was based on SST2

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #508 on: 9 Apr 2016, 05:41 pm »
Here's a tricky question for those in the know...

I can afford either a pair of new SST3 7's or a pair of ex-demo 28 SST2's.

Pre-amp is an SP3 and speakers are Vandersteen Quatros, the ones with the built-in 300W active subwoofers.

I've been using a Theta Dreadnaught for about a decade, but am about to move to a bigger place and think that upgrading to Bryston monoblocks will improve the soundstage, separation and noise floor.

As the speakers are partially active, it may be unnecessary to have the 1k of power of the 28's, but all of the reviews I've read suggest they also have detail and delicacy to rival Tubes...

...but what I don't know is whether the new 7's will match or even surpass that.

Thoughts anyone ?

Ian

Ian - good choice on the new 7Cubes over an older set of 28's. 
looking forward to read your observations.  congrats!
TJ

TJ-Sully

« Reply #509 on: 9 Apr 2016, 05:44 pm »
Hi

Honestly if we could build a better performing amplifier (if linearity of waveform is your goal)  we would.  The only way we could increase costs would be as you say to add ultimate cosmetics. That has its place but it really is not who we are. 

Our products represent state of the art performance at a price that most serious listeners can afford.  To be honest I find products that look great and perform poorly and cost ridiculous amounts of money is sadly more common than you may think. I also think these poor performing but cosmetically appealing products injure the credibility of our industry.

james

Nicely stated James. Well done Bryston!

larevoj

« Reply #510 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:22 am »
Folks, some teaser... :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #511 on: 11 Apr 2016, 04:46 am »
Nice pics :thumb:

james

planet

« Reply #512 on: 11 Apr 2016, 06:22 am »
Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison to the 4BSST2 ?  I have one and am considering upgrading to the new 4B cubed.   Wondering if it is very subtle differences or if noticeable and worth the upgrade for the sst2 owners

Sorry if this has already been mentioned
Read the review :beer:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=84322.msg1136912#msg1136912

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #513 on: 11 Apr 2016, 11:30 am »
Hi James,

I just bought 4B Cebed this afternoon at local dealer AFA ,after side by side compared with 4BSST2 noticeable improvement of the background and control.

Regards,
Jonathan

Rod_S

« Reply #514 on: 11 Apr 2016, 11:56 am »
I can't help but think after reading that review if there was that much noticeable difference the guys system must have had a very high noise floor all along given the differences between the 2 amp designs and what he is hearing now. In a system that was basically dead silent to start with that's where I'm curious as to any perceived audible differences between the 2 designs.

James, any new details about the upgrade path?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #515 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm »
I can't help but think after reading that review if there was that much noticeable difference the guys system must have had a very high noise floor all along given the differences between the 2 amp designs and what he is hearing now. In a system that was basically dead silent to start with that's where I'm curious as to any perceived audible differences between the 2 designs.

James, any new details about the upgrade path?

We are still trying to see if we can make the upgrade without having to go through all the safety and hydro approvals - the government bureaucracy is indicating that if we make changes to existing products we have to re-summit them which means more costs and just a huge headache  :duh:

james

Rod_S

« Reply #516 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:38 pm »
Oh no...

Wow that would be a major hassle for sure. So how would that work in practice, the cost would probably me more like you allude to but would that mean the amps sent in for the upgrade would perhaps see a much longer turnaround time as well?

Rod_S

« Reply #517 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:14 pm »
If they have to be resubmitted for approvals could the 20 year warranty be reset? If not, what would prevent that from happening? Still to many components not being upgraded?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #518 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:23 pm »
Oh no...

Wow that would be a major hassle for sure. So how would that work in practice, the cost would probably me more like you allude to but would that mean the amps sent in for the upgrade would perhaps see a much longer turnaround time as well?

It would be a nightmare - the cost is in the many thousands of dollars to get approvals and each and every model would have to be resubmitted. You can see why most companies simply ignore the regulations imposed. 

By the way these regulations are getting more and more strict and honestly there is more paper work and time spent now to get clearances than it takes to design a new product.  Small companies starting out do not have a chance and if they ignore the regulations and get caught they are restricted from selling product into that country.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #519 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:24 pm »
If they have to be resubmitted for approvals could the 20 year warranty be reset? If not, what would prevent that from happening? Still to many components not being upgraded?

Hi

No the 20 year warranty could not be reset as not all the parts are replaced.

james