Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

TJ-Sully

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #460 on: 27 Mar 2016, 05:26 am »
Here's a tricky question for those in the know...

I can afford either a pair of new SST3 7's or a pair of ex-demo 28 SST2's.

Pre-amp is an SP3 and speakers are Vandersteen Quatros, the ones with the built-in 300W active subwoofers.

I've been using a Theta Dreadnaught for about a decade, but am about to move to a bigger place and think that upgrading to Bryston monoblocks will improve the soundstage, separation and noise floor.

As the speakers are partially active, it may be unnecessary to have the 1k of power of the 28's, but all of the reviews I've read suggest they also have detail and delicacy to rival Tubes...

...but what I don't know is whether the new 7's will match or even surpass that.

Thoughts anyone ?

Ian

hi Wilson, All I can say is you are in one hellava envious position.
For what it's worth, I'd say go with the 7 Cubes and take advantage of the new technology. best of luck.
TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #461 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:08 am »
So James,
It will be a go with the upgrade 2 to cubed :D..
I'm curious as I have your 28's from a awhile back and when I wanted to upgrade the transformers we couldn't as the chassis was a bit different but the new caps were,Have the 60a Torus backin them up anyway :lol:.
My Q is since it's a few electrical parts do you think it's doable,THX.

Hi Drummer

I think so because it is not a transformer change just a completely new backboard and soft-start circuit and a few small circuit parts.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #462 on: 27 Mar 2016, 02:40 pm »
Here's a tricky question for those in the know...

I can afford either a pair of new SST3 7's or a pair of ex-demo 28 SST2's.

Pre-amp is an SP3 and speakers are Vandersteen Quatros, the ones with the built-in 300W active subwoofers.

I've been using a Theta Dreadnaught for about a decade, but am about to move to a bigger place and think that upgrading to Bryston monoblocks will improve the soundstage, separation and noise floor.

As the speakers are partially active, it may be unnecessary to have the 1k of power of the 28's, but all of the reviews I've read suggest they also have detail and delicacy to rival Tubes...

...but what I don't know is whether the new 7's will match or even surpass that.

Thoughts anyone ?

Ian

Ian,

No such thing as too much power. Go with the max.
Do the 28's. It's Bryston's flagship with oodles of wattage.

Good luck.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #463 on: 27 Mar 2016, 02:42 pm »
Hi Drummer

I think so because it is not a transformer change just a completely new backboard and soft-start circuit and a few small circuit parts.

james

Hi james,

Are these changes substantive enough to improve the SQ?

pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #464 on: 27 Mar 2016, 03:47 pm »
Hi james,

Are these changes substantive enough to improve the SQ?

pete

i hope so -  :lol:

james

Rod_S

« Reply #465 on: 29 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm »
Curious, why was the selectable gain option removed from the 28 but remained on all the other models?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #466 on: 29 Mar 2016, 03:47 pm »
Curious, why was the selectable gain option removed from the 28 but remained on all the other models?

The 28B based on power rating the gain switch is not required because there are very few sources that can supply enough amplitude at the lower gain setting to drive to full power.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #467 on: 29 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
Thanks

The website was confusing because it states it has selectable gain at 23 or 29dB but then goes on to only list the -29dB. That's what prompted me to lookup the manual where I noticed there was no switch or mention of one on the back panel. So is it now locked at -29?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #468 on: 29 Mar 2016, 04:28 pm »
Thanks

The website was confusing because it states it has selectable gain at 23 or 29dB but then goes on to only list the -29dB. That's what prompted me to lookup the manual where I noticed there was no switch or mention of one on the back panel. So is it now locked at -29?

Yes locked at 29.

james

dallyd31

« Reply #469 on: 31 Mar 2016, 04:42 pm »
Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison to the 4BSST2 ?  I have one and am considering upgrading to the new 4B cubed.   Wondering if it is very subtle differences or if noticeable and worth the upgrade for the sst2 owners

Sorry if this has already been mentioned

Marius

« Reply #470 on: 1 Apr 2016, 07:29 am »
+1.

No experience with tubes, but auditioned all SST2's on my Quad ESL's. 28b's came out as clear winners. Maybe because of the pure Class A and not playing extremely loud all the time, i wouldn't know. Only trusted my ears, and never regretted. Of course they are quite effortless and hassle free when playing loud ;-)
Need some pockets though...

Cheers, Marius

Ian,

No such thing as too much power. Go with the max.
Do the 28's. It's Bryston's flagship with oodles of wattage.

Good luck.

Rod_S

« Reply #471 on: 3 Apr 2016, 01:25 pm »
Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison to the 4BSST2 ?  I have one and am considering upgrading to the new 4B cubed.   Wondering if it is very subtle differences or if noticeable and worth the upgrade for the sst2 owners

Sorry if this has already been mentioned

No personal costumer reports yet that I have come across on any forums. I've seen a few dealer and distributer reports that James has posted. I know a lot of us SST2 owners are very curious about this. I have no doubt the new series performs better when subject to instrumentation testing however the main thing we all want to know is this improvement audible and if so is it obvious and readily apparent regardless of situation or more subtle and only noticeable under specific circumstances.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #472 on: 3 Apr 2016, 02:01 pm »
No personal customer reports yet that I have come across on any forums. I've seen a few dealer and distributer reports that James has posted. I know a lot of us SST2 owners are very curious about this. I have no doubt the new series performs better when subject to instrumentation testing however the main thing we all want to know is this improvement audible and if so is it obvious and readily apparent regardless of situation or more subtle and only noticeable under specific circumstances.

I agree Rod - I can't find any either !

James - are you aware of any reviews in the pipeline ?

Ian

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #473 on: 3 Apr 2016, 02:44 pm »
I agree Rod - I can't find any either !

James - are you aware of any reviews in the pipeline ?

Ian

Hi

No reviews on old vs new. I can say that every dealer who has called or emailed me are expressing that the Cubed versions are a substantial improvement.

James

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #474 on: 3 Apr 2016, 04:16 pm »
May take a while before buyers' opinions surface on threads.

I always take dealers with a big grain of salt -- they do want to sell them, after all.

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #475 on: 3 Apr 2016, 10:09 pm »
Hi all, new AC member here.  After reading through this thread, I ordered a 4B3 on Friday of last week.  I am eager to experience Bryston's legendary sound and build quality!

The 4B3 will drive my Magnepan MG .7's, and I will feed the 4B3 from a Classe' CP-500 preamp.  My JL Audio e-110 subwoofer will operate between the Classe' and 4B3, with the subwoofer's built-in active crossover set to maximize the interaction between the sub, the Maggies and the listening room.

I look forward to participating in this thread, along with AC generally.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #476 on: 3 Apr 2016, 10:27 pm »
Hi all, new AC member here.  After reading through this thread, I ordered a 4B3 on Friday of last week.  I am eager to experience Bryston's legendary sound and build quality!

The 4B3 will drive my Magnepan MG .7's, and I will feed the 4B3 from a Classe' CP-500 preamp.  My JL Audio e-110 subwoofer will operate between the Classe' and 4B3, with the subwoofer's built-in active crossover set to maximize the interaction between the sub, the Maggies and the listening room.

I look forward to participating in this thread, along with AC generally.

Welcome  :thumb:

James

Robert212

« Reply #477 on: 3 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm »

The 4B3 will drive my Magnepan MG .7's, and I will feed the 4B3 from a Classe' CP-500 preamp.

4B3 should be a good match for your MG .7's.  I've been using a 4BSST, originally driving MG 1.6's and now MG 1.7's.  My Preamp is a BAT VK30 and my sources are an OPPO 105 and a Rega RP6 through a Rega Fono Phono Preamp. 

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #478 on: 4 Apr 2016, 06:36 am »
May take a while before buyers' opinions surface on threads.

I always take dealers with a big grain of salt -- they do want to sell them, after all.

True, but I don' see any point in telling the VP of sales that you think there's a substantial improvement. They can't really sell one TO James. :)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #479 on: 4 Apr 2016, 09:25 am »
True, but I don' see any point in telling the VP of sales that you think there's a substantial improvement. They can't really sell one TO James. :)

Agree. They can still give some useful constructive feedback about perceived flaws, for future development and refinement. Sort of a more balanced assessment.   :thumb: