Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #380 on: 28 Feb 2016, 12:15 pm »
The truth is that we haven't seen many screenshots of these amps or hear them in real time so I could be wrong.

Hi Jimmy

They do look better in person but I assume some will like the new look and some will not - I really like the the 2.5 Cubed look personally and I prefer the new 19 inch with handles to the 17 inch with no handles.  I have been outvoted at Bryston on my preference so far. LOL.

james

Dloines

« Reply #381 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:31 pm »
for all of you that buy a sst3 and just cant stand the looks, please send my way, I will even pay for the shipping.  Funny, I never even give the looks of audio equipment a second thought, 100% sound is what I focus on, you could sell me a pink hammer if it drives nails with one hit :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #382 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:59 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Dealer Feedback – New Cubed Amplifiers

February 2016

Hi James,

I'm loving the way the new Cubed amplifiers looks, I think it's a nice change.

Although I still have not had time to go back to 7B squared's, will do that today.

The new 4B Cubed sounds more delicate, open, airy and transparent than how I remember the SST2's sounded.

In terms of tonal balance (very neutral), bass control and low noise I'm not sure if there are any improvements but I don't think the previous Bryston amps needed any improvements in those departments anyways.

I'm using the 4B with some uber high-end gear from CH Precision and Tenor and have it driving the Magico S7's and it certainly is feeling right at home with its accompanying components that are priced at 10x the new 4B cubed.

I'll give you some more details once I go back to the 7B squared's.

Mark.

SoundGame

« Reply #383 on: 28 Feb 2016, 02:44 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the Cubed in person in Montreal for Son and Image, Mid-march

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #384 on: 28 Feb 2016, 03:39 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the Cubed in person in Montreal for Son and Image, Mid-march

Hi

It will vary a little from model to model depending on what the cost accountants tell us.

James

Rod_S

« Reply #385 on: 28 Feb 2016, 03:53 pm »
Are the 28's ready to roll yet or still stuck waiting on all the certifications :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #386 on: 28 Feb 2016, 04:27 pm »
Are the 28's ready to roll yet or still stuck waiting on all the certifications :)

Still stuck - we are assuming another month.

James

Rod_S

« Reply #387 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:29 pm »
Wow, did you guys make the 28's even more powerful or something. Seems odd that just this amp is getting held up.

Robert212

« Reply #388 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:30 pm »
You could always just get a SST2 on the used market if you don't like the cubed faceplate :) plus save a bit of money. The SST2 would be two generations from your SST if yours isn't a C Series because it's my understanding that there were some updates with the C Series SST's.

I liked the faceplate on the 4B SST2 better than the one on my SST and better than the new one. 

There's nothing wrong with my SST -- the build quality was phenomenal.  It still runs like a champ and sounds great.  The challenge will be to determine whether the cubed will sound better in my system; which may be hard to do outside my system and room. 

The sound will trump the appearance every time, so if the cubed is better than the SST2, a used SST2 won't suffice; but it's always nice when a product looks as good as it sounds. 

Rod_S

« Reply #389 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:35 pm »
I don't understand why don't people make plain faceplates,it is the name of the brand that makes it look beautiful to me.

Bryston has always had a understated look to begin with, I guess the new square bit sticks out figuratively more than the old C Series plus it no longer matches the other products looks so that might be one of the reasons for the criticisms.

It does look odd though in photos but may look better in person.

It would have been nice since they redesigned things if they followed say Pass Labs or Dan D'Agostino and installed meters with nice back lighting. Those two designs in particular are quite elegant not like the McIntosh meters which are akin to a spoiled child crying out for attention :)

Rod_S

« Reply #390 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:38 pm »
I liked the faceplate on the 4B SST2 better than the one on my SST and better than the new one. 

There's nothing wrong with my SST -- the build quality was phenomenal.  It still runs like a champ and sounds great.  The challenge will be to determine whether the cubed will sound better in my system; which may be hard to do outside my system and room. 

The sound will trump the appearance every time, so if the cubed is better than the SST2, a used SST2 won't suffice; but it's always nice when a product looks as good as it sounds.

Another option would be to sell your SST and get a used SST2 and send it in for the cubed upgrades. The prices aren't set yet but it might still be less expensive to go that route vs a new cubed. Also it remains to be seen if the upgrades to the SST2s will equal the cubes audibly or will there still be an audible gap since not every component is getting upgraded. Time will tell I guess.

Robert212

« Reply #391 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:43 pm »
Another option would be to sell your SST and get a used SST2 and send it in for the cubed upgrades. The prices aren't set yet but it might still be less expensive to go that route vs a new cubed. Also it remains to be seen if the upgrades to the SST2s will equal the cubes audibly or will there still be an audible gap since not every component is getting upgraded. Time will tell I guess.

It's a thought but I'd be inclined to go new, with a new 20 year warranty.  Of course, I'd have to decide whether to stay with the 4Bm, go with the 7B or perhaps two bridged 4B's?

G E

« Reply #392 on: 28 Feb 2016, 06:43 pm »
It's a thought but I'd be inclined to go new, with a new 20 year warranty.  Of course, I'd have to decide whether to stay with the 4Bm, go with the 7B or perhaps two bridged 4B's?

A while back I asked James if two bridged 4bsst2's were equivalent to a pair of sevens. He  said the sevens would be a better choice but I don't recollect exactly why. But that was his thinking and I'm inclined to take his word on it.

Robert212

« Reply #393 on: 28 Feb 2016, 06:46 pm »
A while back I asked James if two bridged 4bsst2's were equivalent to a pair of sevens. He  said the sevens would be a better choice but I don't recollect exactly why. But that was his thinking and I'm inclined to take his word on it.

That wouldn't surprise me but it would be interesting to know why.  Two 4B's would be more flexible, possible easier to sell when the time came.

srb

« Reply #394 on: 28 Feb 2016, 07:05 pm »
A while back I asked James if two bridged 4bsst2's were equivalent to a pair of sevens. He  said the sevens would be a better choice but I don't recollect exactly why.

The 7BSSTx are rated for 4 ohms and below, whereas a bridged 4BSSTx would see half the impedance, so 4 ohm (and below) speakers may present too difficult a load as they would be seen as a 2 ohm (and below) load to the bridged 4BSSTx.

Steve

Robert212

« Reply #395 on: 28 Feb 2016, 07:44 pm »
The 7BSSTx are rated for 4 ohms and below, whereas a bridged 4BSSTx would see half the impedance, so 4 ohm (and below) speakers may present too difficult a load as they would be seen as a 2 ohm (and below) load to the bridged 4BSSTx.

Steve

Good point.  A bridged 4B delivers 900 Watts into 8 ohms.  A 7B delivers 900 Watts into 4 ohms.

audio.bill

« Reply #396 on: 29 Feb 2016, 01:42 am »
Bryston has added the Cubed amplifier pages to their website. You can see them listed individually under Power Amps/Cubed Amps, and here's a direct link the the 7B Cubed for your reference.  http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/7B-3.html There are some nice pictures included.

techguy0192

« Reply #397 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:09 am »
Very cool to see this update on the Bryston website.

I see the advertised Power Bandwidth: .5Hz - > 100kHz.  Are the cubed amps capable of full power output even at the extreme ends of that spectrum?

srb

« Reply #398 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:16 am »
I see the advertised Power Bandwidth: .5Hz - > 100kHz.  Are the cubed amps capable of full power output even at the extreme ends of that spectrum?

Unless it's stated as "full-power bandwidth", "power bandwidth" generally refers to the frequency range in which the amplifier can maintain half of its rated power (-3dB).

Steve

Rod_S

« Reply #399 on: 29 Feb 2016, 11:05 am »
I just checked out the manuals for the new 7 and 28 and noticed something interesting with respect to idle power consumption and heat dissipation. These specs were the same for both amps in the SST2 series.

For the 7 the idle power consumption has dropped substantially from 215 watts (the SST2 series) to <= 80 and the heat dissipation went from 733 BTU/hr to <= 270.

On the other hand the specs for the 28 have gone up a bit, <= 225 watts and <=768 BTU/hr.

So this led me to check out the 4. This ended up being hybrid of sorts, the power went down from 170 watts to <=70 but the heat dissipation remained the same at 580.

James is there any particular reason why some amps seem to have become more power efficient while others have not? What are these changes properties of, the new input circuity or changes to the power supply and/or transformers?

Just curious how these figures would be affected for people who do the SST2 upgrade. If it's input stage related users would see these changes but I guess if power supply and/or transformer related these changes wouldn't be seen on the upgraded units.

Thanks