Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

Rod_S

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #360 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:29 pm »
Hi Rod

Both were considered but on the first not all customers have the proper jack so we felt bare wire is easy for anyone to implement and once you attach the bare wire you can easily connect or disconnect the trigger wire. You can also easily parallel wires easily by doubling or tripling up the wires in the same connection.

We could have added the second set but it would have made the upgrade path from SST2 to Cubed a bit more difficult according to engineering.

James

Thanks James

I wasn't aware you could double and triple up on wire to each terminal so I suppose that could prove handy. I know I personally have had nothing but a hateful relationship with these triggers over the years because whenever it comes to having to reconnect, the amps are always in the rack (or another position) with little room to maneuver behind them leaving me struggling to get the wires in and screwed down. Many times I've wanted to rip the amp from the rack, etc. and drop kick it off the balcony in frustration :) The jack designs are simply plug n' play.

As for the binding posts on the 7's, yeah I see where that would have been a bit more complicated. You mentioned the SST2 back panels are being replaced anyways during the upgrades so I guess that wouldn't be the issue, that would come in when wiring up to the extra set from the SST2's existing desgin components. To bad though it wasn't being offered an an option for an additional charge, both as an option for new 7B3 and for upgrading the SST2's

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #361 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:46 pm »
Yes but remember the 12 volt connection can be done by removing the male green connector on the rear panel inserting the 2 wires and plugging it back in. So after the initial connection it is plug and play.

James

Rod_S

« Reply #362 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:58 pm »
Yes but remember the 12 volt connection can be done by removing the male green connector on the rear panel inserting the 2 wires and plugging it back in. So after the initial connection it is plug and play.

James

hmm, I'm completely drawing a blank here, I just can't visualize what you are saying but I get the impression it will save a whole lot of hassle in the future. Is there a video somewhere I could view so I can see what you describe? I'm very intrigued now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #363 on: 26 Feb 2016, 02:16 pm »
hmm, I'm completely drawing a blank here, I just can't visualize what you are saying but I get the impression it will save a whole lot of hassle in the future. Is there a video somewhere I could view so I can see what you describe? I'm very intrigued now.

Sorry I do not have a video but the green trigger on the rear of the amps are made up of 2 parts - a male part and a female part.

So you remove the male part - attach the 2 wires and plug the male part back into the female part that is on the rear of the amplifier and attached to the chassis.  So once you have put the wires in the male connector from that point on the connectors are easily connected and disconnected if needed.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #364 on: 26 Feb 2016, 02:34 pm »
Sorry I do not have a video but the green trigger on the rear of the amps are made up of 2 parts - a male part and a female part.

So you remove the male part - attach the 2 wires and plug the male part back into the female part that is on the rear of the amplifier and attached to the chassis.  So once you have put the wires in the male connector from that point on the connectors are easily connected and disconnected if needed.

james

Thanks, I don't ever recall seeing any colors on the triggers but as you say there is. I'll examine closely after work because I currenly have two 7's and a 4 sitting in the middle of the room awaiting to be installed so it'll actually be easy for me to access the rear panels.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #365 on: 26 Feb 2016, 03:54 pm »
My mistake - on the new 14B Cubed they have turned Gray:

james

Rod_S

« Reply #366 on: 26 Feb 2016, 04:41 pm »
Thanks, so the male part, I assume that's the part that sticks out on all the amps? Are the screws to clamp down on the wire part of the detachable male piece or part of the fixed female piece. How much force does it take to detach and do I pull straight back?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #367 on: 26 Feb 2016, 04:46 pm »
Thanks, so the male part, I assume that's the part that sticks out on all the amps? Are the screws to clamp down on the wire part of the detachable male piece or part of the fixed female piece. How much force does it take to detach and do I pull straight back?

Correct

1ZIP

« Reply #368 on: 26 Feb 2016, 08:14 pm »
James;
A little off topic, but what is the turn around time for a 4B cubed, i.e., order date to ship date?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #369 on: 26 Feb 2016, 08:20 pm »
James;
A little off topic, but what is the turn around time for a 4B cubed, i.e., order date to ship date?

We are backordered over 100 units so any new order I would say 4-6 weeks depending on size and colour.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #370 on: 26 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm »
how about the 2.5 in silver cubed are those backed up?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #371 on: 26 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm »
how about the 2.5 in silver cubed are those backed up?

I would say 2 weeks

James

Rod_S

« Reply #372 on: 27 Feb 2016, 02:08 am »
My mistake - on the new 14B Cubed they have turned Gray:

james

OK, I see how they work now, gosh, I wish I knew about this over the past 10 years of owning the amps :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #373 on: 27 Feb 2016, 06:17 pm »
Hi James

The cubed amps sounding great here at the Sound & Vision Show, Bristol

Keith Tonge
PMC

Robert212

« Reply #374 on: 27 Feb 2016, 11:43 pm »
I was thinking about updating from my 4B SST to a 4B SST3 -- but it's got a faceplate only its mother could love.  I can't wait to audition one in person but if it sounds good it's going to have to go in a cabinet, out of sight. 

Rod_S

« Reply #375 on: 27 Feb 2016, 11:55 pm »
I was thinking about updating from my 4B SST to a 4B SST3 -- but it's got a faceplate only its mother could love.  I can't wait to audition one in person but if it sounds good it's going to have to go in a cabinet, out of sight.

You could always just get a SST2 on the used market if you don't like the cubed faceplate :) plus save a bit of money. The SST2 would be two generations from your SST if yours isn't a C Series because it's my understanding that there were some updates with the C Series SST's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #376 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:13 am »
Dear James

The setup at the Bristol Show was:

PMC BB5se Speakers
Bryston 7B Cubed x2
BDP2 Digital Player
BDA3 DAC
BP26 Preamp

And the Twenty Series speakers with the 4B Cubed

Won best sound of the show!

Keith Tonge
PMC

Jimmy71

« Reply #377 on: 28 Feb 2016, 07:09 am »
I don't understand why don't people make plain faceplates,it is the name of the brand that makes it look beautiful to me.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #378 on: 28 Feb 2016, 11:38 am »
I don't understand why don't people make plain faceplates,it is the name of the brand that makes it look beautiful to me.

Hi Jimmy71

Eye of the beholder I guess - LOL -  :icon_lol:

Zero's

Re:
Bryston announcing SST3 series amps

Those new amps look fantastic!

Jimmy71

« Reply #379 on: 28 Feb 2016, 11:58 am »
Hi Jimmy71

Eye of the beholder I guess - LOL -  :icon_lol:

Zero's

Re:
Bryston announcing SST3 series amps

Those new amps look fantastic!

The truth is that we haven't seen many screenshots of these amps or hear them in real time so I could be wrong.