Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

loopyground

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #300 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:13 pm »
James do you think we can get a picture with the top off of the 4b3?
Thank you
Hi Jimmy71:  I had this problem once on a balanced cable and I'll bet you are using a balanced cable where one signal wire has come apart so you are in effect getting 50% of the total signal.  Either try another pair of balanced cables or use unbalanced and I think you will find everything comes back to normal.  In my case I had to return the defective new cable back to the USA  :green: for replacement.
Hope this helps.
Roger

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #301 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:16 pm »
Thats great to know. I can keep the aftermarket fuse in!  :thumb:

James, while typing the above line I was turning on my system and playing some music.

Then I realized my 4BSST2 right channel is a little more then half as loud as my left speaker or terribly soft :duh: I thought my speakers was doing that but when I switch the speakers cable from left to right channel the same issue goes to the left speaker. So I tried switching channels on my preamp and source as well - they are all good.

What could go wrong?? I should have started a new thread...been bending over and switching cables for the last 2 hours figuring this out wears me out...  :sad:

PLEASE HELP

Maybe the amp is getting home sick and can't wait to go back to Ontario, Canada!~

Sounds like it might be the cable - if its a balanced cable and becomes unbalanced due to poor connection it would drop in level by 6dB

james

SoundGame

« Reply #302 on: 17 Feb 2016, 05:20 pm »
Any images of any of the updated faceplates for the BDP, BDA, BP etc. that are being done to match them to the new Cubed amps?

Was anything shown in Vegas of updated faceplates for the non-amp components? 

Thanks!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #303 on: 17 Feb 2016, 05:28 pm »
Thank you
  That's what I was hoping for in my earlier post....I always like to see the arrangement of parts...makes me feel like I know the component better :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #304 on: 17 Feb 2016, 05:48 pm »
Any images of any of the updated faceplates for the BDP, BDA, BP etc. that are being done to match them to the new Cubed amps?

Was anything shown in Vegas of updated faceplates for the non-amp components? 

Thanks!

Hi

No the other products are not changing cosmetics.

james

Dpaulyn

« Reply #305 on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:00 pm »
larevoj - at the risk of stating the obvious - are the amplifier gain settings matched for both channels?  Are they both set to either 29db or 23db. I had the same problem driving me crazy until I realized that I had inadvertently switched one of the channels to 23db, while the other channel remained on 29db.

srb

« Reply #306 on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:22 pm »
No the other products are not changing cosmetics.

Although I assume that the same aluminum is used for the faceplates in the SST3 amps as in the other unchanged components, does the new bead-blasted finish vs. the older brushed finish have any apparent color difference as the light strikes a different surface ?

Could you show a photo of an SST3 amp with a BDA, BDP, etc. stacked so that we can see how they might match up?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #307 on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:24 pm »
Although I assume that the same aluminum is used for the faceplates in the SST3 amps as in the other unchanged components, does the new bead-blasted finish vs. the older brushed finish have any apparent color difference as the light strikes a different surface ?

Could you show a photo of an SST3 amp with a BDA, BDP, etc. stacked so that we can see how they might match up?

Steve

Hi Steve

The new beaded finish looks much softer than the standard finish on the preamps etc.

james

Robert D

« Reply #308 on: 17 Feb 2016, 11:32 pm »
Thank you

Jimmy ...I had the same Problem ..To the Tea
1st Check your XLR cables Make sure they are all Tight ..... all of them ..if you have a BPD,BCD,BDA Tight
2nd Check your Speaker Cables ... they Must be Tight .... right to your amplifiers or amplifier
3rd make Sure all connections are solid ... no movement at all .

3rdA  My System is Balanced from head to Toe ....
4th My problem was My Banana connectors connecting to my RIGHT Speaker and my right 4bsst2 were loose ouch......
5th BP26 Make sure All Connection are Solid .. . no movement at all .

Robert

larevoj

« Reply #309 on: 18 Feb 2016, 11:54 am »
Guys, here is what I did.

Check all cables connection XLR and Speakers cables
- polarity
- physical connectivity
- continuity using ohm meter

Switches behind 4BSST2
- Balanced Input
- 23dB
- Individual Mode

Preamp XLR out
- switch from amplifier to headphone amplifier and no issue

Source CDP XLR out
- switch from preamp to headphone amplifier and no issue

Connect speakers to respective left and right channel
- the issue is presenting itself on the right speaker

Switch speakers cables from left channel to right
- the issue is presenting itself on the left speaker

Finally I loan a ARC Ref75SE amplifier and connect all wires in - no issue
- this confirms the issue is at the amplifier right channel

Connect all wires back to the 4BSST2 the issue came back on the right channel.
Tried the following unorthodox methods out of desperation...

Switched from Individual Mode to Bridged
- Both speakers have equal level of loudness and balanced but each speaker sound like mono and softer

After a couple of mins I switched from Bridged and back to Individual Mode
- Both speakers are balanced, EQUALLY loud and in STEREO!

After 30 seconds
- The same issue actually happened live and you can hear the loudness travelled from right to left leaving the right speakers softer and cracking a little
- Suddenly the loudness goes back to the right speakers and have been playing with equal loudness for the last 30 mins!

I am not sure how long this will last but I am certain there is something not quite right with the amplifier but just not sure what it was. I will leave it playing for a while longer but I am not sure if it will harm my speakers.

Any thoughts???

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #310 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:04 pm »
It sounds like a faulty or dirty switch.  Turn the amplifier off and quickly activate the switch back and forth a few times and see if that corrects the issue.  If not please email Mile at Bryston and see if he can help.  mpickett@bryston,com

james

larevoj

« Reply #311 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:18 pm »
It sounds like a faulty or dirty switch.  Turn the amplifier off and quickly activate the switch back and forth a few times and see if that corrects the issue.  If not please email Mile at Bryston and see if he can help.  mpickett@bryston,com

james

Thanks James, will give it a go later if the issue come back again.

larevoj

« Reply #312 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:00 pm »

james

Hi James, just a quick update. Issue came back again and I did exactly what you suggested and goes away. Its likely a switch issue. Will e-mail Mike. Cheers.

Robert D

« Reply #313 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:42 pm »

james

James, do you suggest as well that the main back switch is is turned on an off periodically, like the rest of the switches on the back of the Amps.
Mike Pickett never mentioned to me to turn off the main switch . Only all the others.

Let me know your thoughts.
Regards Robert

Robert D

« Reply #314 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:43 pm »
James, do you suggest as well that the main back switch is is turned on an off periodically, like the rest of the switches on the back of the Amps.
Mike Pickett never mentioned to me to turn off the main switch . Only all the others.

Let me know your thoughts.
Regards Robert

If it helps with the performance of the Amp all the better

Robert

SoundGame

« Reply #315 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:12 pm »
Hi James,

I need to ask why there is no plan to update all the faceplates in the models to that of the new Cubed Series?  Having a noticeably different finish (especially when it comes to silver) between the Cubed series amps and the other components in the Bryston stable (BDP, BDA, BP, SP3 etc. ) will surely be unsettling to those who intend to build a rack of more than one of the latest Bryston components.

Will clients be able to "special order" their other non-cubed Bryston components with the bead-blasted finish to match their Cubed amps?  Is there a plan to implement the new finish on the other components when remaining stock-piles of unused "current" faceplates are exhausted. 

Buying a full-rack of Bryston components for a new system is a very substantial expenditure and I'm sure that many clients looking to make such a purchase will expect that there will be a consistency of look, feel and finish across the components.  Is there any plan to meet the requests for both clients and dealers looking for a consistent finish on their "new" and "latest" Bryston stack?

Thanks.

Rod_S

« Reply #316 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:41 pm »
Hi James,

I need to ask why there is no plan to update all the faceplates in the models to that of the new Cubed Series?  Having a noticeably different finish (especially when it comes to silver) between the Cubed series amps and the other components in the Bryston stable (BDP, BDA, BP, SP3 etc. ) will surely be unsettling to those who intend to build a rack of more than one of the latest Bryston components.

Will clients be able to "special order" their other non-cubed Bryston components with the bead-blasted finish to match their Cubed amps?  Is there a plan to implement the new finish on the other components when remaining stock-piles of unused "current" faceplates are exhausted. 

Buying a full-rack of Bryston components for a new system is a very substantial expenditure and I'm sure that many clients looking to make such a purchase will expect that there will be a consistency of look, feel and finish across the components.  Is there any plan to meet the requests for both clients and dealers looking for a consistent finish on their "new" and "latest" Bryston stack?

Thanks.

Very good question, there was recently a big change in the BIT faceplate looks and you can no longer order the old look but I'm not sure about the color, it might still match. The BIT new faceplates don't really match with anything cosmetically.

servingko

« Reply #317 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:42 pm »
James,

Is there any kind of coating on the silver bead blasted surface?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #318 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:44 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks.

Yes we are waiting to see if customers like the new silver finish and if they do and want to order a system with the new silver finish we will certainly try to accommodate them. If it is preferred then we will probably switch over to the new silver on everything.  Remember too that a lot of our customers want to match the older finishes amps they already own with our new DAC's and BDP's etc.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #319 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:45 pm »
James,

Is there any kind of coating on the silver bead blasted surface?

Yes there is a finish.

james