Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #240 on: 1 Feb 2016, 07:07 pm »
Hi

Yes good observation. The new Silver is what they call "bead blasted".

James
  I assume the black versions are the same brushed finish ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #241 on: 1 Feb 2016, 07:11 pm »
  I assume the black versions are the same brushed finish ?

Correct.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #242 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:38 pm »
So with that report that you referred to about measuring the "perfect" amp, since it was just the 14 they measured, I assume they didn't measure the rest of the amps? Would it be safe to say that the others, if not all say the 7 and 28 at least would measure the same?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #243 on: 1 Feb 2016, 10:31 pm »
So with that report that you referred to about measuring the "perfect" amp, since it was just the 14 they measured, I assume they didn't measure the rest of the amps? Would it be safe to say that the others, if not all say the 7 and 28 at least would measure the same?

Correct - there is no 'better/best' with Bryston

james

1ZIP

« Reply #244 on: 1 Feb 2016, 11:50 pm »
It looks like the price increases will vary from 5% to 10% on the DACs and BDP's and Preamps etc. and 10-12% on the new Cubed amps depending on model.  Should finally have prices Monday.

james

.....and they are?

Marius

« Reply #245 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:22 pm »
Hi James,

Looking great, but:
Are purported? Seems hardly a definitive audition nor test to handout the Best-of-CES-award  :scratch:

Is this based on Bryston's announcements only, or did some serious testing take place. The noisy CES seems hardly the place to audition the reduced noise capabilities of the Cubed series ;)  Let alone compare them to the already magnificent lineup of the SST2 series i would think.
Ah well, never mind.

Cheers,
Marius

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Best of CES 2016 – Bryston Cubed Amplifiers

February 2016

Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) stereo amplifier[size=78%]
[/size]“For me, the most important electronics introduced at CES 2016 were Bryston’s new Cubed amplifiers. [size=78%]

The 2.5B³, 3B³, and 4B³ stereo amps and 7B³, 14B³, and 28B³ monoblocks are all direct replacements of earlier, similarly named Squared models introduced eight years ago, the names of all of which end with the suffix SST2. (For this new line, Bryston has decided to ditch SST and simply close the superscript 3 up to the B³.

Bryston’s SST2 models have long been held in high regard including by SoundStage! Network writers -- each model offers exceptional sound quality at a very reasonable price, and is backed by a 20-year warranty. And Bryston has a sterling reputation for fixing everything they make, no questions asked. (I’ve run across many companies that offer long warranties, but refuse to fix a problem if they can find a way to blame the buyer for it.)

The Cubed models are purported to sound and measure even better than the Squareds, mainly because of a new, patented input stage that Bryston claims reduces the Squared models’ levels of distortion by 90%. The rejection of common-mode and EMI/RFI noise are also said to be improved. And the Cubeds’ front panels look better than the Squareds’

To me, the sweet spot of Bryston’s Squared line was the 4BSST2 stereo amp -- its power outputs of 300Wpc into 8 ohms or 500Wpc into 4 ohms are enough for most situations, and its retail price is low enough that many serious audiophiles on a budget can afford it.

For me, the 4BSST2 has always been a great benchmark to judge other amps against -- which is why, for a couple of years, my reference system included one. Now there’s the 4B³, with the same specified power outputs and the improvements noted above. Given that the new models are all basically the same as the old, I suspect that the 4B³ will remain the sweet spot in the new line.

As I write this, none of the prices for the Cubed models have been set. But if Bryston’s prices for the new series remain in line with its past products, I suspect that the 4B³ will not cost much more than the previous model -- in which case it should represent at least as good a value as its predecessor.”

Doug Schneider
das@soundstagenetwork.com

[/size]

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #246 on: 2 Feb 2016, 02:08 pm »
Hi Marius.

It's a good question but Soundstage has heard our demos many, many times in Vegas and other places and they were very impressed with what they heard with our demo in Vegas. So I think that was part of the reason as well as they have always felt our amplifiers represented the best available at affordable prices and based on the demo would expect the same from the Cubed series.

Also as you say judging things at a show is seen as difficult but everyone of the manufactures are faced with similar issues and as I have said many times "the demo is everything." The rest is rhetoric!

James

Marius

« Reply #247 on: 2 Feb 2016, 02:26 pm »
Hi James,

Guess we can shake hands with Soundstage, as we expect nothing less either! Nothing but the best from Bryston, that's why were here, at least i am.
Seemed a bit silly, to base a review (and award) on expectations though.

No less enjoyment on this side of my current 28b's..

Thanks and all the best with the Cubes.
Marius

Hi Marius.

It's a good question but Soundstage has heard our demos many, many times in Vegas and other places and they were very impressed with what they heard with our demo in Vegas. So I think that was part of the reason as well as they have always felt our amplifiers represented the best available at affordable prices and based on the demo would expect the same from the Cubed series.

Also as you say judging things at a show is seen as difficult but everyone of the manufactures are faced with similar issues and as I have said many times "the demo is everything." The rest is rhetoric!

James

Ola_S

« Reply #248 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:31 pm »
Thanks Ola_S but it does not seem to connect to the review for me?

james
I was commenting on the first part that you wrote James:
A few years ago, we had a review in a Swedish magazine that pronounced the 14B SST2 to be 'perfect'. That was not based on 'he liked it'; it had nothing to do with auditory preference, it had to do with transparency. The reviewer had and still has a setup where he can literally 'bypass' an amplifier to drop it out of the signal path, (dummy speaker load, gain-reduction L-pad, leading to a second amplifier to the speakers). The 14B SST2 turned out to be impossible to detect in the signal path, on any signal they tried, from simple guitar music to full orchestra ffff, to an electronic metronome with instant rise time and no overshoot. And it was the first audio device in his history to do so.

Just added the link to the test you refereed to and commented that the "old" 14B-SST has only been joined by one(!) more amplifiers since then, the Holographic Audio AMP 27 (27dBw), this implies that the cube series must be "mega"!  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #249 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:45 pm »
I was commenting on the first part that you wrote James:
Just added the link to the test you refereed to and commented that the "old" 14B-SST has only been joined by one(!) more amplifiers since then, the Holographic Audio AMP 27 (27dBw), this implies that the cube series must be "mega"!  :thumb:

OK thanks

james

Markd51

« Reply #250 on: 3 Feb 2016, 12:57 pm »
I think the new Cubed Amps look pretty spiffy, although I am happy with the look of my 7BSST2's.  And I am happy with the sound as well.

Am I happy about the new Amps replacing the older SST2's, considering I've only owned my 7's for about 10 months now?   Well, no, and yes.

I had assumed, like other audio equipment, that "time marches on", and that there would come a point in time where Bryston would introduce newer models.

But it is pleasing to hear that there will be an upgrade path should an owner choose such modification enhancements to the SST2 Series.   

From James' writings, it appears one can keep the SST2 Faceplates, and perhaps then this route would slightly lessen the upgrade costs per Unit I would presume?

Would I consider the upgrade path for my pair?  I might, maybe, but only "if" one of my Amps should ever fail and has to be sent back for repair under warrantee.   And as you folks well know, I might be waiting for a long, long time!

My current thoughts about my Amps at this point in time are, "Don't fix what isn't broken".

G E

« Reply #251 on: 3 Feb 2016, 07:52 pm »
This past weekend I spent extended time listening to my system as I have a new cartridge I'm breaking in, a Grado Reference Master 1.  I have Bryston 28B SST2 power amps and the entire system is on a dedicated 20 amp line.

I am still blown away by the sonic qualities of your flagship amps. 

James, if your team has improved upon them.... my hat is off.  What I heard a few days ago was absolutely sublime. 

Does this mean the entire Cubed series get the delicate sweetness I hear from the 28B SST2's?  I had the 4B SST2 prior, and I hear the family similarities but also the differences.  It's like the 28's have a bit o' honey in them. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #252 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:00 pm »
This past weekend I spent extended time listening to my system as I have a new cartridge I'm breaking in, a Grado Reference Master 1.  I have Bryston 28B SST2 power amps and the entire system is on a dedicated 20 amp line.

I am still blown away by the sonic qualities of your flagship amps. 

James, if your team has improved upon them.... my hat is off.  What I heard a few days ago was absolutely sublime. 

Does this mean the entire Cubed series get the delicate sweetness I hear from the 28B SST2's?  I had the 4B SST2 prior, and I hear the family similarities but also the differences.  It's like the 28's have a bit o' honey in them.

I think the advantage the 28B's have is they just do not give a s..t what the load on the speaker is. So its an amplifier that is always in relax mode.  I had one customer tell me his 28B was the best tweeter amp he had ever heard. :lol:

james

SoundGame

« Reply #253 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:02 pm »
I've really liked seeing the pics of the chasis and faceplate of the new Cubed amps; however, we all know that beauty is only skin deep - whatever guage that might be....

James, could you share some of the top-off inside shots of the 4B3 and maybe 7B3 vs their predecessors?  Would love to see if the inside changes are visible to the untrained eye. 

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:18 pm »
I've really liked seeing the pics of the chasis and faceplate of the new Cubed amps; however, we all know that beauty is only skin deep - whatever guage that might be....

James, could you share some of the top-off inside shots of the 4B3 and maybe 7B3 vs their predecessors?  Would love to see if the inside changes are visible to the untrained eye. 

Thanks.

Hi

I will try and get some shots but other than the new backboard and softstart section it will look very similar.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #255 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:29 pm »
Okay, thanks James. 

Has pricing officially announced, as well?  I know you shared the range of 10 to 12% up.

Hi

I will try and get some shots but other than the new backboard and softstart section it will look very similar.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #256 on: 3 Feb 2016, 08:37 pm »
Okay, thanks James. 

Has pricing officially announced, as well?  I know you shared the range of 10 to 12% up.

Yes the prices were sent out today - 10% increase.

james

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #257 on: 3 Feb 2016, 09:30 pm »
I think the advantage the 28B's have is they just do not give a s..t what the load on the speaker is. So its an amplifier that is always in relax mode.  I had one customer tell me his 28B was the best tweeter amp he had ever heard. :lol:

james

Absolutely agree with this. I am very sensitive to the high end and if it's aggressive or forward, it kills me. My 28BSST2 amps are amazing!

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #258 on: 3 Feb 2016, 10:01 pm »
Yes the prices were sent out today - 10% increase.

james

Hi James,

How does the increase apply to the upgrade price from the 28BSST2 to the 28Bcubed? What can we expect to pay for the upgrade for a pair of 28's?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #259 on: 3 Feb 2016, 11:15 pm »

Hi James,

How does the increase apply to the upgrade price from the 28BSST2 to the 28Bcubed? What can we expect to pay for the upgrade for a pair of 28's?

Sorry - no idea at this point.  I have to look at the mechanics involved and what changes are needed - should know in a month or so.

james