Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

prodigy911

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #540 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:49 am »
Just got 7B3 landed to my room.  WOW very impressive.  Let me borrow wording from Larevoj's review;

A perceivable lower noise floor; quiet and clear contrast.
Superb imaging and clarity with distinctive separation of instruments.

I do totally agree with these statements.  Surprisingly I didn't expect this degree of changes from my previous 7BSST2.  Well done Bryston!!!

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #541 on: 13 Apr 2016, 07:54 am »
Just got 7B3 landed to my room.  WOW very impressive... Surprisingly I didn't expect this degree of changes from my previous 7BSST2.  Well done Bryston!!!

Congratulations Prodigy911 !

Can I ask what music you played and in what way the changes manifested themselves ?

I'm waiting for a pair of 7B3's to be delivered myself and so starting to think about what to play first ! :-)

Ian

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #542 on: 13 Apr 2016, 10:03 am »
Just got 7B3 landed to my room.  WOW very impressive.  Let me borrow wording from Larevoj's review;

A perceivable lower noise floor; quiet and clear contrast.
Superb imaging and clarity with distinctive separation of instruments.

I do totally agree with these statements.  Surprisingly I didn't expect this degree of changes from my previous 7BSST2.  Well done Bryston!!!

WOW - great picture - can you send me a jpeg of it please - jamestanner@bryston.com

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #543 on: 13 Apr 2016, 11:55 am »
Prodigy: Congrats and enjoy the new cubies.

My test for a power amp is Mahler's 3rd Symphony (Bernstein/NY Phil). It is LONG, but it has everything, brass, bass, voices, strings....fast, slow, delicate, stupendously loud.

Go for it!

wilsonij

« Reply #544 on: 13 Apr 2016, 07:50 pm »
My test for a power amp is Mahler's 3rd Symphony (Bernstein/NY Phil). It is LONG, but it has everything, brass, bass, voices, strings....fast, slow, delicate, stupendously loud.

I've had a quick check and I have a Mahler boxset by Warner Classics featuring CBSO/Rattle, so hopefully that will suffice :-)

Other fave audition tracks include...
  • the opening two tracks of Elfman's "Mission Impossible" soundtrack
  • "Son of Tut" by Dr.Didj
  • "Love You to Death" by Type O Negative
  • "Sixth Sense" by the United Future Organisation
  • "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" by Paul Simon
  • the "James Bond Theme" by Moby
But which one FIRST !?

This is worse than Desert Island Discs...

...but in a good way... :-)

Ian

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #545 on: 13 Apr 2016, 09:33 pm »
"Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" by Paul Simon

james

prodigy911

« Reply #546 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:58 am »
Congratulations Prodigy911 !

Can I ask what music you played and in what way the changes manifested themselves ?

I'm waiting for a pair of 7B3's to be delivered myself and so starting to think about what to play first ! :-)

Ian

Hello Ian

My collection is mostly vocal and instrumental jazz music.  My most favorite is from Soundliaison.com's Carmen Gomes.  The changes I got from my new gear is the clarity of music instruments and wider soundstage.   :thumb:

Antoon

« Reply #547 on: 14 Apr 2016, 10:08 am »

That's a stunning setup, congrats !!

You combine Moon and Bryston, which I think is a really good match. I have the Moon P-8 RS preamp (and Moon 750D CD/DAC) combined with Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks.

In fact, I had up till now a Bryston 14B SST amp and, since yesterday, I'm the proud owner of a pair of ex-demo 28B SST2 monoblocks (silver beasts in the front in the picture below)  :D

Sorry for the cable mess, I just set up everything provisionnally, being eager to hear how the 28B SST2 monoblocks sound (you can still see my 'old' black 14B SST to the right in the back (left is a black 6B SST for surround)). The 28B SST2 monoblocks sound amazing: sweet, homogeneous across the frequency range and less bass emphasis than my 14B SST. But, oh boy, the 28Bs really have grunt when you turn up the volume.

I've been quietly reading this entire thread and I've been impressed with how forthcoming James Tanner has been in this thread with trying to respond to all kinds of questions. I registered with AudioCircle to react to the comments made by some people earlier in this thread.

As a fresh owner of Bryston 28B SST2 amps, am I disappointed because Bryston released the new Cubed series? Certainly not ! My Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks are reference amps. They were so when they were introduced to the market and they didn't get any worse since, period ! My ears didn't get any better either, in fact they continue to deteriorate since I was born, just like the ears of everybody else (it's physiology).
Besides, I do not wish to spend the budget to buy such amps new. Most of my audio gear is ex-demo or second hand.

Bryston should also not need to justify itself to introduce a new series to the market after 7 years or so. A 10% price increase is also reasonable: parts become more expensive and salaries go up. This is in contrast to the quite shameless price increases I've seen with other brands that I like, such as B&W en Pass Labs. Those companies seem to have priced their latest series rather on the 'how-far-can-we-stretch-it?' principle than on parts + labour + reasonable profit margin.

I appreciate that Bryston is looking into the possibility of offering an upgrade for SST2 owners. I'll see what it adds up to (cost + sound wise) and then make my decision.

My advice to James Tanner/Bryston is: continue exactly like you have done up till now. If so, I will remain your (very happy) customer for the rest of my life.  :thumb:

Greetings from Luxembourg,

Antoon.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #548 on: 14 Apr 2016, 10:48 am »
Hi Antoon,

That's a great-looking rig you have there. Bet it performs superbly.

One track I forgot to mention that I use to test soundstage and resolution is Beethoven's Wellington's Victory, by Neville Marriner/Acad St Martin in the Fields. This particular version has horses, crows, cannonfire, and trumpets all over the soundstage. Good workout for speakers and amps. Try it.

cheers

wilsonij

« Reply #549 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm »
One track I forgot to mention that I use to test soundstage and resolution is Beethoven's Wellington's Victory, by Neville Marriner/Acad St Martin in the Fields. This particular version has horses, crows, cannonfire, and trumpets all over the soundstage. Good workout for speakers and amps. Try it.

Another great idea Maestro ! I've just started a new thread for just such recommendations...

BTW I checked out your thoughts on the Bernstein version of Mahler's Third and the reviews are great, and it's also been remastered, so I think I'll pick a copy up... :-)

Ian

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #550 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm »
Ian,

Get this album. The Wellington's Victory is stupendous sound.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4262392#download

Antoon

« Reply #551 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:47 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion and the link Maestro.

I'll buy the flac version of the Battle Symphony and listen to it tonight.

Cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #552 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:25 pm »
Great, Antoon. Enjoy!

I do MP3 320-kbps from Presto Classical -- I can't hear any diff with that vs FLAC. Even on my floor system.

cheers

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #553 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:48 pm »
Hi, I am looking forward to receiving my 4B3 in the near future.  Can anyone recommend a good solid amp stand in case I want to get the amp up off the wood floor?

The amp and stand will be largely hidden behind a Magnepan panel and a subwoofer.  The main criterion is that the stand's width and length not be much greater than the amp's dimensions, as space is tight.

Also, any thoughts on whether I should plug the 4B3 into the wall outlet directly versus plugging it into my PS Audio Quintessence Power Center?

Thanks!

Antoon

« Reply #554 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:27 pm »
I've been thinking of putting my amps on 30mm plywood plates with an oak finish to fit my wooden floor; the plates would have rubber feet (one could also use spikes). Both the plywood and the feet absorb vibrations. It's cheap and you can have it cut to any size you want.

In my case, I'll choose the width such that it fits between the legs of my existing hifi rack so that I can build the rack around it.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #555 on: 14 Apr 2016, 08:30 pm »
I use Cardas myrtle wood cuboids, one under each rubber foot of my 14B2 which is on a wood floor. No fuss, effective dampening. See my album.

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #556 on: 15 Apr 2016, 02:30 pm »
Very interesting, thanks for the great suggestions.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #557 on: 15 Apr 2016, 10:36 pm »
Hi, I am looking forward to receiving my 4B3 in the near future.  Can anyone recommend a good solid amp stand in case I want to get the amp up off the wood floor?

The amp and stand will be largely hidden behind a Magnepan panel and a subwoofer.  The main criterion is that the stand's width and length not be much greater than the amp's dimensions, as space is tight.

Also, any thoughts on whether I should plug the 4B3 into the wall outlet directly versus plugging it into my PS Audio Quintessence Power Center?

Thanks!

Salamander

myview

« Reply #558 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:30 am »
Hello there James,

I am a loyal Bryston fan and a regular reader/lurker here.  I appreciate your active participation here on AudioCircle and really like your candour.  Do keep up the good work and do not let anyone's comments discourage you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #559 on: 16 Apr 2016, 11:30 am »
Nice picture of the new 4B Cubed 17 inch Black.

james