Does this exist?

TJHUB

Does this exist?
« on: 15 Dec 2020, 05:26 pm »
I have a nearly dedicated HT setup with a 120" screen/projector setup, 5.2 surround where the front 3 channels are smaller bookshelf speakers with dual 5.25" drivers with tweeters, and rear surrounds.  I have dual 18" subs with separate amplifiers to drive them.  I don't have any interest is going beyond the 5.2 speaker setup, and I rarely if ever crank up the volume.

I am currently running an aging HT receiver (Onkyo TX-SR876) for surround processing, video switching, and amplification of the 5 channels.  It's fine, and still running even though they were famous for dying due to over-heating HDMI boards.  It runs very hot, but I purchased it refurbished, so it must have been fixed and fixed well. 

My needs have become very simplistic over the years.  I have only 2 sources now; a streaming box (ROKU or Amazon Fire Stick), and a blu-ray player.  I run the blu-ray player maybe a hand full of times per year at best, so it's mostly just the streaming box.  That said, I'm wondering if a simple surround processor/amp with video switching exists?  I've been out of the game for some time.

What I'd like is a simple box that has 2 to 4 HDMI inputs, the latest surround modes, 5.1 or preferably 5.2 outputs where only the .2 is pre-out, and enough power to drive my 5 bookshelf speakers to a decent volume.  I don't need/want anything more; no am/fm radio, no music streaming, no game crap, no analog inputs, nothing.  I do need some sort of 12v trigger for my subwoofer amps as well.  Even my current solution isn't so great.  Does this exist? 

Phil A

Doublej

Re: Does this exist?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2020, 05:58 pm »
Probably not. As Phil A indicates, you can definitely find something that meets your desires, though it will have extra stuff that you don't want.

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2020, 06:36 pm »
Sure - just look at accessories4less.com

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

I usually try to buy from them, and that's where my current receiver is from.  I did find a simple receiver, but it's not worth changing to now.  I guess I will wait.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:09 pm »
I think the only advantage to changing receivers is the Audyssey or Anthem Room Correction (ARC) software included in some receivers. I have an Anthem AVM 60 and the sound clarity, definition, lack of harshness and fatigue no matter how loud far surpasses the Outlaw 975 it replaced. The Anthem Room Correction really works well, the overall sound balance is smoother with a perfect transition to the sub. Once you hear it you will never go back.

Unfortunately perfection is not cheap, the Anthem MRX 540 is $1599.00.
https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-540/page=overview

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:18 pm »
To be honest, I don't need the room correction either.  I never use it because it never seemed to do much.  My subs are individually EQ'd with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, and my primary listening position is nearly equidistant from all the speakers. 

I guess I was hoping one day I wouldn't have to use a do everything box with a shit-ton of "features" to accomplish what should be a simple task; video switching, surround processing/amplification, and volume control.  See...simple...

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:31 pm »
Oddly enough, a simple box like you describe often costs more than the complicated ones.

IME, something with a trigger output jacks up the price (why?). 

Maybe something along the lines of a used Cary Audio Cinema 11a feeding your receiver.  It has only 2 HDMI but that's all you need.  They go for reasonable prices and man! do they sound great.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2020, 11:32 pm »
Simple would be an AVR with 5 speakers and 2 powered subwoofers that have built in auto on.

With an AVR, it's really not that difficult to ignore the features you do not want to deal with. I have a Yamaha AVR. The remote includes 4 HDMI input direct selection buttons and a volume control. Pretty simple to use and setup.

The 12v trigger may present a bit of a challenge. You could buy a pair of Amazon Smart Plugs and turn the subwoofer amps on and off through Alexa on the Fire TV stick remote.