New Studio Monitors in a new listening room.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: New Studio Monitors in a new listening room.
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2019, 03:23 pm »
I know a guy who would make a video about those... just sayin!

I wonder who that is  :green:

seadogs1

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2019, 01:55 pm »
Will you be making an Active version?

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2019, 02:38 pm »
Will you be making an Active version?

If I can find the right amplification.

gab

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2019, 03:28 pm »
If I can find the right amplification.

Your thoughts & impressions on the Mivera Takachi Icepower 1200AS2 amp I see in the pictures?

gab

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2019, 04:08 pm »
Your thoughts & impressions on the Mivera Takachi Icepower 1200AS2 amp I see in the pictures?

gab

The overall sound was very good. It was fairly close to my little chip amps. I had two issues with it though.

And this may not be the Mivera version. This one was built from the same Icepower amp module though.

Issue one was this version had only single ended inputs and that may have been hitting the input sensitivity. So the amp was hard to drive. My Dodd pre-amp has unity gain. So I really didn't have the power to drive it.

Secondly, it has a slight hum. This may be because of the conversion on the board from balanced to single ended. I don't know. But it did have a clear hum that was way too load for me.

The Icepower module showed a lot of potential though.

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2019, 05:55 pm »
That is not  a Mivera version.
Must be something  in the wiring that is causing the hum, possibly  the   conversion to Se  as you  say or maybe even a   wire routing issue ..  not sure  but  I can tell you, I've  heard  a number of these and they are   quiet.  I have one of Mike's  (Mivera) 1200's    driving the Super super 7's and  it is dead  quiet,  even at  full volume with  no music  playing.
And actually, right  now   I have some  SE inpouts in it (normally run a   direct patch cable  from DAC to  amp) and even  withthe  SE inputs ( (sheild to ground), it is   dead quiet.
I  seem to recall someone else  had  a bit of  a hum with one of these and it turned out to be   the input wires.... make sure they've got  twist to them.

And yeah, they don't have a  ton of gain in them,  IIRC they need  like  5.5v or something  to be driven to full   power.   Going balanced would get you  up to   4V, maybe  more if your DAC  possibly   has   some type of  output  control/jumpers.... maybe  talk to Eric  ?

My  Mivera  Purestream  puts out  6v  when running in balanced with  resistor jumpers removed.

If you can get  rid of the hum  and get  some  more  gain,  you'll  be  impressed with  how  this amp  grabs hold of the   nx speakers and it sounds  great  too.  Others may disagree but   I felt upgrading tothe  Neotech Silver/gold  wiring   made a  substantial difference
jay

gab

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2019, 07:40 pm »
Here is a link to the Mivera site (which discusses the buzzing and contains a video showing the likely culprit of the buzz on the Icepower 1200AS2 module):

https://www.miveraaudio.com/forum/purepower-amplifier/1200as2-very-loud-buzzing

Be interesting to know if other AC members experienced this buzz in their setup.

gab

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2019, 08:07 pm »
Here is a link to the Mivera site (which discusses the buzzing and contains a video showing the likely culprit of the buzz on the Icepower 1200AS2 module):

https://www.miveraaudio.com/forum/purepower-amplifier/1200as2-very-loud-buzzing

Be interesting to know if other AC members experienced this buzz in their setup.

gab

Oh,  I  thought  danny was talking about  a  hum through the speakers.
In any event, I haven't heard  any  buzz either 

jay

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2019, 08:44 pm »
I have a Mivera Audio Icepower 1200AS2 amp and have no hum or buzz through the speakers or from the amp.  Dead quiet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2019, 09:02 pm »
How does one get into the amp making business if one doesn't understand how to deal with hum and buzz?  It boggles the mind.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2019, 09:37 pm »
How does one get into the amp making business if one doesn't understand how to deal with hum and buzz?  It boggles the mind.

Are you  insinuating that  B&O doesn't  know how to make  amplifiers ?   Or, are you  just  trying to get  another stab in at  Mike ?
 As I mentioned above,  I've  heard  many  of the amps  Mike has assembled and  all of them  sounded great, dead silent   whether wired up in SE or   run fully  balanced.
The one that  Danny  has is not  a Mivera built  unit, I have no idea  how  things  were    wired/routed  etc.  I know there  were some  guys  getting some of the modules  through  "non-proper"  chains,  who  knows  what   they've  done.

I know a  lot of  folks who are more than happy with  their Mivara amps.

jay

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2019, 09:42 pm »
Right on Jay, I thought it was another cheap shot by Tyson and had to restrain myself from responding.  I'm glad you did as you were more tactful than I would have been.  Now back to the discussion of these great GR monitors. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2019, 09:46 pm »
Are you  insinuating that  B&O doesn't  know how to make  amplifiers ?   Or, are you  just  trying to get  another stab in at  Mike ?
 As I mentioned above,  I've  heard  many  of the amps  Mike has assembled and  all of them  sounded great, dead silent   whether wired up in SE or   run fully  balanced.
The one that  Danny  has is not  a Mivera built  unit, I have no idea  how  things  were    wired/routed  etc.  I know there  were some  guys  getting some of the modules  through  "non-proper"  chains,  who  knows  what   they've  done.

I know a  lot of  folks who are more than happy with  their Mivara amps.

jay

I think he was referring to whoever built this amp that I have. I stated right away that it was not a Mivera version.

And the owner of it says he does not get the hum at his place.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2019, 09:56 pm »
I read the thread that was posted and Mike's response to the people having hum problems were basically "eh, you bought those units second hand" and "well, the electrical grid can do weird things to amps".  I'm surprised he didn't have more specific actions to try to get the problem solved.   

It'd be like Danny telling someone "well, the speaker was working when it left my shop, it must be your amp".  I mean, that might be true but it would be a surprise if a manufacturer washed their hands of the situation like that when there's a problem.  A better response would be "well, here are the top 3 things that can cause that issue and here's how to test that out". 

Personally I've had to deal with hum, both at the speaker and in the amp (tubed equipment, mostly), and I know how annoying it can be.  At least the makers of the stuff I have/had were helpful in giving specific advice that allowed me to track down the problem. 

Either Mike knows some good ways to troubleshoot these problems and he's just now willing to share, or he doesn't know how to solve it at all and thus can't offer advice or solutions even if he wanted to. 

Anyway, I've already said more than I intended to and I don't see this conversation resolving in a non-combative manner, so I'll bow out.  Apologies for the thread derailment, Danny.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2019, 10:07 pm »
Well said Tyson, you should have said it like that the first time.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #35 on: 29 May 2019, 10:53 pm »
There is no reason why an IceEdge amp module should have hum through the speakers.  This is certainly a set up issue....or the way the module was grounded (or not). 

However, the IceEdge modules do make some hum themselves.  The power transformers can either be almost dead quiet or at their loudest, hearing them two feet away (most all modules I have tested are not in the (hear it from two feet away category).  I do have one stereo module here like that.  Do you listen to music when your amp is two feet from you?  Not many do.  So, the transformer noise is a non issue for anyone unless you just "have" to have your amp silent within two feet and you get one of the "buzzers" (the hum is more like a buzz).  It would be nice if IcePower could get all their transformers dead silent.....but this issue does not affect in any way the ability to enjoy its sound.

kheidenr

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2019, 01:33 am »
Sign me up for the tour too.  I am outside Kansas City and willing to drive to pickup or return the speakers.  Would love to hear Danny's new creation.  I really just need to budget for the Super 7s but these would be great to hear.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2019, 02:29 am »
Sign me up for the tour too.  I am outside Kansas City and willing to drive to pickup or return the speakers.  Would love to hear Danny's new creation.  I really just need to budget for the Super 7s but these would be great to hear.

I don’t have one of these speakers but I do have other of Danny’s speakers and am about 4 hours from you. You’re welcome to come over and listen.

Mike

kheidenr

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jun 2019, 02:24 pm »
Cool - I'll PM you!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #39 on: 4 Aug 2019, 05:01 pm »
Danny,

Are the new Studio Monitors sold as fully assembled or are they in kit form?