home made isolation ...

jamesg11

home made isolation ...
« on: 11 Nov 2014, 04:20 am »
Anyone tried the Barry Diament bike tubes & ball bearings in cups method? The air is for 'vertical' isolation & the bearings for 'horizontal' ...
http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

srb

Re: home made isolation ...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:04 am »
My first thought is that the circle of a manufacturer and vendor of isolation devices is probably not the right circle for DIY alternatives?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:10 am »
Any topic regarding vibration control products and discussion, including DIY and other manufacturers, is welcome and encouraged.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

MegaHz

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2014, 02:39 am »
Couple of thoughts and a question:

1.  You can easily and cheaply try for yourself.  Purchase some 1" Chrome steel bearings and make a sandwich with Shepherd 1-3/4-Inch Non-Slip Furniture Cups.  Similar concept to the popular rollerblocks.

2.  These are often paired with some vertical decoupling by placing a partially inflated bicycle inner tube under a platform.  But I wonder if instead of the inner tube could a Herbie's product pair very nicely here and boost the performance of the roller block type of devices.

Steve, any recommendations or thoughts here?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2014, 02:50 am »
No particular thoughts or recommendations, other than most of Herbie's Audio Lab products work superbly on their own. If using a rollerblock, placing a grungebuster Dot as a decoupling interface between roller block and shelf or component is usually beneficial. Grungebuster Dots are also always beneficial between a platform and shelf, without the resonance issues and subsequent effect on linearity that innertubes have.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

MegaHz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2014, 10:44 pm »
Thanks Steve.  I just put an order in and will play around with the Grungebuster.