I am new here - hello everyone......

Arcticdeth

I am new here - hello everyone......
« on: 14 Oct 2013, 03:59 pm »
good morning fellow audio enthusiasts.
just joined a while ago, been watching for a while,  but finally decided to join.

I am very spunky, if a grown man can use that word,....i may get excited, and throw a couple swear words out there, and will try to cencor myself if I can, but some times i miss 1 or 2.

I am NEVER really serious, i just like to have a bit of fun, so if a fun, likes to h ave a good time poster, gets you upset, pound sand..ok ( there, theres an example, it sounds trite, but is not. ( I guess I have watched too much MOnty Python as a youngster. )

enjoy me, and i will try to pass on some of my knowledge I know, and also " listen " and learn myself in here.

I have been dealing with audio since as long as i can remember, i have ALWAYS wanted a very nice stereo, i have gone through many many brands since the mid 80's,  sunfire amp, altec lansing, cerwin vega, onkyo, parasound, and umpteen other brands with different combinations or pre-power, speaker combos, cd players, etc etc. I guess im pretty seasoned as far as audio goes. not the top tier stuff, as its for the elite, and that I am not. I am in the saving mode for odyssey kizmet with all bells & whistles.
My current line up, and dont laugh is those emotiva xpa-1 mono's - their pretty descent, but If i hadnt sold my rotel rb-1090 for t hem, i think I would have opted to NOT sell it, it did have much more detailed bottom end, but the emotivas do have a better mid and high freq range to me. the rotel, just had a nice dark, deep " im the boss " sound through my cerwin vega D-9's.  I still have those bad dogs in the basement, and someday will hook em up again.  i use now BIC pretty much exclusively, i LOVE the open airy sound theyhave, like that " your there " souond.   they did require a good 1 y ear of break in, for the tweeters to calm down, but now....WOW, i have the dv-64, and a pair of dv-84, these are without a doubt the best sounding speaker ive used. and would have LOVED to hear them through the rotel, but im afraid it didnt  happen.
The sunfire amp, was probably the best high end amp ive used, but didnt have the bass slam i like, but did have the best upper mid i have ever heard.
I like to always switch stuff around, buy a diff preamp to try with amplifiers etc etc. its a revolving door of components in here, and drives the wife batty.   so thats a quict breakdown of a sprinkling of what i have used since the mid 80's, there are many many more, nbuut i would have to go through my file cabinet and go through al the receipts and stuff for a fulkl list.

cheers

Arcticdeth

Re: I am new here - hello everyone......
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2013, 04:13 pm »
I have spoken with Klaus several times, always the good salesman, but his products DO JUSTIVE to any speaker. I have not heard any of the amps, only from word of mouth do have the itch for new amps. I have a question for all you nuts in here ::

i have always loved having power amps with at least 1000 wpc, whether it be pro guitar amps QSC, CROWN etc etc, and now these 5ooW emotivas.

QUESTION :  will the measley ( used nicely of course ) 200W odyssey amps compare to the 500W @ 8 ohm and 1000W @ 4 ohm emotivas.
as the current is a huge factor here, but have never paid much attention to this.....   your help is aareciated

pavment

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2013, 06:15 pm »
Don't play into the numbers game. Higher numbers does not equal sonic satisfaction. It depends on your preference, some like warm some like detailed, others yearn for Neutral.  Then you can go on about great mids, dull highs etc. Everyone has a different preference.
Having owned Emotivas, the UPA-1, to my ears it sounded a bit bright and clinical. I finally settled on to Outlaw monoblocks. It was not bright and musical but I could live with it. The Odyssey sounds much better than the Outlaws. Odysseys require to be left on for quite a while to reach their potential. I like it a lot since its much more refined and Klaus came forth in spades when I needed it. On a side note, it may have sensitivity to cables and  not play along with certain devices(AVR/preamps) in the link that have floating ground.

Now back to numbers, I have a 50 watt Tube amp in my man cave and it outperforms sonically and output wise to any 100+ watts SS amp I have ever owned or own.  To summarize, men can never be permanently happy kinda like women when it comes to sound. But I never wanted to get in this mess, all  I wanted to be was a lumberjack.  :icon_lol:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:11 pm »
1000 WPC??  Nice for live concert blasting, but as stated by pavment, no guarantee of accurate sound reproduction, which #1 depends on your speakers, and then the gear ahead of them.  I have my HH Scott LK-48B integrated tube amp that I built from a kit when I was ~16 many years ago that probably sounds as good as a 1000 watt pro amp.  Hi fi amps and brute pro amps have different design goals that drive component selection and resulting sound quality.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm »
I h ave a couple amps by QSC, and did own the crown studio ref I, for a short time. I like having the volume when I need it.  most the QSC's are straight wire design, what you feed it is what you will get out of it. I like this, to a point, as many recordings are really bad, and need a life by a colored amp.

KLH007

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2013, 04:45 am »
I tried a Crown XLS 1500 based on Andrew Robinson's review, boasted 525 watts into my Legacy Focus' 4 ohm load, sounded lifeless, obscured details other amps revealed, small and shallow soundstage, disappointing. Tight bass and good control of bass/drum transients were it's best attributes. My Kismet monos offer a substantially more organic presentation, bettering the Crown in every aspect, play as loud without strain or glare, very transparent and resolving of detail,  startling dynamics, no grain, better soundstage and more open.

erniek

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:39 pm »
I am new here as well having just purchased a used 10 year old tempest pre and then ordering a new Khartago with most of the upgrades. I have been reading and listening about the Odyssey amps for a year now and decided to go forward with what will be my last amp/pre purchase. I have 59 year old ears and love to to buy and audition speakers of all kinds.
I made the decision to go with Klaus based mostly on the input from others and reviews of his products. What I am looking for with this purchase more than anything else is a great  user experience and an upgraded system environment. I am confident I will get both.
I am curious as to the age of a lot of those on this forum regarding the purchases from a company such as Odyssey. I am 59 and got my training in the 70's. Loved every experience I had musically from that decade.