Mozart Requiem - favorite recording?

JohnR

Mozart Requiem - favorite recording?
« on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:18 am »
Any must-haves? Currently listening to Karajan... gee I wish iTunes had more metadata in it, chances of finding the CD on the shelves for more info are a bit slim.

chadh

Re: Mozart Requiem - favorite recording?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:32 pm »

John,

I have this one, and enjoy it a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem-Watkinson-Johnson-Hogwood/dp/B000004CX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1292081013&sr=8-1

I'm no expert on the various versions of the Requiem (i.e. how they have been completed) - but the Amazon reviews are pretty informative on this level.  I will echo one of the reviews, and say that I really appreciate the Soprano performance in this - it's really "pure", which I prefer to an excessive, operatic performance.  My one additional comment is that the recording is very "dry".  Granted, this thing is such a dynamic piece of music, I can understand why you'd err on this side of perfection.

Chad

Art_Chicago

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:57 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem-Bonney-Blochwitz-Gardiner/dp/B0000040YU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I really like Gardiner version; I found it much better that romantic Karajan's version. Hogwood should be great too.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2010, 06:58 am »
Hello, thank you, you know, there's a good chance that I will enjoy those versions. I will try and get one.

:thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2010, 12:58 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem-Bonney-Blochwitz-Gardiner/dp/B0000040YU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I really like Gardiner version; I found it much better that romantic Karajan's version. Hogwood should be great too.

Everything I've heard from Gardiner is absolutely stellar!  This one should be no exception.  I think I'll get one for myself.

borism

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2010, 11:24 pm »
I just received the Berlin Philharmonic - Claudio Abbado CD. It was recorded in the Salzburger Dome and the acoustics show it. The thought that Mozart probably visited the recording venue during his lifetime is also intriguing. I strongly prefer this version over the Karajan - Wiener Philharmoniker one. The recording is very clear, dynamic and grand. I find it emotionally gripping. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Gardiner version. Maybe that's next.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:38 am »
Harnoncourt or Herrewegh are both first rate, even better than the excellent Gardiner and Hogwood versions.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2010, 06:29 pm »
Harnoncourt or Herrewegh are both first rate, even better than the excellent Gardiner and Hogwood versions.

I really like these two great conductors; own quite a few CD's. Particular prefer Herrewegh's Magnificat, but never heard Requiem. Something to get in 2011.
Happy New Year, everyone!

volvic325

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2011, 04:58 pm »
Two versions stick out the first one is the Peter Schreier version from the 80's and Karl Bohm's version.  Both very good, the Karajn 60's version is very good as well.