Help me picking gliders for my set up

heffner33

Help me picking gliders for my set up
« on: 3 Jan 2012, 07:33 pm »
I just got these Pioneer floor standing speakers.http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS51-LR-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-Black/dp/B004H1M4NO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325618226&sr=8-3

I live in an apartment with pretty thin carpet, and only about 8 foot ceilings.  I will be using this for all types of music, tv, PS3 using my HK receiver.  First question, will gliders from Herbie's help produce greater sound quality?  I haven't set my speakers up as I am just organizing my system now, is a product like this even necessary for me?

If so, what product would I need?  Would I be able to just put a glider under my speaker and that's it, or is there more to it? 

All tips and advice is much appreciated.  Thank you

heffner33

Re: Help me picking gliders for my set up
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2012, 07:39 pm »
like would I have to buy spikes, and then buy gliders?  I am not trying to spend a ton of money, and I would rather just have the floorstanders on the floor then pay as much as a subwoofer for these things.  Thank you!

heffner33

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2012, 07:50 pm »
could I just use 1 giant fat glider under each speaker?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm »
Hi, Heffner33. A set of four Little Fat Gliders under each speaker should do very well. The primary purpose of Herbie's gliders is to decouple and isolate the speakers to bring out more of the inherent sound quality of the speakers, and they do that very well. Easy mobility of the speakers, though a considerable benefit, is secondary.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

heffner33

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm »
I would be able to fit 4 of those under each speaker?  Speakers are pretty small.

Also, is there anyway I could get away with having only 2 under each speaker?  I don't want to end up spending $70+ on these when my speakers only cost $175.  Still worth it?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm »
Sure, Heffner3. Little Fat Gliders are less than 1 1/2" diameter; you'd put one near each corner under the speaker. It's up to you to decide whether your equipment is satisfactory right "out of the box" or if you want better sounding music to listen to.

Even low-cost components and speakers usually have considerably better inherently quality than you get right out of the box. Isolating your speakers with Little Fat Gliders would most likely achieve a sonic result greater than if you had invested another $70 in more expensive speakers (which would then also need isolation products to achieve more of their potential).

Using only two Gliders under each speaker should provide some benefit, maybe considerable benefit, allowing a bit of tilt also. Probably most beneficial if placed under each of the front corners of the speakers where the drivers are. You'd be able to tilt a speaker up a little from the opposite side and readily move the speaker also, taking advantage of the glider ability.

Going with a single Glider would likewise be feasible, placed about midway under the front of the speaker. The back edge of the speaker would provide lateral stability.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

heffner33

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm »
now would I want the pressure sensitive adhesive? Pros and cons?

Appreciate your help! Going to buy 4 soon and see how I like them.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm »
I recommend the pressure-sensitive option with Little Fat Gliders. Assures they'll stay in place. No cons, except they might be difficult to remove after a while. (Giant Fat Gliders have so much surface area and inherent grip that adhesive isn't necessary.)

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

heffner33

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:39 pm »
Thanks for all your help Steve.  Just one last question, you say when if I use 2 gliders there will be a better quality sound from my speakers, and you started off saying I should use 4, so how much difference would you expect me to see when going from 2 to 4 gliders under each speaker?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2012, 01:49 am »
Four Gliders would most likely be ideal. Two should provide satisfactory results, though. It's impossible to predict how much of a difference there would be between using two and four. Depends on the cabinet construction and vibrational interaction with the floor, how the weight is distributed between the front and back of the cabinet, and other variable factors. Differences could be subtle or quite substantial.

Candidly, I would venture that if you had two already and were auditioning two more, you'd keep the four.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

heffner33

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2012, 04:30 pm »
Ok, so one more question.  For the speakers listed above, what do you think would work better, 2 gliders or 1 giant glider per speaker? 

Or 2 giant gliders compared to 4 smaller ones per speaker?

I ask this just because it seems to be around the same price, and the giant gliders are more flexible and works with more kinds of environments.  Thanks!

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2012, 05:38 pm »
Tough questions to answer definitively. A single Giant Fat Glider is more substantial than two Little Fat Gliders. With the Pioneer speakers, if you're going to have Gliders on only the front side of the Cabinet, a single Giant Fat Glider would be a good choice. You'd have more vibration-absorbing "beef" to accomplish the job. With a pair of small Gliders, however, you'd be supporting the corners where the cabinet is likely most rigid and strong, and with the isolation more evenly distributed. So, I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

With four Little Fat Gliders, you'd have the speaker completely decoupled and isolated from the floor, whereas with two Giants on one side only, you would not, with vibration and isolation uncontrolled at the back of the cabinet. Four Gliders provide fuller distribution of the cabinet isolation as a whole and would most likely be the better choice.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

heffner33

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2012, 04:19 pm »
Ok so I just opened up my speakers.  They come with a base that you screw on to the bottom of the speakers.  The bottom of the base has 4 small circular pads that sit on the floor.  Do these serve the same purpose as the Little Fat gliders?  besides the gliding part.

If not, would I have to take off the base to use the fat gliders under the speaker? I understand you would want me to buy your product, but I really just want to know what I should do, and how to optimize my speaker quality.

I included pictures of the base to attach, and the bottom of the speaker without the base on it.  The base is probably a half an inch thick. Thank you.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2012, 06:11 pm »
For best results, you'll want to replace the factory pads with Gliders. Gliders, with dBNeutralizer material, will provide a superior isolation and decoupling and bring out a better sonic result than the factory pads, whether they're made of felt, rubber, Sorbothane, cork, nitrile, vinyl, or just about anything else. The speaker base provides additional lateral stability to the cabinet; no need to remove the bases.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

heffner33

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2012, 07:02 pm »
So you're telling me to leave the base, but try to remove the pads on the base, then use the Fat Little Gliders and attach those to the base?

How do you propose me move the factory pads from the base? An exacto knife?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:06 pm »
Hi, again. I don't have a hands-on for the particular pads on your speaker base. Lots of times, the pads can be peeled off with your fingers if they're attached with pressure-sensitive adhesive. If you don't want to remove the pads, that's no problem. Just place the Gliders alongside the present pads.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Marcos

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2012, 10:53 pm »
Boy - It took me less time to lease my last car.