How to use the Squeezebox Touch to play DSD files on a DoP compatible DAC

Dave543210

Nada?  :(

Pauli

This might be stupid question but I am totally novice with these hirez file formats. You are talking here about DSF or DFF files but I don't have any and to be honest I don't even know what they are. However I have few ISO files which are ripped from SACD? Can ISO files be used also?

I installed foo_input_packeddsd.dll and verified that it was installed ok. I converted the ISO file to FLAC and it went ok. However I was expecting that files would be much bigger than the files wich are converted normal WAV files but they are not. Also the frequencies are just 44khz. I guess that is not ok.

It would be great if anyone could help me a bit.

Pauli

I got it now. I appreciate your great help!

roggae

is this possible with a mac? 

marflao

I´m not sure if this has already been asked in this thread. In case I´ve missed it pls apologize and point me to the post.

My question is regarding the PCM Sample Rate setting in Foobar. Is this always set to 176400 (independent of having either a DSD64 or DS128 file)?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
For anyone still using the ole' trusty SB Touch...you can now play DSD (DSF, DFF) 2 channel files natively via USB.  You'll need to update LMS to 7.9 and the Touch to 7.8 and add the DSDPlayer plug-in along with the EDO app.  This is all part of the work completed by Triode.

I'm outputting Brothers in Arms in DSF to the Modwright Oppo BDP-105D via DOP (not DOP Flac) as I write this.

LMS 7.9 and Touch FW 7.8 also allow WAV files up to 24/192k, you no longer have to have Flac for anything greater than 24/96.

Just google the SB Touch and LMS 7.9.  It's all there.  There is a lot to go through, but it works!!

Mark

jt25741

Thanks.  What do you see as the advantage of doing this.    If you pre-prepare DSD Files in FLAC for DOP, I can make use of rich tagging.   It seems what this plugin does is take the raw stream --- but wouldn't I lose tagging in that case?

Thanks again.

golfugh

All the tags on my DSF files are there and show in LMS and also on iPeng 7.

I tagged all of my DSF files using DBPoweramp.

jt25741

So the advantage to this plugin is you can maintain the original files and not have to create DoP versions of them and waste space?

golfugh

Yep no need to convert to Dop Flac at all.  The Touch will play native DSF/DFF, of course DFF files can't be tagged.

The DSDPlayer plug-in allows you to select DSD over PCM (DoP) if your DAC requires DoP.

jt25741

Thanks.....so it allows native streaming...I got the impression that it converts everything to DoP on the fly in the way it works.   This is very cool.     I guess the problem I will have is everything talks over WiFi 802.11n bridges in my network.    So the FLAC prepositioning allows 2:1 file compression and no issues streaming DSD64 files as (176.4Khz DoP).    I am thinking if I went to native streaming I may have bandwidth issues, but I will try it and see.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Native streaming is not the correct term (ASIO is a native stream; DoP is the process of including "native" unconverted DSD in a 24/176k+ PCM stream, unconverted to PCM but not as direct as ASIO).  It's still DoP, but does not need the extra steps of user containerizing.

DoP Flac containerizing is a stop gap redundant exercise that was created for those hardware players (like SB Touch) that can't recognize normal DSD files coming over the wire (normal DoP does not require a manual effort to do a FLAC container; it simply uses 24/176k PCM to pack DSD and a flag telling the DAC that it is indeed either DSD or PCM).  Containerizing is an unnecessary exercise if the hardware player and DAC support normal DoP.  That is the case now with LMS 7.9 and the plugins/apps.   Thanks to Mark (golfugh) for the heads up.

golfugh

Thanks for the clarification Ted!

Mark

ted_b

• Facilitator
No, as I said, thank you.  Many SB customers will be thrilled!  My comment was about DoP vs native streaming.  Almost everything out there is DoP these days, except for the exaSounds and Myteks of the world.  Writing direct ASIO drivers is no fun...but worthwhile.  :)

jt25741

Native streaming is not the correct term (ASIO is a native stream; DoP is the process of including "native" unconverted DSD in a 24/176k+ PCM stream, unconverted to PCM but not as direct as ASIO).  It's still DoP, but does not need the extra steps of user containerizing.

DoP Flac containerizing is a stop gap redundant exercise that was created for those hardware players (like SB Touch) that can't recognize normal DSD files coming over the wire (normal DoP does not require a manual effort to do a FLAC container; it simply uses 24/176k PCM to pack DSD and a flag telling the DAC that it is indeed either DSD or PCM).  Containerizing is an unnecessary exercise if the hardware player and DAC support normal DoP.  That is the case now with LMS 7.9 and the plugins/apps.   Thanks to Mark (golfugh) for the heads up.

OK this makes more sense to me.....I thought it would rather magical if somehow the SBT HW supported native streams.   It is all DoP on the wire, and the plugin just does this on the fly.     I presume it does it as FLAC too on the fly?    If so....it maybe too CPU intensive for my little Atom :(

ted_b

• Facilitator
No, normal DoP does not then containerize to FLAC.  Defeats the purpose!  DoP is not CPU intensive, but yes theoretically it uses more CPU than straight PCM, but likely same as decompressing a FLAC or OGG container.  Nothing to worry about. 

jt25741

I was looking at the slimdevices forums thread......the plugin optionally allows native DSF/DFF streaming without DoP if supported by DAC:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?101641-LMS-7-9-and-DSD/page9

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Cool!  I'll give this a try.

Russ

golfugh

I have to add that the Touch is driving me nuts trying to connect to the Oppo!  It was working all morning, but had to power down everything for a T storm and now it can't find the Oppo USB in.

Whereas, it finds the PS Audio PWD II every time.

Argh

jt25741

I have to add that the Touch is driving me nuts trying to connect to the Oppo!  It was working all morning, but had to power down everything for a T storm and now it can't find the Oppo USB in.

Whereas, it finds the PS Audio PWD II every time.

Argh

I have it working with an Oppo HA-1 without issue, but it may use a different USB setup.        That is with DoP --- I haven't tried native streams yet with it and the plugin.