Bryston BP 25 preamp

JASLJS

Bryston BP 25 preamp
« on: 16 Nov 2020, 02:10 am »
Does anyone know what years the BP25 was made and how the rev differ? I am looking to buy one in the future and need to now the whether it worth to get one with the MM phono input or should I do it separate  .

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Bryston BP 25 preamp
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2020, 08:12 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
I will move this topic to the Bryston Circle as you already created a topic in the Starting Block Circle in 08NOV2020.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173284.msg1830868#msg1830868
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2020, 10:01 am by FullRangeMan »

JeffS.

• Team Bryston - all day!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2020, 08:44 pm »
I'm also a newbie and I've owned my BP25DA for over a decade.  You can look for reviews online to determine the dates of production (as an estimate).  I believe it was produced right up until it was replaced by the BP26.

As far as the MM module goes, I have one in my B100-SST, not in the BP25.  I really like it and I purchased this particular B100 because it was embedded.  If I were purchasing today, I would probably buy a BP25MM/MC vs. the BP25DA.  The B100 only has a MM module; no MC.  Nonetheless, I really like the performance of the MM module of the B100.  I don't think I would have been able to purchase a comparable external unit at the pricing I got my B100 used. 

Regarding MM vs MC, don't overlook the potential future desire to move to a MC cartridge.  Without MC capability, you will be limited to high-output MCs or you will have to use a step-up transformer (SUT).  I use a low-output Hana SL cartridge now and it's far better than the previous MM elliptical cartridges I used.

Jozsef

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:56 am »
If you don't plan to get a MC, just grab it. Bryston can often incorporate small upgrades for very little money as long as there are no unavailable parts required, so I wouldn't worry too much about the rev, if there even were any.

I had a BP25 and was happy with it, just for the record.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:45 pm »
 I've had mine for 20 years and still gives me amazing performance. It has been a perfect match to my 4BST...  .... :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2020, 05:49 pm »
Currently using a BP25 in my home office setup. Fantastic pre-amp. Will last you a life time....and then some.