Final Drive on the website

audioengr

Final Drive on the website
« on: 1 May 2013, 06:08 pm »
This is a totally new and unique device that can improve 99% of systems out there, both analog and digital:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/final-drive

Once you have one, you will never listen again without it. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2013, 07:04 pm by audioengr »

San Diegan

Re: Final Drive on the website
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2013, 03:43 am »
Steve,
For the foreseeable future I would be running balanced out from DAC to Final Drive and single ended RCA's to a stereo SS amp. Can you describe the benefits of this configuration please? Thanks, -John Lambert

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2013, 06:04 pm »
Steve,
For the foreseeable future I would be running balanced out from DAC to Final Drive and single ended RCA's to a stereo SS amp. Can you describe the benefits of this configuration please? Thanks, -John Lambert

Here are the benefits:

1) higher S/N ratio and lower noise because of using the balanced outs from the DAC rather than RCAs
2) galvanic isolation of ground between DAC and amps
3) means to insert other analog sources such as SACD player, Vinyl or HT using a separate preamp

Steve N.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm »
Hi Steve! Congrats on the new DAC.

I have been discussing preamps vs. DAC>AMP lately, and I use an Antelope Gold right now running into SE EL34 straight tube amp.

I'm curious your thoughts on the effects that would result when using the final drive with a well-implemented output stage on a DAC, going DAC (XLR) > AMP (SE RCA). Even with a solid output stage on the DAC, I'm imagine the FD will offer an improvement, the question is, how much?

cheers!

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:49 pm »
Hi Steve! Congrats on the new DAC.

I have been discussing preamps vs. DAC>AMP lately, and I use an Antelope Gold right now running into SE EL34 straight tube amp.

I'm curious your thoughts on the effects that would result when using the final drive with a well-implemented output stage on a DAC, going DAC (XLR) > AMP (SE RCA). Even with a solid output stage on the DAC, I'm imagine the FD will offer an improvement, the question is, how much?

cheers!

Two benefits:  balanced to SE from DAC will get you 6dB more S/N ratio and the FD will break the ground-loops.

You will get lower noise floor and less background noise, blacker background.  You may even hear less sibilance and better focus.  I used it at Newport show the second and third days and the difference was obvious.  Dead quiet and much more analog-like.  This was to SE tube monoblocks.

Steve N.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2013, 06:05 pm »
Hi Steve,
I'm running a Parasound Z-DAC balanced out to a Pascal digital amp, (very similar to Hypex N-Core). How would the Final Drive improve on an already ridiculously low noise floor, and the best digital in my system to date? The dac seems to have enough oomph to drive the amp effortlessly.

Thanks,
JCarney

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2013, 06:37 pm »
Hi Steve,
I'm running a Parasound Z-DAC balanced out to a Pascal digital amp, (very similar to Hypex N-Core). How would the Final Drive improve on an already ridiculously low noise floor, and the best digital in my system to date? The dac seems to have enough oomph to drive the amp effortlessly.

Thanks,
JCarney

Two ways:

1) breaks the ground-loops
2) provides a "true" balanced signal to the amps.  (+ and - signals are identical - impossible with SS outputs and no transformer)

Things can ALWAYS get better :P

Steve N.