New AVA A2D and R2X Converters

avahifi

New AVA A2D and R2X Converters
« on: 27 Jul 2021, 07:23 pm »
We are in the final stage of offering our A2D conversion box for the Digital Preamp.  This supports two separate analog sources, converts them to PCM digital and feeds the digital signal to any available Coax digital input on the new digital preamp.

We tried this coming from my turntable, connected first to our Vision Q phono preamp with its output fed into a prototype A2D box with its digital output then fed to the digital preamp. Finally the digital preamp was fed to two M225 balanced inputs and then to my Philharmonic Three speakers.

The musical results were VERY surprising - - - - MUCH better sound from the phono source then we had ever heard before. This is pretty interesting because the signal had to go thru two electrical conversions, first analog to digital in the A2D box and finally from digital to a balanced analog conversion in the Digital preamp

How could this be better then simply feeding the analog output from the Vision Q phono preamp directly into our really nice Fet Valve CFR analog preamp?  Of course we then had to use our other new product (again close to production), our R2X conversion box to provide an active balanced matched impedance signal to the pair of M225 amplifiers.

Just when we start thinking we know everything, something new comes along

Frank

trebejo

Re: New AVA A2D and R2X Converters
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:09 pm »
Lovely news, Frank, just lovely.

Riiiight away I see a use for the A2D even for pure-analog people (often including me)...which is to take that phono signal and digitize for various signal processing tasks. For example, tuning up that turntable, measuring the cartridge output, checking azimuth, anti-skating, channel balance, channel crosstalk...this is all very clear to see when we can pipe it into the computah. BUT...HOW DO WE KNOW THAT THE ADC DID THE RIGHT THING?? Well, now, we will know!

Also...yesssss...you know where I'm going with this...ever hear one of those annoying CD versions  of your favorite LP and say to yourself "I coulda done a better job remastering this"...yesssss...you know it's true...this little box gives us a chance to remaster our own vinyl.

8) 8) 8)

The pros already do this of course but they pay a lot of $$ and it probably doesn't even come from Minnesota, let alone Woodbury. So I'll take one pretty please.

Of course the R2X box will have a million uses (eg extending the range of the unbalanced-only AVA comparator, bridging a pair of 600R's, piping out to an inexpensive 1-way crossover for a sub, etc.) so I'll take one of those too.

These items are FUN FUN FUN. Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring these into production.

Carl V

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2021, 10:30 pm »
Encouraging news....

<<<How could this be better then simply feeding the analog output from the Vision Q phono preamp directly into our really nice Fet Valve CFR analog preamp?>>>

thoughts, speculation? Compare & contrast?

ajaye

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2021, 08:39 pm »
Hi Frank,

Love to see the expanding digital work. Years ago the complaints about digital (we all know what they were/are) were true in a lot of instances, but with the components and implementation available now just about all those weaknesses have been addressed imo and to my ears. Not to mention the configuration abilities digital can provide for a fraction of the cost and effort as would be required to duplicate same via analog means.

Any plans to offer usb output? There is def a market for very high quality vinyl capture, and usb is usually the simplest way to interface b/w a2d and a digital audio workspace these days. Just a thought as I'm currently in the market for a usb interface/a2d or a standalone a2d recorder with internal drive or SD card storage.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2021, 07:22 pm »
Good news!  I hope I am still on the list for the new digital preamp.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2021, 04:30 am »
Frank,

I answered my own question:  You previously described a turntable requiring a phono preamp in the signal path to your new A2D converter.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2021, 12:59 am »
Frank,

Do you have a price for the AVA A2D?