Turntable Isolation Platform

BobM

Re: Turntable Isolation Platform
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jul 2021, 05:02 pm »
I went with 2 different ideas. I made my shelving unit with 3 boxes, each filled with 50lbs of sand, and floated a maple butcher block on the sand. So my shelves are all seismic sinks. Yes, mass, mass, mass, but this alone did not, I repeat, did not solve a bouncy floor issue. You need some kind of suspension to achieve that.

I then got another butcher block from Ikea and put squash balls under it. Now, my TT is very heavy so I did not cut them in half. I also needed more than one on each corner. I used 9 of them, concentrating more under the motor pod where much of the weight sits. Over time the balls crunched down and now look like flattened pucks but still do the job admirably.

Zoom in and you will see what I am talking about.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jul 2021, 08:31 pm »
Hi Bob  :D

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2021, 12:08 pm »
Hi Bob  :D

It's been a while. Hope things are good with you. We're having a blast as retirees in Florida (except for the occasional hurricane, that is).

Ears Deluxe

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2021, 05:43 pm »
Hi Guys,

Okay, it looks like I've mostly solved the rumble issue as I went diy instead of purchasing a specific hifi turntable isolation platform. These platforms  seem to range from $500 to $1000 australian dollars which is pretty expensive as I can buy a new turntable for that price.  I bought a kitchen cutting block from ikea and I bought 2 squash balls. I cut the squash balls in half and glued them to the bottom of the wooden cutting block.

I sanded the wooden cutting block and painted it in high gloss paint. Tomorrow I'll buy a black flat finish as it will look better imo.

I would say I have reduced the rumble by at least 70% or more. I am totally satisfied now!

I can second this approach. I put one of the Ikea cutting blocks under my Clearaudio table, and it really made a difference.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2021, 08:09 am »
Hi Guys,

I recently saw this diy isolation platform on you tube.  It uses the exact same ikea kitchen chopping block as the one I uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdcAh3wMeqQ

Cheers Rod

toocool4

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2021, 12:02 pm »
Rocket I have seen this before, looks like a nice idea. I have not been able to try it, as I can’t find boards big enough to fit my turntable and motor onto.

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2021, 03:37 pm »
Not cheap, but you'll find woodworkers on line who do custom size cutting boards/butcher blocks to your spec. I've seem bamboo and maple among a few other woods. I assume your motor assembly is still affixed to your turntable and not a separate unit. I have a friend whose turntable and motor assembly are separate and he places the motor assembly on its own platform.

toocool4

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2021, 03:53 pm »
mick wolfe i'll look into that, thanks.
My motor is a separate unit, attached is a pic i had on my phone you can just see what i am talking about.

mick wolfe

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2021, 04:12 pm »
Beautiful turntable and set-up. Very tight but doable I think  :scratch: This in regard to a turntable base or separate turntable and motor base platforms.

toocool4

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2021, 04:19 pm »
Thanks mick wolfe I am using short belts, I could also use longer belts. With the short belts I will be able to use a large base instead of multiple bases if i use long belts.

mick wolfe

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2021, 04:37 pm »
Do what works best for you. The bigger challenge might be finding the ideal isolation device between your current rack and the bottom of your new turntable base. FWIW, my turntable set up is somewhat rigid and not springy or trampoline like. I continued that approach with my turntable base by using several IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks between my main audio rack and the bottom of my turntable base. In the past, I've also used racquetballs in that application.(or at one point, even a small innertube) This creates a different dynamic of course. All boils down to what synergizes best with your turntable. Your turntable looks quite massive, so size your isolation devices accordingly.

toocool4

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2021, 04:45 pm »
mick wolfe i will see what i can find, but at the moment i am not in a hurry.

mick wolfe

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2021, 05:02 pm »
mick wolfe i will see what i can find, but at the moment i am not in a hurry.

"not in a hurry' is a good place to be. Especially in this hobby.

thomas collins

« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2021, 01:52 pm »
i use an srs isolation stand.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2021, 08:57 pm »
My TT stand is a long flatscreen TV stand. so it is metal tubes filled with sand, and glass shelves.
I added two 22" by 18" solid Maple cutting boards. with tiny sorbothan dots then in top of those 3" thick 1" by 18" walnut cutting boards, again with tiny sorbothane spacers. The Kuzma is on one, the Rega on the other.
My idea is tuning and not isolation.

Rocket

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2021, 02:49 pm »
Hi Elizabeth,

How do you find the isolation using the tv stand for your turntable?

I have 2 turntables a Bryston BLP and a Technics SL1200 gr.  Both have issues.  The Bryston had major problems with rumble as I have a wood floor which really accentuates the issue. The Technics has no rumble but is not as isolated as the Bryston. Personally, I would have thought that the Bryston would not have been as isolated as the technics. Go figure...

Cheers Rod