Wayne Shorter passed away

VinceT

Wayne Shorter passed away
« on: 2 Mar 2023, 05:49 pm »
  :cry:

RIP

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/02/arts/music/wayne-shorter-dead.html

Very sad, another great lost. One of my fav sax players.

garyalex

Re: Wayne Shorter passed away
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2023, 06:00 pm »
This one really hurts.  He was one of my favorite tenor sax players.  Goodbye Wayne.  Thanks for the great music you made.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2023, 09:50 pm »
RIP Wayne

"The biggest ears of them all." Buhaina 1985

Lee Morgan was playing Newport Jazz Festival with Blakey 1959 when he bumped into his friend Wayne playing the festival with Maynard Ferguson big band. Lee, knowing Jazz Mess needed a new steady permanent tenor man, invited Wayne to join Blakey, which he did. Blakey's career was catapulted by the new Sextet that formed around Wayne as music director.

Miles was sad and jealous of Trane leaving him, and didn't want anything to do with Trane's replacement, Wayne. But Wayne's melodic and harmonic mastery and spiritual awareness was Trane's equal and he endeared himself to Miles and arguably contributed far more to the advancement of Miles' career than Trane did. Miles' subsequent saxists were more influenced by Wayne than Trane.

Those Who Sit and Wait

Terra Incognito classical music composed by Wayne

Free For All

Filles De Kilimanjaro

Ju Ju

A year after my band played a set in an open air street concert at Montreal Jazz Festival 1985, my brother's manager Marian Topper told him that she and Wayne were there in the audience of 60,000 people watching our performance and Wayne really dug it. We probably played one of his compositions, or something that he had recorded. Sadly, that was the closest I ever got to him.

My best friend from college worked with Wayne at his home in LA in early 1990s, teaching him how to program and use the new digital synths in his projects. He was deeply moved by the experience and Wayne's friendship.

My wife was a classically trained clarinetist/alto saxer and never appreciated Wayne's raw and irreverent tone, but she loves his music. For 40 years I have jokingly threatened her with putting on some Wayne when I don't get my way. We are both saddened to hear the news.

The jam session in heaven is about to get totally smoked.  :thumb:

AKLegal

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2023, 10:38 pm »
Very sad news. I got into to Jazz for Coltrane but stayed around for Shorter.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2023, 12:41 am »
Truly sad news. Thanks for all the great music Mr. Shorter, it's been a delight, and your gifts to the music world will live on. One can only hope to see the show up there when our time comes.

Thanks for sharing the insights Rich, special stuff.