mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Selling all demo speakers!!!
« Reply #60 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:52 am »
Sweet!  :thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #61 on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:02 am »

Still some fine tuning, moving things around (acoustic panels), tweeter switches back to flat

GregC

« Reply #62 on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:06 am »

Still some fine tuning, moving things around (acoustic panels), tweeter switches back to flat

The speakers look incredible.  I also found that I preferred the tweeter setting to flat.   

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #63 on: 22 Sep 2020, 09:13 pm »

FWIW, often speakers need to settle in for a bit after shipping , even when they are 100% broken in.  Hence the tweeter may sound a bit strident at first and then smooth out. The middle flat position is best and tells you everything is good. :thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #64 on: 22 Sep 2020, 10:58 pm »
FWIW, often speakers need to settle in for a bit after shipping , even when they are 100% broken in.  Hence the tweeter may sound a bit strident at first and then smooth out. The middle flat position is best and tells you everything is good. :thumb:

Exactly what happened

Sébastien

« Reply #65 on: 23 Sep 2020, 06:25 am »
I have exactly the same experience with my Apollo 11s, is there a rational and scientific explanation for this phenomenon of sound improvement over time, isn't it our ears that get used to their sound?

rbbert

« Reply #66 on: 29 Sep 2020, 01:02 pm »
Pleasantly surprising and a bit counter-intuitive (and thanks to audiotom posting his experience) the Apollo 11's seem to acoustically fit my slightly asymmetric mid-sized room better than the Ulysses.  In addition to playing "big", the stereo image is more centered and the sweet spot is larger.  I don't notice much if any difference in bass quality or quantity, though, but that has not been a problem with any speakers I have used in the last 10-12 years; perhaps more listening time on a broader selection of source material will change that.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 1 Oct 2020, 02:11 am »
Pleasantly surprising and a bit counter-intuitive (and thanks to audiotom posting his experience) the Apollo 11's seem to acoustically fit my slightly asymmetric mid-sized room better than the Ulysses.  In addition to playing "big", the stereo image is more centered and the sweet spot is larger.  I don't notice much if any difference in bass quality or quantity, though, but that has not been a problem with any speakers I have used in the last 10-12 years; perhaps more listening time on a broader selection of source material will change that.

Once you get used to the Apollo then go back to the Ulysses and you will hear quite a difference in the bass, if not then I suspect some part of your system may be holding back the bass definition?
The 10" are smoother (more flat), cleaner and have a relaxed feel while still being more defined. Are you using our DiDs under any of your components? They tend to allow for more bass definition.
thanks,
Lou

rbbert

« Reply #68 on: 1 Oct 2020, 02:06 pm »
As can be seen in the photo, there are chrome spikes and DAD under the speakers (although I have used black under the Ulysses; are they better?  :lol:).  The bass may be slightly better, but in my listening so far it is not as noticeable as other areas of improvement, which may be due solely to choice of source material up to this time.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 1 Oct 2020, 11:31 pm »
As can be seen in the photo, there are chrome spikes and DAD under the speakers (although I have used black under the Ulysses; are they better?  :lol:).  The bass may be slightly better, but in my listening so far it is not as noticeable as other areas of improvement, which may be due solely to choice of source material up to this time.

Yes, the Stainless Steel/Brass spikes we designed are better. Funny how once you reach a certain level of refinement small changes become very noticeable. Those black ones while better than the common Chinese spikes still left a lot to be desired. Those old ones are made of soft steel and the density of our Stainless Steel spikes is a big plus. In addition the heavy brass leveling nuts add to the mix and help dissipate resonances. All of my isolation devices are based on the idea of using different density materials to dissipate resonance, and these work. :thumb:

btw I just designed some new steel plate bases that will use our SS/Brass spikes to be used with our 8" series speakers if people want more stability than just the spikes.

I think when you get your Ulysses upgraded you will then notice the difference in the bass.  :popcorn:  As it is now there is a considerable difference between your new Apollo11 and your older Ulysses so the bass is the least different.

advanced101

« Reply #70 on: 2 Oct 2020, 02:30 pm »

btw I just designed some new steel plate bases that will use our SS/Brass spikes to be used with our 8" series speakers if people want more stability than just the spikes.

Any Pictures?  :popcorn:

rbbert

« Reply #71 on: 2 Oct 2020, 11:24 pm »
I think when you get your Ulysses upgraded you will then notice the difference in the bass.  :popcorn:  As it is now there is a considerable difference between your new Apollo11 and your older Ulysses so the bass is the least different.

That was my supposition as well.  Another thought I had was that better bass definition is contributing to the subjectively larger stereo image and dynamic impact without calling attention specifically to bass response or definition.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 3 Oct 2020, 12:08 am »
Any Pictures?  :popcorn:

It will be about a month.... We will do a release :popcorn:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 3 Oct 2020, 12:09 am »
That was my supposition as well.  Another thought I had was that better bass definition is contributing to the subjectively larger stereo image and dynamic impact without calling attention specifically to bass response or definition.

Yes the 10" driver is very very smooth flat and defined in a way that is natural and does not call attention to the speaker.  Basically my kind of system :D

rbbert

« Reply #74 on: 7 Oct 2020, 08:57 pm »
One well known corollary of improving one piece in the listening chain is the subsequent desire to see what sonic benefits might then come from improving other pieces as well.  While I was quite happy with everything as it was when the Ulysses were the speakers, now I'm seriously looking into possible source improvements.  The Apollo 11's not only significantly improve on the Ulysses, they fit with the room acoustics better; some issues I thought were room problems (through 3 sets of speakers over 12 yrs) now appear to be specific speaker/room interaction problems and have essentially disappeared.  Specifically, a stereo image always slightly to the right of center and an occasionally annoying 45-55 Hz "bump" are no longer a problem.  I suspect these are results of the woofer center 28-29" off the floor and the offset tweeter arrangement.  I've seen a couple of rooms with big "holes" (covered and concealed, of course) in front of speakers with lower woofers to minimize "floor bounce", which I guess in my room is what the bass bump was due to; most listening rooms probably aren't quite dedicated enough to take that solution.

A_shah

« Reply #75 on: 25 Oct 2020, 06:22 am »
Received my Posedon back last week have not had time to listen to them critically but first impression were certainly a surprise they do sound different ! more Bass as a matter of fact I disconnected my REL S/812 subwoofers , don't seem to need them.
The Bass seems to be more coherent and blends seamlessly with the mids and the new tweeters , when i am close to the tweeters they seem to be a bit shouty , but at the listening position they are blended in perfectly.
The finish on the wood seems to be a bit lighter and glosser wife seems to like this finish better .

Asghar

cheech

« Reply #76 on: 25 Oct 2020, 01:13 pm »
Aside from the new tweeters did you have the cap upgrade done; or what other  mods?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 25 Oct 2020, 05:44 pm »
Received my Posedon back last week have not had time to listen to them critically but first impression were certainly a surprise they do sound different ! more Bass as a matter of fact I disconnected my REL S/812 subwoofers , don't seem to need them.
The Bass seems to be more coherent and blends seamlessly with the mids and the new tweeters , when i am close to the tweeters they seem to be a bit shouty , but at the listening position they are blended in perfectly.
The finish on the wood seems to be a bit lighter and glosser wife seems to like this finish better .

Asghar

hi Asghar, The bass should be unchanged, perhaps they are in a slightly different position in you room?  I have sometimes found that even 1-2" closer or further from the front wall can make an enormous difference in the bass. Very room dependent and sometimes counter intuitive (moving speakers further from the wall but getting increased and improved bass.) The tweeters are brand new and will take a couple hundred hours to break in so initially they will be a bit harsh. Once they are broken in they are much cleaner and more extended thn the old Eton tweeters (which were excellent). The finish we use takes forever to cure but I have found that if after a year or more we clean them up and refinish and buff them it is a much higher gloss and richer finish.
I hope you can set them up to play when you are not home so that you get past the break in of the tweeters :D
be well,
Lou

A_shah

« Reply #78 on: 26 Oct 2020, 09:42 pm »
Lou
Thanks ! for chiming in , yes although I have tapes on the floor but they   could be a couple of inches away from the original  position,  either way speakers are nearly 4 feet from the front wall,  laser/ tape measured .
Cheech , had a question I don't know if you want to address that question ? As far as I know  only cross overs for the new tweeters were changed plus rings on the woofers etc 

Asghar

GregC

« Reply #79 on: 26 Oct 2020, 09:47 pm »
On the Athena speakers I just got from Lou, the treble smoothed out and the bass opened up after some break in time.  They are really amazing speakers, both in appearance and sound.