Cryo RAM Tubes ?

K.C.

Cryo RAM Tubes ?
« on: 9 Mar 2008, 07:15 pm »
Roger I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on Cryogenic treated tubes.

Will we ever see Cryo RAM tubes ?

I have RM9 #304 that you went through last August. The RAM KT88s are delightful.

After 30 years of enjoyment in this pursuit, and having owned many of the best amps made, I can't imagine a better sound!

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Cryo RAM Tubes ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2008, 04:15 am »
Thanks for your question and praise. As to Cryo tubes, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do such a thing. The reasons given are simply foolish. In my opinion it is another example of "snake oil" in audio. I am told by one who does it that the cryo fee is a few $ a pound. I was amused. Maybe I should start sell tubes by the pound. How many 12AX7s does it take to make a pound anyway?

Something I am currently looking into is the very slight signal leakage that occurrs in dual triodes. I am currently developing a process to improve the isolation between the sections of EM7's and will expand it to other types as needed. The clearing process takes several days so I have to build a big rack to make it a reasonable process.

Many years ago I was supplying 12AX7's to New York Audio Labs for their preamps. The input circuit was a cascode and would only work well with Tungsram 12AX7s. With other 12AX7s very strange (and audible) distortion would occur. We couldn't figure it out then (1982) but I think I have come upon the answer.

I would love to hear from anyone out there with the NYAL preamps using the cascode circuit and their experience with tubes of various makers.