Song3 BeAT in Spalted Beech just received

rmdtexas

Song3 BeAT in Spalted Beech just received
« on: 24 Apr 2019, 09:01 pm »
Just took delivery of my first pair of Salk Speakers. Song3 BeAT in Spalted Beech.  First impression after initial listening session is WOW!

maplemusic

Re: Song3 BeAT in Spalted Beech just received
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2019, 01:44 am »
Congratulations!!! Fantastic choice of veneer. Very unique look.

Please post more impressions of the sound after the break in period if there is one :-)

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2019, 02:49 am »
That  veneer is  holy shit incredible!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Meicheng

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2019, 03:44 am »
Those are beautiful.

kclark0395

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2019, 12:22 pm »
Wow! I thought my Salk's in bamboo were beautiful but those are just stunning!

NHSkier

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2019, 12:29 pm »
A work of art, as usual, from Jim and team.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2019, 03:25 pm »
Love the finish. Very contemporary and modern looking without looking sterile. How did you come up with that veneer?

rmdtexas

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2019, 06:01 pm »
Love the finish. Very contemporary and modern looking without looking sterile. How did you come up with that veneer?

Abd1:
i used the veneer locator, https://www.certainlywood.com/locator.php, that Jim recommends and looked thru practically all of the available veneers.  Took me weeks to make up my mind.  After i decided on lighter colors, i just kept looking at the  available options until i found one that hit me as what i was looking for.  One note, he also used a custom clear acrylic finish instead of the normal finish to maintain as much of the natural tones as possible.

I was able to specify the exact lot of veneer to order which was great due to the variability in the different lots of the same wood.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:58 pm »
Abd1:
i used the veneer locator, https://www.certainlywood.com/locator.php, that Jim recommends and looked thru practically all of the available veneers.  Took me weeks to make up my mind.  After i decided on lighter colors, i just kept looking at the  available options until i found one that hit me as what i was looking for.  One note, he also used a custom clear acrylic finish instead of the normal finish to maintain as much of the natural tones as possible.

I was able to specify the exact lot of veneer to order which was great due to the variability in the different lots of the same wood.

Your due diligence paid off. They look great. I'm curious about the finish. Is it more of a natural low gloss finish? Could you post any pics of them in natural light (not Jim's lightbox)? Thanks.

MiamiAngler

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2019, 12:49 am »
Congratulations on your new speakers!   I guess some people can look at the rough product and see the possibilities, unfortunately I’m not one of those.   They look really good and I personally know they sound great.  I was fortunate that Jim did all of the search and design of mine.

rmdtexas

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2019, 03:31 am »
Your due diligence paid off. They look great. I'm curious about the finish. Is it more of a natural low gloss finish? Could you post any pics of them in natural light (not Jim's lightbox)? Thanks.

Here is one in natural light.  It is a gloss acrylic that is supposed to add as little yellow/amber to the final product as possible. Jim consulted a local furniture maker for suggestions on how to keep the natural tones.

nigelnaim

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2019, 11:43 am »
Argh!  I should have known better and asked Jim about a satin finish. My wood floors have a satin finish instead of glossy. Now I am going to be forced to buy another pair of Salk speakers.
 :duh:

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2019, 03:52 pm »
Here is one in natural light.  It is a gloss acrylic that is supposed to add as little yellow/amber to the final product as possible. Jim consulted a local furniture maker for suggestions on how to keep the natural tones.

Really beautiful. Those will be a conversation piece for anyone who seems them, I'm sure. Then play them and watch their jaws drop. Enjoy!

maplemusic

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2019, 08:04 pm »
Congratulations on your new speakers!   I guess some people can look at the rough product and see the possibilities, unfortunately I’m not one of those.   They look really good and I personally know they sound great.  I was fortunate that Jim did all of the search and design of mine.

That is why I was asking Jim if its a possibility to take a picture of raw veneer and the final product to help someone who is artistically challenged ( me) see the possibilities

:lol:

DEP14

« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:57 pm »
Way cool.  Congrats!

SCompRacer

« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:10 pm »
Congrats! Beautiful veneer and an excellent job of placing it on those amazing speakers. I'm into Black Limba. Loved the veneer vault at Salk factory. Soooooo many choices.

Grbluen

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:56 pm »
Congrats! Beautiful veneer and an excellent job of placing it on those amazing speakers. I'm into Black Limba. Loved the veneer vault at Salk factory. Soooooo many choices.
Sorry for the hijack, but I'd never heard of Black Limba. It's gorgeous! I'd love to see some Salks in that veneer. OP, your speakers are beautiful! Have you had many visitors? I bet it's hard not to talk about the speakers!

SCompRacer

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2019, 05:54 pm »
Sorry for the hijack, but I'd never heard of Black Limba. It's gorgeous! I'd love to see some Salks in that veneer. OP, your speakers are beautiful! Have you had many visitors? I bet it's hard not to talk about the speakers!

Thanks! IMO Salk's have a high WAF. When I told her I was changing speakers, she was real excited to see something out of the ordinary and loved the Black Limba. The wife accompanied me on the 12 hour round trip to pick them up. She loved the veneer vault!

This is Jim's pic of my speakers.

Grbluen

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2019, 07:47 pm »
Sweet!

KC8ME

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2019, 11:13 pm »

Really awesome finish!!