Quantum Symphony Pro

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2003, 07:04 pm »
Sounds like it's not "Got Milk?" but more like "Get Milk!".  I must say Paul that everything you've stated sort of describes Z-sleeve's effects. This makes me look forward to Tuckers reactions toward the Z-sleeves that he's getting even more. :o Looks like I'll start looking for one of those money back guarantees in case everthing you've stated Paul has already been covered with the sleeves. But damn it, you HAVE peaked my interest. :lol: Please expand further after you have some miles on the Symphony Paul. :D And thanks. Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2004, 03:00 pm »
Tuckers et all: Tried one Electroclear directly into my power conditioner to my phono stage. Yeeecccchhh! Very bad Ju-Ju. Sound became flabby as Howard Dean's backbone. Tried it plugged into wall, again softened the sound too much. Finally plugged it into a totally different circuit. No discernable differences. This should only be used if you have an ear splitting brightness problem with your system.

Very happy with my usage of a single Symphony plugged directly into my dedicated stereo circuit. Serious improvement there.

Have a Happy New Year fellow tweakers!
                                                                             Paul G

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jan 2004, 04:34 pm »
Quote from: Tuckers
I use one.  It adds a sense of vividness to the music, while adding smoothness.  It makes my system sound a bit more like music.  It doesn't appear to have a downside when used correctly.

The effect can be too strong if used improperly.  It can be overkill if you plug it directly into your power conditioner, or power strip.  To find the sweet spot of the effect try it a few outlets away from your sytem connections.  Mine sounds best on an outlet next to but outside of my dedicated circuit. 8)
                                           I find Tuckers decription here to most resemble what I get with the Symphony Pro. Having the unit plugged into my conditioner or dedicated circuit washes out my system ans just isn't desirable. I find having the unit plugged into an adjacent circuit away from my system works best. BUT I do turn the thing off when watching tv. For my C-band satellite picture, I have a very strong signal that has ben IDF-calibrated to my BPT balanced power conditioner and using Bybee inlines on my componenent video cable along with a Bybee adapter on my S-video cable. The Pro overpowers my signal by overattenuating it that results in a brittle unnatural picture. This is one reason I have the unit located by my chair making it an easy access. I am not going to like returning this Symphony Pro to Gordy when my audition is done. :wink: Regards, Robin

WerTicus

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2004, 06:53 pm »
so why doesnt someone open one up and see whats inside and and figure out what it does?

then i can build my own for 10$ :P

Tuckers

Paul G
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2004, 09:10 pm »
What you describe with the Electroclears is how they sound when I plugged them directly into my power conditioner.  

I found that they work better a few outlets away.  They are a good way to tune brightness out of a system,  but if you don't have the problem, they are a negative.  I currently have one plugged in halfway across my house.  I can barely hear the effect placed there.  I'm going to take one to a firends house next week and see if it can help his entry-level system he and I have been building for him.

Guan

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2004, 02:15 am »
My Symphony Pro has been delegated to the kitchen supplying my fridge with 'energized' AC - I can almost convince myself that the fridge is a lot quieter as a result :P . Yesterday, I decided to plug it directly in my system circuit and it was not a good result. I heard a significant loss in top end detail and the soundstage and vocals seem to become more compressed. :?

I suppose my system now has no big problems AC wise and in terms of component matching, so I guess the Quantum is not helping much anymore.

satfrat

• Restricted
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:22 pm »
eichlerera & Tuckers, I am mow a proud owner of a Quantum Symphony Pro. I did a 3 way trade by giving up 2 Bybee inlines w/silver bullets in return for the Symphony Pro. I like what this little unit brings to my music from it's position in an adjoining room, well away from my system. There's no doubt that without all the power conitioning that I have done, this Symphony Pro would be a hell of allot closer. But as it is, just being placed about 25' away adds just the right amount of realism & freshness to the music. I want to personally thank Tuckers & Paul for the advise and imput on this little gem. Much appreciated! :thumbs: And thanks to Gordy for giving the Pro up, Gordy was impressed enough with the Z-Sleeves to do so. Guess it pays to try before you buy! :o  (hint manufacturers)  Regards, Robin

witchdoctor

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #27 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:14 am »
I'm glad you didn't have to part with your cash! I own two Quantum products, a regular and an Octave power strip for the amps for my surround and side axis active speakers and my projector.
If you like this product you should try the Blue Circle Noise Hound MK 3.
Same deal about plugging it into a PLC or wall socket passively. It is shocking that it can still add blackness to a system as power conditioned as mine, but it does. Got mine from Phil Lamm who has a return policy.
Of the two units it is a matter of preference, for the price of a pair of cheap cables it made a nice difference.

satfrat

• Restricted
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:39 am »
Quote from: witchdoctor
I'm glad you didn't have to part with your cash! I own two Quantum products, a regular and an Octave power strip for the amps for my surround and side axis active speakers and my projector.
If you like this product you should try the Blue Circle Noise Hound MK 3.
Same deal about plugging it into a PLC or wall socket passively. It is shocking that it can still add blackness to a system as power conditioned as mine, but it does. Got mine from Phil Lamm who has a return policy.
Of the two units it is a matter of preference, for the price of a pair of cheap cables it made a nice difference.
                 Thanks for the suggestion, I recently picked up up the Golden Sound Acoustic Discs and 8th Nerve Echos from Phil Lamm of Sonic Spirits, a delightful guy to deal with and excellent delivery service. I think I'll be lookig at more 8th Nerve room treatment from Phil before anything else. It's funny about the Symphony Pro, I have to turn it off for tv viewing as it washes out my satellite picture. I also had to move the unit back away from my system as it tended to bloom the sound to a fatiguing level. I really didn't need it but I didn't need 2 Bybee inlines on my digital cable either so I kept the Pro. Distance will dial in the amount of clarity, attenuation, whatever you want to call what the Quantum unit does, so it has it's uses. BTW, I'll be using a Z-sleeve on my subwoofer cable once Lonewolf's done with them. Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #29 on: 5 Jan 2004, 05:13 am »
satfrat said: "BTW, I'll be using a Z-sleeve on my subwoofer cable once Lonewolf's done with them. Regards, Robin".  ...  Done with them... I'm gonna sell'em and buy some new equipement....." Hey...buddy...come over here...ya wanna buy some Z's....I can give ya a good deal ???"... :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #30 on: 5 Jan 2004, 05:57 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
satfrat said: "BTW, I'll be using a Z-sleeve on my subwoofer cable once Lonewolf's done with them. Regards, Robin".  ...  Done with them... I'm gonna sell'em and buy some new equipement....." Hey...buddy...come over here...ya wanna buy some Z's....I can give ya a good deal ???"... :lol:
              Sounds like a DAMN GOOD deal to me, and it'll get sha about half way to those african driftwood VR-1's that you want so bad. :lol:  And don't forget the purple bag Wolfy! :o Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #31 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:07 pm »
Robin,
          I want to second the recommendation on the Noise Hounds. I too bought a couple from Phil and was very pleased with the results. They seem to work synergistically with the Symphony (eg. the Noise Hounds lower the noise floor, while the Symphony defines the soundfield and reduces brightness).
          Unfortunately, these are a must-have, Robin. Maybe you can trade for these puppies too!
          Witchdoctor. Try plugging one of the Noise Hounds directly into the extra unswitched  power outlet on your HT receiver/processor (if there is one on your unit).
                                                                         Paul G

Jay S

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #32 on: 6 Jan 2004, 06:44 am »
Guan,

You are treating your ref very well!   :P  Hope you and the family enjoyed the holidays.  

Seriously, I agree that a Symphony Pro will help if your power is not yet clean enough.  In my system, Guan's SP used to always help, but that was no longer the case when I added 2 Noisehounds and a bybee filter in the power cord supplying my balanced power supply.

satfrat

• Restricted
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jan 2004, 07:06 am »
Hi Jay, I must respectfully diagree as I have 23 Bybee's including 4 in my BPT BP2.5, lots of ERS, upgraded power cords, 11 Z-sleeves. AND with all this, I had to back off on the Pro a good 20 feet cuz it was just too much. I feel that there's more going on here than just clean power. At least this is my take on it. Bottom line, I like a smidgen of Quantum with my balanced power a la Bybee with a side of Z-sleeves, all laid out on ERS,,,,, with Ridge Street cables to suck it all up! :D Regards, Robin

Jay S

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #34 on: 6 Jan 2004, 07:56 am »
Hi Robin,

Happy new year!

I don't disagree with what you hear but my system got to the point where adding the Symphony Pro did not help... in fact it hurt in some ways.  This point of diminised returns seems to occur at different points... you haven't gotten to it with your system in spite of having more power filtration than me.  

I think I'm done with power filtration.  Only possible upgrade is rewiring my dac power supply with Nitro cable.  

Cheers,

- Jay

satfrat

• Restricted
Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #35 on: 6 Jan 2004, 08:11 am »
Happy New Year to you too Jay. :D I agree with ya, I think I'm done on the conditioning also. The Pro was given up by a BPT owner who had lost his need for it. I really wasn't expecting anything from it but I was surprised. Never say never I guess. I gave up 2 Bybee inlines w/silver bullet for it so I guess I should say 21 system Bybee's now. :lol: It's time to tweak the room anywho,,, Regards, Robin

Tuckers

I have a somewhat over kill power system too
« Reply #36 on: 6 Jan 2004, 08:39 am »
I have a dedicated line, 15 Quiet lines throughout the house, a Noise Hound, Symphony Pro, Silent Source cable to Sound Applications Line Stage, Elrod 3 to Equitech Q2 Special, Silent source cables to components, Z sleeves in a few places.  

I live near a really big antenna array (TV, HDTV, Radio, private and military uses) a mile and a half away.  So, I need quite a bit of help.  While the RFI and EMI measured inside the house is quite small, the power is filthy!

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: I have a somewhat over kill power system too
« Reply #37 on: 6 Jan 2004, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: Tuckers
I have a dedicated line, 15 Quiet lines throughout the house, a Noise Hound, Symphony Pro, Silent Source cable to Sound Applications Line Stage, Elrod 3 to Equitech Q2 Special, Silent source cables to components, Z sleeves in a few places.  

I live near a really big antenna array (TV, HDTV, Radio, private and military uses) a mile and a half away.  So, I need quite a bit of help.  While the RFI and EMI measured inside the house is quite small, the power is filthy!
Damn  guy, xxx-rated power! :D I hope you tried a Z-sleeve on your power cord to your Equitech, this sounds like a real good place for one. Regards, Robin