Clean Power for Audio

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:48 am »
OK Byteme, you wormed it out of me, I'm just flat out jeolous of you. :lol: I've spent thousands on Bybee's and even more on my BPT unit and you've done what I could have don't with medical grade transformers. MAYBE! There's really no way of knowing. But I do hold power conditioning in high esteem. Studied under the one and only PsychicAnimal. I actually built up that first beore anything else. I even went so far as to get my speakers LAST. @@s backwards or what? But I know what power conditioning does and is still doing for me. There is no last word on clean power, at least from the power lines anyways. About the only thing RTC got right,(I think?) But just the fact that you are talking up Traphazers puts them on my "what if" list. Regards, Robin

Lak

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2003, 01:24 pm »
Cryo'd outlets are great.  I prefer the non-nickel plated because the nickel plated can sometimes produce a harsh tiny sound.  I really like the Porter port as seen on Audiogon: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/search2.pl?seller&zzAlbertporter&1&1&1&.

I've experimented with many cryo'd outlets over the past two years.  Read this review: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?raccs&1065488253&openfrom&1&4#1

I also am using a good set-up for clean power see: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vstrt&1041994460

Notice the pictures of the two 5 KVA isolation transformers 220v that filter power and feed my dedicated circuits 120v in my sub-panel.

It's the cleanest power I've experienced, all for under $1000.

I hope this helps
 :mrgreen:

Jay S

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2003, 02:13 pm »
This is interesting... I was thinking of getting some Acme silver plated outlets but it seems that Lak for one prefers the Porters.

Has anyone taken a closer look at the industrial grade duplex outlets used by Blue Circle in their Music Ring balanced power supplies?  I was previously discouraged from "upgrading" them as I was told that they have a tighter grip than hospital grade outlets.  That said, I expect there is more to a good outlet than just its grip!  

I have 3 duplex outlets in my balanced power supply, and would consider getting one for my wall outlet (though I'd have to see if it will fit in a British-style single outlet receptacle).

Double Ugly

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2003, 02:27 pm »
Thanks to all for responding to my questions.  Due to your insight and suggestions, I've emailed Mr. Porter about purchasing 2 of his cryo'd outlets.  

DU

audiojerry

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:20 pm »
If you want a Brick Wall, I will sell you mine. I don't like it for audio because I noticed a loss of dynamics. I relegated it to my HT components. It's supposed to be a great surge protector.

Sorry to divert the thread again, but I wanted to comment on Triphazers. They have gotten a lot of bad ink from 'experts' and others who appear to be on a mission to protect audiophiles from con artists. Most of those who I have talked with and have given them a serious audition swear by them and cannot listen to their system without them.

I think part of the bad image has unfortunately been fueled by the designer himself. Byteme gave a good example of his character resembling that of the scientist from "Back to the Future". He is a brilliant guy, but does not like to divulge the specifics of Triphazer design. When pressed by reveiwers or inquirers, he doesn't have much patience with them, especially when they appear to lack an understanding of the theory behind his approach. His replies rub folks the wrong way resulting in a negative viewpoint of his product, which has nothing to do with the product's performance.  He is gifted designer and technician, but I believe his lack of marketing savy has damaged the potential of his business.    

I gave up trying to figure out  "why" Triphazers work, and instead just blissfully accept that they do something that makes the end result more right. Thanks for the compliment on my system Byteme. Lots of listeners have said the same thing, even though it's been heard with different speakers, different amps, different front-ends, and different wire. The thing that has remained constant through all this is Triphazers.

I was a big user of Bybees. There are lots of believers in Bybees, but to me the technology behind Bybees is just as mysterious. Once I began using Triphazers, the Bybee's became unnecessary. The impact that Triphazers had in my system is far more dramatic.

I agree that they are pricey, and if I were in the market today, I would not consider them, but my budget and priorities have changed. The price is hard to come to terms with. When I decided to try them, I felt safe because of the 90 day trial period.

byteme

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:32 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
If you want a Brick Wall, I will sell you mine. I don't like it for audio because I noticed a loss of dynamics. I relegated it to my HT components. It's supposed to be a great surge protector.

I also used to have a brickwall.  After, again, too much research I found out that noting beats a brickwall for protection.  MUCH better than MOV based protection devices.  So I bought one to protect all the audio and HT gear.  At the time my system revolved entirely around HT.  My Denon 3802 was my amp and preamp.  That changed when I realized that 2 channel SUCKED in this setup.  I've since been on the journey, yet again, to find 2 channel satisfaction.  Once I learned a bit about power conditioning and listened to some things, quite literally the first thing I sold was the brickwall.  As a protection device you can't beat it but I didn't care for what it did to the sound.  Now with the Iso Transformer route I've got almost as much protection and very clearly better sound.  Oh, and for less money!!!

Psychicanimal

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2003, 01:50 am »
Children:

Power delivery/noise control is ALWAYS system specific and has to be addressed in terms of strategy, not products  (have I said that before?).

This subject is composed of four areas:

1) Power delivery/stabilization
2) Cleaning up power
3) Preventing cleaned power from getting cross contaminated
4) Not ruining the music in the process.

There's many types of filtration and corresponding devices.  Use the search function, do your research and find out what works best for your application & budget.  There's a lot of good stuff in the surplus market.

eichlerera1

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2003, 06:25 am »
If you have followed some threads concerning ERS usage, you know I'm a big believer in eliminating EMI/RFI. I've being experimenting with shunt capacitance and Ferrite Clamps over the past couple of months. I own a couple of Power Wedges that are the heart of my power conditioning system. The high current plugs do not seem to limit anything involved with the system's sonic character (it in fact improves it). This this I've added the following with good results: 1) Around  30 ferrite clamps (very cheap from Digi-Key) which are attached to both ends of every power cord in my system. I also put a couple on the output of my DVD/CD player. 2) Two Blue Circle Noise Hounds 3) A pair of Enacom caps which go across the speaker inputs. 4) A fair amount of ERS paper and still adding.                                                                                          The resolution has improved quite a bit. In the near future I will be adding some Audioprism Quietlines to several noisy, non stereo power receptacles. I've got a couple of Enacom Power Line shunt filters on the way. I don't think you can overdo shunt capacitance (at least I'm hankering to prove this). One tweek that I can't remember anyone mentioning is to plug one of these shunts into an extra unswitched AC outlet which typically are on the back panel of the AV receiver. This would put shunt capacitance directly onto the amplifier's bus. I'll let the world know how this evil plan turns out, unless one of you tweekers beat me to it.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2003, 06:57 am »

Sorry to divert the thread again, but I wanted to comment on Triphazers. They have gotten a lot of bad ink from 'experts' and others who appear to be on a mission to protect audiophiles from con artists. Most of those who I have talked with and have given them a serious audition swear by them and cannot listen to t ...
                        I fail to see how you think your diverting anything here Jerry by talking about Triphazers in a "clean power for audio" thread. It's all relevent be it AC power or signal power. :lol: I want to thank you for your indepth views. What bothers me the most about the reviews isn't an explanation of how/why they work but the fact that they didn't work for the reviewers. All said that the sound suffered by having them in their system. Wouldn't consider a trade audition  would you Jerry, Triphazers for Bybee's? Bybee's aren't cheap either when you have as many as I have but at least there's some good press on them and there's no shortage of sources for them. Regards, Robin

audiojerry

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #29 on: 25 Nov 2003, 02:28 pm »
Wouldn't consider a trade audition would you Jerry, Triphazers for Bybee's? Bybee's aren't cheap either when you have as many as I have but at least there's some good press on them and there's no shortage of sources for them. Regards, Robin

Sorry, but I can't live without Triphazers in my system. I'd recommend taking advantage of Tritium Electronics 90 trial period. Mike of Tritium recommends starting with speaker level Triphazers, then moving on to line level, then power cord.  For me the most dramatic result came from the power cord Triphazer connected to my cdp. It's instantaneous and clearly noticeable.  

Speaker Triphazers take the longest to settle in, and the effects are so gradual that it might be hard for some users to notice. This might be why some reviews are negative.  I had episodes of doubt myself in the early days, but the affirmation occurred when I removed them from my system. Without them my system became unlistenable.

The results could be system dependent, but it hasn't been for me. Regardless of what's in my system, the Triphazers always work. However, they are not effective everywhere in my system. Power cord Triphazers did not work with my former amp, which had an IEC power cord.  

Another reason for disappointing auditions might be due to the listener's expectations, kind of like when you mistakenly take a drink from a can of beer but you were expecting it to be a coke.  :o  When auditioning a new component in your system, you try to notice a difference in detail or bass or soundstage or imaging. I don't think any of the usual aspects change very much. The big difference is in listenability - my body and nerves seem more relaxed, the music seems to flow more naturally, and music timbre and harmonics seem more realistic.  

With speaker level Triphazers, the one thing that does stand out clearly is the ability of the speakers to play louder than they could previously. With monitors  listeners are amazed at how much output they are producing, more than they seem to have any business being able to do.  Maybe it's related to less distortion and artifacts corrupting the signal - I don't know the explanation.      

I formerly owned Bybee speaker filters (the type that attached to the speaker terminals), 2 sets of Bybee interconnect filters, and a Bybee Ultra Power Conditioner. The speaker filters did not have any effect that I could notice, but I liked the other pieces. I sold them because they did not compare to the effectiveness of Triphazers for me. I had Bybee's in my P3A dac as part of Dan Wright's Level 2 mods, but Tritium removed them when he performed what he calls the "Tempest" upgrade, which included mods to the P3A, P1A, and Monolithic ps. Tritium owns a Modwright P3A himself, so he likes what Dan does, but he has found a way to get even better performance from it.

Espo

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2003, 04:17 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Have you run wire yet?

If not, tell them to use #10 stranded THHN.  Also, the Wattgate 381's are badass.  I don't care what anyone says.  I compared one to one of the FMS back to back, and it's a no-brainer. . .  I've spent more on tweaks that suck. . .  ;-)

Good luck!

B

What is benefit of stranded? It doesn't come bundled in Romex form like solid conductor does, so it must be run in individual wires inside conduit. Is it just for better contact area when connecting to receptacle? Also why #10 rated at 30 amps, when using 20 amp recectacle?

Sa-dono

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #31 on: 25 Nov 2003, 07:47 pm »
I had Bybee's in my P3A dac as part of Dan Wright's Level 2 mods, but Tritium removed them when he performed what he calls the "Tempest" upgrade, which included mods to the P3A, P1A, and Monolithic ps.

I believe you mean the Bybees in the Monolithic P3, unless you customized your upgrade and added Bybees to the P-3A? The Triphazers look interesting, but it would be nice to have an explanation of what they do and how (especially at those prices)..although the same could be said about Bybees and many other items in audio.