redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: Tube pre with Bryston amps
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jul 2011, 02:12 pm »
Exactly .......... :thumb:

acadie

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jul 2011, 05:18 pm »
I will be using a Purity Audio Design Reference with a pair of new 7B-SST2 I will be getting this evening.

The Bryston will replace a pair of Clayton Audio M200 mono bloc. The Clayton sounded really nice. They run in Class A. But the heat they were generating in the room was a bit too much, especially in the summer. I have a dedicated room on the small side at 12 X 17 X 7.5.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:02 am »
Hi Acadie and welcome to the Bryston Circle. Gorgeous preamp you've got there. If your experience is similar to mine, you may find that your Purity will give off more heat than both of your 7B SST2 combined unless you're pushing them. Those 7B's also sound really nice at low volumes as well so they should work well in a smaller listening room. Congratulations on your purchase. What are you using for speakers?

D.D.

acadie

« Reply #43 on: 1 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm »
Hi Acadie and welcome to the Bryston Circle. Gorgeous preamp you've got there. If your experience is similar to mine, you may find that your Purity will give off more heat than both of your 7B SST2 combined unless you're pushing them. Those 7B's also sound really nice at low volumes as well so they should work well in a smaller listening room. Congratulations on your purchase. What are you using for speakers?

D.D.

I am using a pair of Space Tech Labs speakers. They have 2 tweeters, 2 midrange driver and 2 bass driver  unit (7 inches). The reason I have those speakers is because I had a full tubes system from the same company. They were the best sounding speakers with the Space Tech Labs equipment I had.  I paid them $5500 in 2006. They replaced a pair of Totem Mani-2 Signature and sounded better. I also tried some ProAc (D28) last year and again I preferred my DIY looking speakers.

Put it this way, I have not heard a speaker below $10K that make me want replacing those speakers I have now.

dragonsworn

« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:36 pm »
test

dragonsworn

« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:37 pm »
test trying to purchase & can't email till 2 posts are approved.

Gibalok

• Metrum Pavane/Manley Shrimp/4BSST2/Penaudio Cenya
« Reply #46 on: 12 Apr 2016, 10:33 am »
A lot of speaking on tube pre for bryston amp. I also have some compliants on the sound with bp26/4bsst2. Despite it is a state of the art in terms of resoluition, deep and controlled bass i feel some lack of body/warm in mids. Btw the female vocals is just incredible.. Trios are superb..

Did anybody try to pair bp26/4bsst2 with tube Dac?
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2016, 10:51 pm by Gibalok »

Pontus

« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2016, 07:49 am »
Hi!

Also new to AudioCircle

Using a 4BSST2 with a COPLAND CTA-305 tube pre. Results are stunning. Fluid sound and get that intimate feeling with close miked material. Very cool sound that can rock when needed.
The tube pre really helps with much of the really poor sounding nineties metal which i play to shredding levels and the 4BSST2 Power is more than adequate at my place

Regards
Pontus

stereodiver

« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2016, 03:22 pm »
I am using a tube VAC Avatar Super Integrated as my preamp with a BRYSTON 9B-ST power amplifier of 5 channels. I am bi-amping a pair of Magneplanar 1.6 QR. One amp for the highs and the other for the lows. So i am using 4 of the channels into 4 ohms speakers. At 200 watts per amp, in total 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms the speakers are swinging, jumping and making incredible reproduction of all types of music. After using the speakers alone for months where the bass reproduction had been very good, for Maggie's, I connected 2 REL T-5 sub-woofers, 1 to each channel and the music reproduction got even better, obviously the bass reproduction became outstanding. Tube preamp and SS amp., works for me.
I have a second system. A ROGUE tube pre-amp with Exposure mono blocks amplifying a set of System Audio 2K speakers.

threshold t-50

« Reply #49 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:05 am »
I'm using a CJ ET3 se w/a Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp w/great results. TT is a Linn LP12 w/a Ittok arm and a Dynavector 20xl2 cart. Phono is a Shaker Logic Audio w/has a Cinimag 1254 SUT. Speakers are Aerial 6B's.

gtaphile

« Reply #50 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:32 pm »
Using an ARC Ref 5SE with 7bSST2. The combination is exceptional. I tried an LS 27 which was not too far off the price of a BP26 a few years ago and the LS was a bit better.       

Gibalok

• Metrum Pavane/Manley Shrimp/4BSST2/Penaudio Cenya
« Reply #51 on: 30 May 2016, 08:11 pm »
Im stopped with manley shrimp. This small but vey musical tube pre is just a sole of the music.. It won bp26 in a margin actually with more liquid and melodic music.. Bp26 is a great amp but to my taste is a bit dry with 4bsst2 compared to tube pre even chip Manley Shrimp withbthe same power amp.

So hope its a right deceision to trade my bp26 to shrimp given limited budget.

Kennyman2

« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2023, 09:44 am »
I’m currently breaking in a new LAB 12 PRE 1 tube preamp with my 4BSST2 and so far so good . I was using it on the high gain setting, but have switched and prefer the low gain. The combo is not too tubey , but just enough to lose some of the solid state grain. So far I’m liking it, but need to put some more hours on it. As time goes on in the break in period it’s getting better . I’m hoping it opens up even more.

Luxmancl38

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2023, 11:16 pm »
I'm using a Luxman CL 38U se tube preamp w/a Bryston 3B cube and a pair of Aerial 5T speakers. Filling in the bass w/a JL Audio D-110 sub.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #54 on: 2 Dec 2023, 01:57 am »
Bottlehead Moreplay pre into a 2bSST. Excellent presentation.

crad

« Reply #55 on: 2 Dec 2023, 08:53 am »
I found there's definitely a cohesiveness that needs to be found while using a Bryston amp, especially with the newer younger cubed ones. I owned a pair of 7B-ST mono's, they sounded great (my favorite of the Bryston's) but not necessarily with my tube preamp as I found the amps did sound really nice and musical using a Rockna DAC preamp straight into the 7B's, and not nearly as dry/analytical sounding that I found with the 28B3's; the 7B-ST were sweeter but I also didn't hear that classic big airy tube type sound when I was used two different tube preamps with the Bryston's. Which led me to move in a different direction.

The cohesiveness and matching the two can be prickly but certainly doable, and the speakers & your ear preference also come into play. I really liked my 7B-ST's, now a bit of a hidden gem in the Bryston line up.

I later graduated up to a pair of McCormack SMC Ultra Mono amps and a modded out Audio Research SP3 tube preamp and never looked back, very responsive to the tube preamp and now a days I'm sitting down much longer while listening to music.

Sometimes you just get lucky with matching, the journey finding it is part of the fun.

zeeman

« Reply #56 on: 9 Dec 2023, 03:15 pm »
I have to admit these are some funny posts!  Guys, simply purchase a Bryston preamp and stop subscribing to "Audio Nervosa".  You'll also enjoy better sound than 98% of tube preamps on the market.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #57 on: 9 Dec 2023, 04:29 pm »
I have to admit these are some funny posts!  Guys, simply purchase a Bryston preamp and stop subscribing to "Audio Nervosa".  You'll also enjoy better sound than 98% of tube preamps on the market.

Looking at the 4 current posts (the others are 7+ years old, didn't read) 3 of them disagree with you and the fourth one even moved away from the amp.  :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #58 on: 9 Dec 2023, 06:14 pm »
  Back in the day I used a CJ preamp and 4B Amp with Maggies. OMG good. Then 7Bs oh my !!

charles

Markwatkiss

« Reply #59 on: 9 Dec 2023, 07:24 pm »
It has been my experience that Bryston amps coupled with an accomplished tube pre amp fleshes out the linearity of the Bryston.Presentation is richer and more complete over the musical spectrum.This fidelity cannot be achieved with solid state.