Bryston bashing over on Audio Asylum

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Bryston bashing over on Audio Asylum
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:23 pm »
I think that the folks who get all exercised every time someone badmouths Bryston are going to spend a lot of their time with elevated blood pressure. Bryston is a line which has been around for a long time so lots of people have had lots of time to form opinions about it both positive and negative. Many of the naysayers are just knee-jerk regurgitating opinions which they formed many years ago when they heard a piece of Bryston kit they didn't care for ( "Brightston " is still popular among these folks as an example, usually accompanied by a roll of the eyes and a " I know of what I speak so heed me - I am an AUDIOPHILE " sneer ). The gear has evolved over time and if they actually listened to some of the newer stuff they may re-evaluate their views but why bother - it's just easier to keep reciting the same tired lines ( Preferably while using the anonymity of the 'Net as cover ).
I don't consider myself an audiophile in that sense - I just like music. Coincidentally, I like how my Bryston gear presents the music I like to me. With that in mind, I'm not interested in getting into some "audiophile " slap-fight with every self-styled "critic" who doesn't agree with my choice of gear because I don't need their approval to validate my decisions as to the gear I buy with my hard-earned money. And frankly, I'd rather spend that precious time listening to music - in my case, through Bryston gear...

Of course, that's just my opinion - and I could be wrong :wink:

D. 

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:27 pm »
^^^ Well said  :thumb:

Be well...

werd

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:38 pm »
Yah where's vegas dave when you need him.... ^^^^^^

Diamond Dog

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:54 pm »

RELEASE THE KRAKEN !!!

werd

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:55 pm »

Viajero5000

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2011, 09:25 pm »
In my experience, Bryston amps/pre-amps are ideally suited for applications requiring very low distortion levels and noise floor coupled with high power and reliability.  That is what they’re designed to do, that is what’s advertised on the can, that is what you're paying the $s for, and that is what you get.  If that’s your requirement, go buy one, otherwise look elsewhere; I don’t think there’s much else to it.  But of course that sounds too easy, audiophiles need a bone to chew on.  So bring on the shamans and sooth sayers, the purveyors of snake oil and vendors of birds of paradise.  Consume ream upon ream of superlatives, spend your evenings arguing fervently on message boards; why not?

I was bored so I went looking for it...

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/bryston_7b_sstsup2sup_monoblock_power_amplifier/index.html

It would be very interesting to compare the 28B SST² to the Titan; after all, an “apples-to-apples” comparison would be expecting perhaps too much. Reinforces why I place little creditability in these professional publications. Oh well, at the very least, they do have pretty pictures. 

Be well...

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm »

fortunately he seems to not have a lot of time lately.

mclsound

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm »
You believe someone should consider a product based off a "value bracket" simply because their other gear has a particular price tag associated with it?   :scratch:
I believe that owning speakers(and other things) worth over 8 times the price of the amp is odd.I know that if my speakers cost me $20,000 I would not be looking at a $2500 amp(which if purchased used would be about $1300).
This would be like buying PMC MB2's and a Rotel amp(dont tell Stevie Wonder)...Really,the odds are that it will never happen.My point is that this review scenario will never happen!!!! 

mkaiser

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm »
front of the seat listening concentrating on whether he can hear the conductor fart in the second movement. Which makes it difficult to relax.

Quite the sentence. Normally i don't reply to this stuff but, i'm bored at work right now so hear it goes...

Believe me the conductor wouldn't be farting in the second movement it would be something worse i would think and IT would make it difficult to relax. Any way that is my pocking fun for the day.  :D

As for reviews... hearing is believing. Don't let someone else hear for you.

Also, Bryston is winning alot of various awards the past few years so they must be doing something right.

I think alot of the snobbier audiofiles and dealers out there for some reason think that if a company rarely gets awarded in the past for their efforts that they have no hope in hell of ever doing anything right and they get tossed aside, this is silly assumption as most companies try to improve their product or (and this is a big one) if a manufacturer makes quality stuff and doesn't charge a ranson for it, it will get tossed aside as not being quality just beacause it isn't priced right up there.

Bryston is an honest company selling honest eqipment but alot of people will not understand that due to the above examples. oh well, their loss my gain.  :)

Mark

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:44 pm »
Over here, in sunny Vancouver, there once lived a hi-fi salesperson that said with a sneer that my Bryston ST was a"Jeep". I said to him most deep and absolute that," if it's a jeep how could it ride like a Caddy? "  .......He has since disappeared!...........REDBOOK. :finger: :dance:

Freo-1

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm »
I've noticed a trend of late to put higher end electronics into "camps".  If you like Krell,  Levinson,  Bryston, etc. it seems that some of those folks talk down gear that does not meet their expectations. 

However, if you like McIntosh, Threshold, Pass Labs, etc, some of those folks consider that equipment to be "musical", and they consider the other camp to prefer "detailed" electronics.  The claim I've often heard from some of the "musical" camp is that the "detailed" components will give one listener fatigue.

The reason I point this out is that I've had a number of "high end salesman" describe this on both sides of the fence, depending what they sold.

So, as always, it is up to the individual to sort it all out, and get whatever they prefer. 

Bryston is first class outfit, with outstanding support.  For those who like their equipment, can't go wrong.

redbook

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
Well said. :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #32 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:02 am »
Over here, in sunny Vancouver, there once lived a hi-fi salesperson that said with a sneer that my Bryston ST was a"Jeep". I said to him most deep and absolute that," if it's a jeep how could it ride like a Caddy? "  .......He has since disappeared!...........REDBOOK. :finger: :dance:

Your anecdote reminded me of an interesting telephone conversation I had with an audio dealer when I was deciding on what type of equipment to purchase. As I was looking for a CD player, she inquired what type of amplifier I was going to use. I informed her that I had settled on the Bryston 28B SST² with a BP 26. “Oh my, you can do much better than those,” she replied. Curious, I asked her what she did not like about the audio quality of the 28B SST² and BP 26 combination.

“I have never heard them,” was her response.

:o  :duh:

Be well...

redbook

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:06 am »
Well there's the the whole story. Thanks for sharing that .. Redbbok. :lol: 8)

Napalm

« Reply #34 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:17 am »

Laundrew

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:19 am »
 :lol: :thumb:

Be well...

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #36 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:46 am »
After reading the entire thread I have to say it didn't seem all that derogatory.
Haven't visited AA in months. It has a new look, I kind of like it.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:47 am »
I "am" an audiophile snob. I have discovered Bryston is a fine product. i actually listened to it. And approve. (Bravo, bravo..)
So congratulate me, "snob girl", for buying the best sounding amp and preamp/phono i could afford.
Byrston 4B-SST2 and BP-26 with the BP 1.5 phono
I could say i would also have considered Pass, (Audio Research, Parasound and Classe') but i did not need to spend more, to get the sound qualityi want. And you KNOW I am fussy. I am not gonna put up with anything less than the best. (I can afford)

Bugsy

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:56 am »

Great come back RedBook! :thumb: I also get the same feed back from a HI-Fi salesperson in Van and it is Bryston competitor, but they didn't get all my money as I know what i like and hear.

Hey James the mayor of the city of Vancouver wants to reignite the Olympic party in Feburary so maybe you guys at Bryston can put on a demo or some thing. Would be great and just look at all the quests :D who would hear your equipment. I would be there for sure.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:58 am »
However, if you like McIntosh, Threshold, Pass Labs, etc, some of those folks consider that equipment to be "musical", and they consider the other camp to prefer "detailed" electronics.

There's one "audiophile " term that I'm ready to call " Bullsh*t" on - musical. It's a hunk of pcb's, wire, copper, silicon, metal and solder. lt is not musical- how the hell can it be ?  A trumpet isn't musical until ( hopefully ) a musician blows into it. You know what's musical ? Music , that's what. A musician , that's what. When an audio salesman tries to flog his goods to me using that hackneyed cliche, he'd better be able to include a part of the demo where said goods can pick up a fiddle and play " Orange Blossom Special " or I'm walkin'...

D.