Bryston B60R Guts!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Bryston B60R Guts!
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2010, 09:40 am »
You convinced me....I'm going to ship my BP-60 AND 4B ST back after Christmas and have the SST output package(s) installed.

You can upgrade an 4B ST to SST? That's news to me... :scratch:

1ZIP

« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:26 pm »
The statement may be a little misleading.  No you can't up grade an ST to an SST.  However,

"What we can do is replace the original output transistor package with the
SST equivalent."

....... that's pretty much what I said.

1ZIP

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2010, 10:45 pm »
...well the latest info is the SST equivalent output transistor package is only being done on the 9B-ST.  At least for now...I guess. :(

vegasdave

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:13 am »
...well the latest info is the SST equivalent output transistor package is only being done on the 9B-ST.  At least for now...I guess. :(

I see. Very interesting nevertheless. I had no idea that could be done!

It's great to be a BRYSTON owner and get your amps upgraded for minimal cost!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:26 pm »
What can be done is specific to the amp and/or preamp itself.  Also, Bryston USA told me that my B60 couldn't be upgraded.  When I told them that James said it could be done, they told me to call Mike Pickett.  My B60 had to go to Canada for it.  Both places made the process easier - sent it Bryston USA (in Vermont), and the sent it to Ontario.  They dealt with the hassles of getting it across the border for me. 

1ZIP

« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:01 pm »
Well this is getting confusing!  Maybe James can straighten this out?  Can/will Bryston upgrade it's older amps (specifically a BP-60 and 4B ST) with an SST equivalent output transistor package?  What's the company policy?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:54 pm »
By BP-60, do you mean the B60 integrated?  BP series are preamps, and there's no BP-60 preamp.

If the B60 can be upgraded or not depends on what's currently in it.  Mine was at the point where it just started to be able to be upgraded, as it was one of the first with a different board of some sort in it.  Mine is serial number 601400, and date code 9932 (can't believe I can remember those off the top of my head).  If your B60 is after these, I'd say you have a good chance of being able to upgrade it.  If lower serial number/earlier date, you may not be able to.

Call Mike Pickett at Bryston Canada.  He's the guru that James will tell you to e-mail/call.  I'd say call, because there's more dialog and questions and answers that way.

Not sure what's available for your B60 or what'll be involved.  My upgrade cost $120.  Very reasonable IMO.  A friend on another forum had an older amp and preamp upgraded.  His cost was very reasonable too IMO.

1ZIP

« Reply #27 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:42 pm »
Yes, I meant the B60.....to many moving parts on the keyboard I guess.  You may be right about the age, my serial# is 601046.  The info I got was from Dennis after he talked to the folks in Canada.  Maybe their just not taking on mods to the older gear until they get the player and BIT backlog cleared up.

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:41 pm »
Well this is getting confusing!  Maybe James can straighten this out?  Can/will Bryston upgrade it's older amps (specifically a BP-60 and 4B ST) with an SST equivalent output transistor package?  What's the company policy?

Yeah, good question! And can SST be upgraded to SST2?!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:53 pm »

Yeah, good question! And can SST be upgraded to SST2?!

Hi Guys - I do not believe so but that is a Mike Pickett question.  mpickett@bryston.com

james

1ZIP

« Reply #30 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:52 am »
Well I sent an email off to Mike, we will see what the answer is. 

My guess is the B60 can modified with an equivalent SST transistor output package depending upon the serial#.  I think the 4B ST can be also.  But I don't think an SST can be upgraded to an SST2.  Now whether Bryston wants to do the first two or has the time at this point may be another matter.

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:32 am »
Thanks for doing that, man.

1ZIP

« Reply #32 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:55 pm »
So far no response.  I imagine they are pretty busy back there though.

Mike Pickett

« Reply #33 on: 17 Dec 2010, 07:47 pm »
So far no response.  I imagine they are pretty busy back there though.

Hey there;

Sorry, I haven't actually seen an e-mail from you, but James pointed me to this thread, so I figured I'd just reply here.

We've done a few 'SST output' upgrades on the B60, with favourable results, and I'm sure we can also apply it to 4B/3BST units as well, with minimal modification required.  We have been charging $150.00 for the B60 upgrades, and the 4B would probably run around $400.00.  Shipping both ways, and packaging (if needed) would be extra.

Thanks,

Mike

vegasdave

« Reply #34 on: 17 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm »
Awesome Mike. Only $400? That's a steal. Thanks for the info!

1ZIP

« Reply #35 on: 18 Dec 2010, 12:06 am »
Hey there;

Sorry, I haven't actually seen an e-mail from you, but James pointed me to this thread, so I figured I'd just reply here.

We've done a few 'SST output' upgrades on the B60, with favourable results, and I'm sure we can also apply it to 4B/3BST units as well, with minimal modification required.  We have been charging $150.00 for the B60 upgrades, and the 4B would probably run around $400.00.  Shipping both ways, and packaging (if needed) would be extra.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike, expect my 4B ST after the holiday rush.

vegasdave

« Reply #36 on: 18 Dec 2010, 12:24 am »
Thanks Mike, expect my 4B ST after the holiday rush.

:thumb:

lanchile

« Reply #37 on: 18 Dec 2010, 02:31 am »
What a wonderful service has Bryston, I am not upgrading mine even if I could...Why? Because it sounds wonderful as it is now!!! and I believe it will stay like that for a long, long, long time. hey it is a Bryston after all right!!! :thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #38 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:11 am »
Mike,

You upgraded my B60 a few months back.  It worked out fantastic!

I whole heartedly recommend it to everyone who's contemplating it.  Easily the best $150 or so I've spent on it.

1ZIP

« Reply #39 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:36 am »
What a wonderful service has Bryston, I am not upgrading mine even if I could...Why? Because it sounds wonderful as it is now!!! and I believe it will stay like that for a long, long, long time. hey it is a Bryston after all right!!! :thumb:

....and when I get a new output package in the 4B ST it will even be more wonderfuler! :)