Are you still impressed?

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
Re: Are you still impressed?
« Reply #60 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:32 pm »
Well, they definitely have that (looks) going for them. Of course not. I do understand not everyone likes Bryston. That's obvious. Anyway, I believe I've made my point here loud and clear regarding Volks. What he said just rubbed me the wrong way. End of story.

Anyway, again, let's try to stay on topic here. I'm not gonna respond to any Volks-related posts any further. If you wish to discuss it with me, pm me.

I am interested what would Volks said after two months.
Bryston is not for everyone as Bryston sound don't outflank (hope this is right phrase).

Oz

rob80b

« Reply #61 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:54 pm »

PS: to my fellow Bryston enthusiats, sorry to drag the thread down with my personal order but isn't it cool to have James jump in so often with info. I'm still impressed!!!

Gary

You didn't know? :(, it's like traffic tickets, he gets paid by the posts. :D

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #62 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:26 am »
haha, good one!

mv038856

« Reply #63 on: 2 Dec 2010, 09:46 am »
... I've got my CES badge and will give you my review there.

Talking about a CES badge... what is the best way for an end user to get a ticket to the CES show in Las Vegas?

I am considering to go there...

Thanks!

Markus

GaryArthur

« Reply #64 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:36 pm »
Talking about a CES badge... what is the best way for an end user to get a ticket to the CES show in Las Vegas?

I am considering to go there...

Thanks!

Markus

Not sure. I'm a "Consultant" for a buyer/dealer and he gets me my badge. So technically I'm considered an insider.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #65 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:42 pm »
Well, there's one way...your dealer can get a badge for you. Or a manufacturer. Or someone in the media.

Technically speaking, CES is a trade show not open to the public.

But, what the Hell, try to register and see what happens! It stopped being free on Sept. 30th. It now will cost you $100.

http://cesweb.org/

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #66 on: 4 Aug 2011, 02:35 pm »
Permit a brief resurrection of this topic…

I arrived home this morning after completing yet another dreaded nightshift and was greeted as usual by my big guy; Hector. “Let’s go check the mail,” I casually say to him and he begins his “Boxer” stretching routine.  The morning is still cool and our “mail check” turns into an extended neighborhood walk; hot weather is very dangerous for dogs, especially Boxers.

It was a good walk, no Bills in the mailbox for the Laundrew household and Hector saw a bunny rabbit.

After returning home once again, Hector receives fresh water and I venture downstairs to my room.  Pressing a few buttons, my cold audio gear slowly comes to life, LEDs blink and the gentle clicking of the Beasties powering-up is the harbinger of the ensuing tempest or gentle rain that will consume my realm. I resolve a gentle rain will visit me.

I place Projekt: Gothic ~an ethereal/darkwave compilation~ into the Esoteric and press play. I was enjoying this CD when Track 5  “Attrition - A girl called harmony” cued up and I actually remember raising an eyebrow and staring at the JBLs after a few moments into this track. You smile at the delicacy of the 1200-plus-watts Beasties knowing that are equally comfortable roaring or whispering. All the sublime and intricate details effortlessly floating in space: close your eyes and you live your music.

My audio equipment has been an integral and cherished fixture of my room for approximately two years and it still has the ability to leave me in simple bliss, it has not grown old nor do I suspect that it never will. I could not help but think of all the other items that I have purchased over the years, whether it be new vehicles or other items that have lost their “luster” over the years.

I have being up for almost twenty hours now and find myself relaxing with my trusted friend Hector by my side and my music. I often contemplate if audio manufacturers such as Bryston fully appreciate that they are building so much more than simple boxes – I would argue in my circumstance that it is an escape and simply life.  Here’s to many more years.

Be well…   

1oldguy

« Reply #67 on: 4 Aug 2011, 02:41 pm »
Laundrew.............you killing me softly.....but don't stop. :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #68 on: 4 Aug 2011, 05:41 pm »
I was without my 3B SST2 for a few hours. :bawl:

Bad speaker connection, took awhile to figure out the problem. I tell you there is no replacing this amp, the bass vibe it puts out! The other amps don't satisfy on the Paradigm Studio 100 v2 fronts.

However I prefer the SST on the center channel over the SST2.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #69 on: 4 Aug 2011, 06:33 pm »
Laundrew can really write! Thanks

1oldguy

« Reply #70 on: 4 Aug 2011, 06:43 pm »
For the record I'm more impressed with the gear I have.
Though I don't have my gear hooked up, and after taking the time to reflect on what
I've heard when i did,I just can't go back to what I had.I crave the clarity and refinement
That bryston has offered me.

Sweetspot and I will soon get together to see what Bryston will do for his system.
I can't imagine anything other than bliss when we do in 3 weeks.
Bryston has a charm about it's presentation,no doubt about that.

And no I was not paid by VagasDave to say that. :thumb:
Oh come all ye faithful........You know the rest.lol

SoundGame

« Reply #71 on: 4 Aug 2011, 07:32 pm »
I was without my 3B SST2 for a few hours. :bawl:

Bad speaker connection, took awhile to figure out the problem. I tell you there is no replacing this amp, the bass vibe it puts out! The other amps don't satisfy on the Paradigm Studio 100 v2 fronts.

However I prefer the SST on the center channel over the SST2.

Why the SST on centre rather than SST2?  Different amp models?  Or do you find that the SST brings accross a little more brightness / sibilance that makes dialogue a little easier to understand?

headshrinker2

« Reply #72 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:30 pm »
OK.... I gotta ask.  Laundrew, what do you do for a living?  Your posts are always fun and interesting to read. 

Permit a brief resurrection of this topic…

I arrived home this morning after completing yet another dreaded nightshift and was greeted as usual by my big guy; Hector. “Let’s go check the mail,” I casually say to him and he begins his “Boxer” stretching routine.  The morning is still cool and our “mail check” turns into an extended neighborhood walk; hot weather is very dangerous for dogs, especially Boxers.

It was a good walk, no Bills in the mailbox for the Laundrew household and Hector saw a bunny rabbit.

After returning home once again, Hector receives fresh water and I venture downstairs to my room.  Pressing a few buttons, my cold audio gear slowly comes to life, LEDs blink and the gentle clicking of the Beasties powering-up is the harbinger of the ensuing tempest or gentle rain that will consume my realm. I resolve a gentle rain will visit me.

I place Projekt: Gothic ~an ethereal/darkwave compilation~ into the Esoteric and press play. I was enjoying this CD when Track 5  “Attrition - A girl called harmony” cued up and I actually remember raising an eyebrow and staring at the JBLs after a few moments into this track. You smile at the delicacy of the 1200-plus-watts Beasties knowing that are equally comfortable roaring or whispering. All the sublime and intricate details effortlessly floating in space: close your eyes and you live your music.

My audio equipment has been an integral and cherished fixture of my room for approximately two years and it still has the ability to leave me in simple bliss, it has not grown old nor do I suspect that it never will. I could not help but think of all the other items that I have purchased over the years, whether it be new vehicles or other items that have lost their “luster” over the years.

I have being up for almost twenty hours now and find myself relaxing with my trusted friend Hector by my side and my music. I often contemplate if audio manufacturers such as Bryston fully appreciate that they are building so much more than simple boxes – I would argue in my circumstance that it is an escape and simply life.  Here’s to many more years.

Be well…

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:32 pm »
He is a drill sargent in the army :thumb:

james

Laundrew

« Reply #74 on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm »
He is a drill sargent in the army :thumb:

james

Actually, during my time in the infantry, I remember having my "derrière" most professionally chewed/shredded and/or diced by numerous Company Sergeant Majors on many occasions. As a reward for one of my stellar performances, the Regimental Sergeant Major saw fit to bestow unto me his words of extreme wisdom. Sigh, they never fully appreciated my sense of humour and I learned very quickly to never smile if they asked you if you thought that they were idiots.

:lol: :thumb:

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #75 on: 4 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm »
OK.... I gotta ask.  Laundrew, what do you do for a living?  Your posts are always fun and interesting to read.

Greetings headshrinker2  :D

Thank you for your kind words. Aside from constantly questioning my sanity, I was into Military Avionics systems (F-18s, CP 140s and CH 146s) for a little while, then I attended college and became an Electrical Engineering Technologist - that is what the paper on the wall tells me. I left the military, dyed my hair black and came out of the Gothic closet. For reasons that escape me, Goths and the military way of life are not compatible. I now work mostly underground attempting to figure out where the missing electrons in automated systems have gone while trying not to get crushed by huge, uncaring machines. Electrocution is also a hazard down there - oh well, all is not that bad as it mostly keeps me out of the sunlight.

Be well...   

werd

« Reply #76 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:10 am »
^^^^^

He builds blood sucking robots....

Mag

« Reply #77 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:42 am »
Why the SST on centre rather than SST2?  Different amp models?  Or do you find that the SST brings accross a little more brightness / sibilance that makes dialogue a little easier to understand?

Well, I was swapping amps around trying to determine why the right channel on the SST2 wasn't working. So I had it on the center channel for awhile and just found it too forward in your face. Whereas with the SST the center channel disappears. In another room however it may be different as I sit fairly close to the center channel. 8)

john1970

« Reply #78 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:51 am »
A very interesting question.  I guess at this stage I would say I am very content and satisfied with my two channel system.  I find it very accurate and detailed while at the sametime being musical.  For me it has always been about the music, and equipment is just a means to an end. 

Cheers,

John

Stu Pitt

« Reply #79 on: 5 Aug 2011, 03:22 am »
Excellent post and thread, Laundrew.  I always appreciate your command over the English language.

I've owned my B60 for about 4 years now.  I can honestly say my system gets better with every upgrade I've made.  Due to the B60 being the only constant, it tells me the B60 is the true star if the show.  It's become quite obvious that the B60 isn't holding anything else back by being the bottleneck.

I've been to a few shops lately because I need some somewhat temporary on-wall speakers that my now crawling daughter can't hurt herself with.  One asked me why I like my B60 so much (he was being good about it, not a jackass like so many others).  It really made me think, and here's what I realized...

It gets out of the way better than anything I've heard.

The warranty, James, build quality, aesthetics, etc. are great, but what's ultimately kept it here and will continue to keep it here is that it gets out of the way and simply passes along the signal.  It doesn't add or subtract anything IMO.  There's so much gear out there that tries, but Bryston does that better than anything I've heard - from the 'lowest model' (my B60) to their flagship model.

The way I look at it - it's neither forward nor laid back, bright nor warm, colored nor bleached, lush nor lean, etc., etc.   I could keep going, but I think you all get where I'm coming from.  It's got the least sonic signature I've heard.  Isn't that what all gear is supposed to do?