New 7B SST-2 (SQ) Review

jethro

Re: New 7B SST-2 (SQ) Review
« Reply #120 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:34 pm »
I don't mean to be critical Steve but it seems if you had stepped in 5 days ago with these words of wisdom, things might not have spiraled to the point of intervention and the restriction of 1 individual who had been trying to defend the smearing of a close family friend and ended up having to defend himself. There was very little going on here in the 4-5 days that suggested a friendly community of audiophiles and I would think it's up to you to be fostering this atmosphere with a little guidance before the fact, not after.

Cheers,
Robin

I absolutely agree. I have been getting behind a bit lately with the recent death of two family members and I plan to change that.

--Steve

BobM

« Reply #121 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:36 pm »
This whole thing has just gone beyond silly. Banned, not banned ... quarantined, not quarantined, posts deleted. Lets move on, but lets also recognize that different people have different opinions on equipment as well as musical preferences.

So Fremer wrote a lukewarm review. $H!T happens, either address his concerns as part of the next product iteration, as many manufacturers do, or continue on with your particular house sound. Either way Bryston will continue to have fans who appreciate that sound, which is fairly obvious from the many admirers on this forum. So it shook some people up. Sometimes that's what's needed to move forward and improve things.

Maybe the responses got a bit out of hand on both sides. It's Christmas and time to repent, forgive and forget and move on. Hell, I'm not particularly fond of Bryston amps, but I don't care for rebuilt Dynaco's either, though they have huge followings. I'm a McCormack lover (ancient Byrston counter-culture there, I'm afraid), but I also recognize the need for different styles to meet different people's needs, and respect what Bryston is doing for their fans (or fanboys if in some cases, I don't mean it in a bad way, it's just that some fans and anti-fans tend to be a bit rabid in their admiration and vocalization of same, still it's their perogative  :icon_lol:).

So Merry Christmas everyone, and I certainly hope we can all move on to bashing single driver speakers, or something similar.  :?

Enjoy your holidays,
Bob

mclsound

« Reply #122 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:33 pm »
Lets face the honest facts here...an $8000 pair of monos will probably never end up in a $4-$500,000,,so why review them in it??ODD!!
I believe this is also a article stratagy for magazine sales?????Everybody in the audio industry is feeling the pinch(Magazines to)but Sterophile has made a bold strategic move with the one company that is not only well reguarded in consumer audio but also pro audio...a follow up-you will buy it...a battle between the MF and the follow up-you'll buy it.In the end one thing remains
A GREAT PRODUCT,WITH A GREAT SOUND,AND THE ""BEST WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS"".

1oldguy

« Reply #123 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:00 pm »
Your logic is valid.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #124 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:10 pm »
  As a former Bryston owner I thought the review was fair, he liked a $30,000 amp better. So what is the problem ?
   Saying that IMO Bryston had been delt a bad rap many years ago that for some reason has stuck. Bryston as in bright. Razor sharp sibilants and the like. Yes it was so when the 4BST drove the Maggie 3As. It took a VAC renissance Pre to tie it all together. That was then. Today the Bryston house sound has changed. The top end is easier on the ears and overall a tremendous improvement from the days of brightness.
  What all of this has done is made want to listen to a Bryston amp again. The 28B actually. Having been at Harry Pearsons home and hearing the Maggies there was a revalation. If Harry liked the 28B so much and I personally am familiar with that room and system I wanna try one out. In the main room we heard several SS amps which did not disappoint compared to tubes. Just different.
  The MF review although not the most positive allowed one to consider that just maybe the speakers are not for bryston amps. Not every amp is for every speaker.
   It has taken me quite some time to find the best amp for my Pipedream speakers. Now I'm using SET mono blocks. Maybe the 28b will change my mind maybe it will not, I'm game thanks to Fremer.
   My second point is that a complete Bryston system of CDP,Preamp, amp would perform at its best. Just like cables IMO when they are from the same manf. throuhout the results are always better.
   Maybe mr. tanner could provide a Amp for our club meeting. with the Pipedreams. Dreaming out loud.

charles 

Levi

« Reply #125 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:05 pm »
Hey Charles, I heard the 28B at Son Ideal, Canada and was really truly impressed.  You may have to send check once you listened to them in your home.  :thumb:

musinteg

« Reply #126 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:34 pm »
Well, I just spent the morning reading all the posts ( except the ones that were moved, edited or whatever...).

What led me to this, is that a co-worker knows that I have an original pair of prototype 6B's that I am restoring, and he was very interested in buying. Then he read "the review"....and changed his mind. Now, obviously Bryston has come a long way since the days of the prototype 6B's, but the review scared him. That's how I got here.

After reading all the verbal jousting, the thing that strikes me, that everyone seems to forget, is that no two people hear the same thing, the same way. And even if they manage to hear it the same way, they might be listening for different things.

That's why we are all the same and all totally different at the same time.

I learned this lesson the hard way, as a start-up loudspeaker builder. My partner and I settled on a design, worked out the engineering, and a final sound, sent out prototypes ( at no charge ) for various higher end shoppes across Canada to review. The comments ranged from "lively, revealing little speaker" to "keep your home-built crap at home"......ouch.

Everyone hears differently. That's why , at one point years ago, there were 417 loudspeaker manufacturers in North America, each doing something different to achieve the same end....customer happiness.

That being said, there are two companies that I have always admired, Bryston and old Adcom. Why?...because, they both came up with a good design, that withstood the test of time until they figured out something truly better. With some companies, the latest amp might be the "Current Pump model 490" only because the models 1 through 489 all blew up when they were loaded with an impedance dip down to 5 ohms with a little phase angle thrown in for good measure.

Bryston doesn't go down that road.

Having owned a 3B for several years, and now the 6B's will be my new toys for a while, as well as OLD Adcom products, I like the music that comes out of both.

As for MF and his review..... Its his opinion, he is entitled to it.

Whether we choose to believe it or not, is our opinion, and we are entitled to that.

The bottom line is you gotta go and listen to form your own opinion, not just read the mag as my co-worker did, and I think that's the one thing that might be lost at some magazines and that has to be in large print at the end of every article:

"Now that you have read my opinion, on my equipment, in my room, heard through my ears, I suggest that you audition the reviewed equipment in your house, on your equipment, listened to with your ears, to see if you agree with me or not, because, in the end, the only person who listens to it, is you alone."

Opinions are like bellybuttons.....everybody has one.

Rob

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #127 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:49 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Bob, it is truely a pleasure to have you here. You've already proven (to me) to be an asset to this audiophile community and it was my pleasure to read such a friendly post that reflects on the Holiday Season.  :xmas:   :thumb:   :wave:

Happy Holidays,
Robin

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #128 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:19 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Bob, it is truely a pleasure to have you here. You've already proven (to me) to be an asset to this audiophile community and it was my pleasure to read such a friendly post that reflects on the Holiday Season.  :xmas:   :thumb:   :wave:

Happy Holidays,
Robin

I second that motion.  :thumb:
BTW Robin THANK YOU for your service to our country, God bles.

charles